A-Scott Projected to OU

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

St. John's is a top 5 Big East team (a "High Major" conference).
They play big home games in MSG.   It's a great landing spot for him.  He'll get a ton of eyeballs on him there.

Who beat us by one.  True, Pitino, NYC and MSG are attractive, and they have history on their side, but is this currently really that big of a jump?

I wish him well, but it is far from what I expected.  Then again, St. John's has landed some solid transfers.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Who beat us by one.  True, Pitino, NYC and MSG are attractive, and they have history on their side, but is this currently really that big of a jump?

I wish him well, but it is far from what I expected.  Then again, St. John's has landed some solid transfers.

Time to consider how much our piss-poor NIL and attendance issues resonate with the players.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Time to consider how much our piss-poor NIL and attendance issues resonate with the players.

Anyone know if the AD does exit interviews with players to understand their motivation for leaving...or maybe even an inquisitive journalist could do some digging?  Are there any common themes, do they change over time or is each case unique?

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, keith said:

Anyone know if the AD does exit interviews with players to understand their motivation for leaving...or maybe even an inquisitive journalist could do some digging?  Are there any common themes, do they change over time or is each case unique?

Excellent idea.  I bet the sport head coach perhaps knows the answers, if the player feels like talking to them about it.

I wish fans were given more info.  Probably like HIPA rules...don't ask, don't tell.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

St. John's is a top 5 Big East team (a "High Major" conference).
They play big home games in MSG.   It's a great landing spot for him.  He'll get a ton of eyeballs on him there.

On the face of it, St. John's doesn't sound very impressive.  Nothing like Rubbin going to Michigan.

I looked it up, St. John's actually averaged over 10k a game last season.  Many voices have been telling us over the years that we need to pick up our attendance if we want to be able to get to the next level.  I don't doubt that at least played some part in losing Aaron to St. John's.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

On the face of it, St. John's doesn't sound very impressive.  Nothing like Rubbin going to Michigan.

I looked it up, St. John's actually averaged over 10k a game last season.  Many voices have been telling us over the years that we need to pick up our attendance if we want to be able to get to the next level.  I don't doubt that at least played some part in losing Aaron to St. John's.

St. Johns is one of the great sleeping giant jobs in the nation.  They have a fantastic basketball history (they haven't been that great for the last generation or so, but the Johnies do have a helluva tradition) going back about 80 years and they play in NYC at MSG.  

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

St. Johns is one of the great sleeping giant jobs in the nation.  They have a fantastic basketball history (they haven't been that great for the last generation or so, but the Johnies do have a helluva tradition) going back about 80 years and they play in NYC at MSG.  

Yes, I am aware of all that, and remember when they were very good back in the 80's or so.  But, as you said, they haven't been very great lately, and had pretty much fallen off the radar until a long-past-his-prime Pitino went there.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, CMJ said:

I guess if your want to live in NYC and can afford it.  No thanks!

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I guess if your want to live in NYC and can afford it.  No thanks!

It's probably the easiest place in the country to recruit since you literally never have to leave your own city and you are playing in the most famous venue in the world, in arguably the best basketball league in the country year to year (though I believe that's the ACC).  Any coach who gets that job will be able to afford living in NYC given they pay handsomely there.

They are 9th in all time wins, have numerous NIT championships (some when it was arguably the better tournament than the NCAA and could be considered National Championships), 30 NCAA appearances, nine Sweet 16s, two Final Fours, etc..

Yes, SJU has been down as of late, but is one of the best jobs in the country.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1