Morris signals it is over

53 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What's your suggestion? 

The FBS landscape is all very fluid.  Fans and admins are emotional right now, as we can hear by Coach Morris and Coach Calipari's NIL comments.   NIL, Portal, G5, P4, P2, SEC/Big10 split off, a lame NCAA, CFP revisions, realignment still happening, etc.  Lots of issues and potential changes.  

I value Arkstfan's take on things.  He usually has a sensible, common sense feel for what could happen. 

In the Sonny Dykes thread he says... "Taking a break from writing a piece on this very subject. I don't think it's going to be what so many expect simply because nothing says the current framework has to remain."

Hopefully that means perhaps a new organization will replace the NCAA and get things back in order.  Once the courts got involved with allowing payments to players the earthquakes started.

I say hold tight for now and see what the near future brings in calmer seas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

The FBS landscape is all very fluid.  Fans and admins are emotional right now, as we can hear by Coach Morris and Coach Calipari's NIL comments.   NIL, Portal, G5, P4, P2, SEC/Big10 split off, a lame NCAA, CFP revisions, realignment still happening, etc.  Lots of issues and potential changes.  

I value Arkstfan's take on things.  He usually has a sensible, common sense feel for what could happen. 

In the Sonny Dykes thread he says... "Taking a break from writing a piece on this very subject. I don't think it's going to be what so many expect simply because nothing says the current framework has to remain."

Hopefully that means perhaps a new organization will replace the NCAA and get things back in order.  Once the courts got involved with allowing payments to players the earthquakes started.

Agreed!  Calmer heads will prevail.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

So, hope is your plan. 

No forward thinking, innovating, rethinking collegiate sports, etc. Just.... hope. 

Hope has gotten us exactly where we are right now. Hope ain't it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So, hope is your plan. 

No forward thinking, innovating, rethinking collegiate sports, etc. Just.... hope. 

Hope has gotten us exactly where we are right now. Hope ain't it. 

Where are we now...1-AA > Big West > SLC > CUSA > to AAC in Football and other sports is excellent growth.  Don't wreck it with a bad decision.    We have moved up faster than most schools and bypassed a few like Southern Miss and Marshall.  

Patience is the plan.  Over-reaction right now is not an intelligent move.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Where are we now?...1-AA > Big West > SLC > CUSA > to AAC in Football and other sports is excellent growth.  Don't wreck it with a bad decision.    We have moved up faster than most schools and bypassed a few like Southern Miss and Marshall.  

Patience is the plan.  Over-reaction right now is not an intelligent move.

For the record, I am not stating we need to disband the football program. All I am saying is that while we're sitting here with patience knowing the football program is spinning tires, why not dump some more funding into a sport where we have a chance to compete given the current landscape. The rules will not allow UNT football to prosper. It just isn't going to happen. That's very evident. If something takes place per rule changes that would be advantageous to UNT football then those funds could easily be restored. I never see that happening. Networks and major conferences will not allow it. 

On 5/10/2024 at 11:20 AM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Just watched it, and I have to say it was a very good interview.  I may not have liked everything he had to say, but he was frank and insightful.  It's just the current reality.

I too like his frankness and would rather have that then generic coach speak. However the kind of coach I think we need is one the acknowledges those realities, but his goal and messaging is, "We want to win championships, we want to get into the CFP, and we need to build the team to do it." If that's not who you are, move aside and let someone else takeover who is.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

For the record, I am not stating we need to disband the football program. All I am saying is that while we're sitting here with patience knowing the football program is spinning tires, why not dump some more funding into a sport where we have a chance to compete given the current landscape. The rules will not allow UNT football to prosper. It just isn't going to happen. That's very evident. If something takes place per rule changes that would be advantageous to UNT football then those funds could easily be restored. I never see that happening. Networks and major conferences will not allow it. 

I do like the spinning tires reference for football.  Everyone is currently stuck in mud until someone finds a way out for all.

When you talk about dumping more funding into basketball, what funding is this and how would you improve basketball.  Are you talking more private-funded NIL into basketball or Athletic Department funds?   You realize currently school funds can't be used for NIL purposes.  

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I do like the spinning tires reference for football.  Everyone is currently stuck in mud until someone finds a way out for all.

When you talk about dumping more funding into basketball, what funding is this and how would you improve basketball.  Are you talking more private-funded NIL into basketball or Athletic Department funds?   You realize currently school funds can't be used for NIL purposes.  

I'm not talking about anything NIL related until athletic departments inevitably take that over. In the now, I would start by cutting football support staff in half. I would push that money into basketball for recruiting, uniforms, in-season basketball marketing campaigns, pre-season meet the team night wit pyroworks, lazer shows, fog machines, giveaways, etc, basketball guest speakers for team/alum/fans, etc. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:20 PM, emmitt01 said:

Ok, everyone....

Sit down. 

Take a deep breath.

Light a nice smelling candle and rub some jasmine oil on your temples.  

Close your eyes and think of a babbling brook...feel the anxiety washing down that stream and away from you.

Now, open your eyes, and let this settle in.

HE'S NOT WRONG AND A G5 LEAGUE IS NOT THE SAME AS 1-AA

Of course it’s the same thing as 1-AA.  If you don’t have a chance to play to be the best in the country. You are second tier.  if you want to argue that we’ve always been 1-AA I would not push back.  

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

I want to be FBS, but the current environment is ridiculous. I keep thinking of FCS and the following that schools like North Dakota, South Dakota, and JMU (prior to moving up) have cultivated and I kind of think it would be fun to be involved there as well. We will never be able to throw enough money at football and we won’t cheat like smut, so I am almost resigned that this is where we will end up and I don’t hate it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 4

The way for this to work is for the super league to get to 20 teams. Then a follow up division with the other 110 programs or possibly there is 3 tiers. 

Super league 20 teams they all play each other. Yes a 19 game longer season. 

50 teams league 2

60 teams league 3

You play with in your league but at the end of season 5 teams switch up down. 

Bowls trophies and rivalries somewhat preserved. Yes 4 super league teams drop down each time with risers taking their schedule. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I want to be FBS, but the current environment is ridiculous. I keep thinking of FCS and the following that schools like North Dakota, South Dakota, and JMU (prior to moving up) have cultivated and I kind of think it would be fun to be involved there as well. We will never be able to throw enough money at football and we won’t cheat like smut, so I am almost resigned that this is where we will end up and I don’t hate it. 

We won't cheat like SMU because we don't have their level of giving....and probably never will. The other reasons are that cheating is not in our DNA, and throwing money is not either (I'll skip the cultural history lesson here). 

It would be nice if we had a following like North Dakota or South Dakota, but they are pretty much the only show in town in those states. HOWEVER, as an FCS school, we had our first and second sell out at Fouts (in its original 20.5 capacity) against SFA and SMU.....which was SRO. We never did that in the Joe Greene/Steve Ramsey era.

As an FCS school we traveled about 10K fans down to Texas in 1988.

So what was the main difference? We were nationally ranked........and the person in charge of promotions was a devoted NT alum.

Our football games are still not cultural events like all the other schools who have long standing traditions.....and who celebrate those traditions. 

OUR FOOTBALL GAMES CONTINUE TO BE CONTRACTED EVENTS. NONE OF THE NEW PARTICIPANTS COME AWAY FEELING A REAL CONNECTION.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

The only truly fair solution would require Congress to get involved.  The money is too large

I don't think Congress has the expertise or time to deal with organizing a sports entity.  It will take an FBS membership conference to organize themselves, but will require court-approved binding contracts for athletes with work rules to abide by.

13 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

So what was the main difference? We were nationally ranked........and the person in charge of promotions was a devoted NT alum.

Our football games are still not cultural events like all the other schools who have long standing traditions.....and who celebrate those traditions. 

OUR FOOTBALL GAMES CONTINUE TO BE CONTRACTED EVENTS. NONE OF THE NEW PARTICIPANTS COME AWAY FEELING A REAL CONNECTION.

I agree with all this. 

How do we turn games into an "event"?  Making the athletic program relevant to our own students, fans and area towns has to become more important.  

Winning helps, of course.  

• Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, NM Green said:

The way for this to work is for the super league to get to 20 teams. Then a follow up division with the other 110 programs or possibly there is 3 tiers. 

Super league 20 teams they all play each other. Yes a 19 game longer season. 

50 teams league 2

60 teams league 3

You play with in your league but at the end of season 5 teams switch up down. 

Bowls trophies and rivalries somewhat preserved. Yes 4 super league teams drop down each time with risers taking their schedule. 

GMG

Never going to happen.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:14 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I wonder how many P5 OC job postings he's opened up and read. 

My guess would be zero.

Being an FBS head coach is worth more than any OC job he could get after going 5-7 in one season at UNT.

When we go undefeated next season he will be running out to his mailbox each day to see what Power 4/3/2 schools are contacting him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2024 at 7:44 PM, UNTLifer said:

I want to be FBS, but the current environment is ridiculous. I keep thinking of FCS and the following that schools like North Dakota, South Dakota, and JMU (prior to moving up) have cultivated and I kind of think it would be fun to be involved there as well.

As someone who was attending UNT when we went into the season ranked No. 1 in I-AA under the late great Corky Nelson, I think you overestimate the joys of life in college football's second tier.

Let's say we drop a level, hire Jerry Moore and have the same juggernaut run that his App State team did -- three national titles, Michigan upset and all the rest. What did App State do after 13 years of FCS greatness? They moved up. Even with that incredible fan support in Boone, they said goodbye FCS hello Sun Belt. Would anyone there go back down even with today's madness?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rcade said:

As someone who was attending UNT when we went into the season ranked No. 1 in I-AA under the late great Corky Nelson, I think you overestimate the joys of life in college football's second tier.

Let's say we drop a level, hire Jerry Moore and have the same juggernaut run that his App State team did -- three national titles, Michigan upset and all the rest. What did App State do after 13 years of FCS greatness? They moved up. Even with that incredible fan support in Boone, they said goodbye FCS hello Sun Belt. Would anyone there go back down even with today's madness?

Times are incredibly different now as opposed to when App St. moved up.  I typed that somewhat in jest, but what is the end game now. I don’t want to be resigned to the fact that we are just a farm system for the P4, soon to be P2, schools. Kids using us as a stepping stone and we are just a revolving door of kids coming and going. 

• Puking Eagle 1

59 minutes ago, rcade said:

My guess would be zero.

Being an FBS head coach is worth more than any OC job he could get after going 5-7 in one season at UNT.

When we go undefeated next season he will be running out to his mailbox each day to see what Power 4/3/2 schools are contacting him.

He has successful bulletpoints as a P5 OC on his resume already. Ultimately, it's dependent on his network. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Times are incredibly different now as opposed to when App St. moved up.  I typed that somewhat in jest, but what is the end game now. I don’t want to be resigned to the fact that we are just a farm system for the P4, soon to be P2, schools. Kids using us as a stepping stone and we are just a revolving door of kids coming and going. 

I don't think the current status quo in the transfer portal and NIL is how things are always going to be. It's too much of a trainwreck. Either the Wild West will be tamed or it will be replaced with a bigger trainwreck.

In the meantime a good coach can still put a winning team on the field even if there's no multi-year continuity. Maybe Morris will show that he can take advantage of the chaos. Some coaches at our level will figure it out.

• Upvote 1