Seton Hall (3/23/24)

This must be how Seton Hall played when they beat UConn.  Based on some of their scores, they seemed inconsistent.  This must be them hitting on all cylinders which makes them one of the better teams in the country.

• Upvote 7

SHU 70 -------- NT 46

4:24 to go

Not that we probably would have won anyway, but we never seemed to have recovered from the massive run right before halftime.  If not for that.....maybe?  

• Upvote 3

Sad that the season has to end with such a bad taste in everyone’s mouth. Hope it doesn’t impact transfer portal too much. 
Also, Edwards’ size was really exposed in this game. SEC and Big 12 teams looking to poach him might want to consider how effective he will be against longer defenders.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We played with them for basically a half, but once they got the lead up to 13 -15, it felt like we were mentally broken.  Still, even if it wasn't the season we'd hoped for, I still give us a B.  On to October!

• Upvote 2

This game exposed some of our consistently questionable game planning.  Not sure if its a function of our starting 5 or the coaching. 

Seton Hall is a very good team, probably should have been in the NCAA Tourney, especially after seeing some of the first 4 and first round games.

The frustrating thing about today wasn't the loss, but not doing the simple things like making layups and timing our rebounds right. Too many times we seemed out of control and trying hard, but not playing smart. We really need to clean that kind of thing up because it's putting unneeded pressure on the team.

• Upvote 5

Another consideration:  the win over LSU lost some luster after the first round of the NCAA Tournament.  The SEC is overrated. 8 teams, 5 loses and most to much lower seeds.  

• Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This doesn’t really change anything for me. We went on the road and beat a team that beat us earlier in the season. That always feels good. 

I agree about going on the road and beating a team that beat us earlier in the season.  Great win.  I just don't think beating an SEC team means as much as it did before Round 1 of the NCAA Tournament. 

SEC had too many teams in the NCAA's.  The Big East didn't get enough.

Good season with lots of bumps/hiccups along the way, but they persevered and overcame a lot.  It was a gritty team that I really enjoyed watching play.  Just ran into a buzz saw today.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Another consideration:  the win over LSU lost some luster after the first round of the NCAA Tournament.  The SEC is overrated. 8 teams, 5 loses and most to much lower seeds.  

Maybe you want to compare resources and budgets between NT and LSU

Also the game was in Baton Rouge, a hell of an advantage

• Upvote 5

I think Seton is the better ball club by a substantial margin.  However, in that environment in New Jersey; the odds of NT beating them were very long.  

They have about a 1000 seat arena that apparently requires approval to aguire tickets.  So they are guaranteed the maximum home advantage.  I bet they don't play any Big East games there.  

I wonder if they would allow NT to play in the old Pit (men's gym) that use to hold over 4000.   Now that would be an advantage, by the way it was a wonderful experience going to MVC games there.   However, not for the old or faint hearted with horrible seating and having to stand most of the game.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

The frustrating thing about today wasn't the loss, but not doing the simple things like making layups and timing our rebounds right. Too many times we seemed out of control and trying hard, but not playing smart. We really need to clean that kind of thing up because it's putting unneeded pressure on the team.

Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you. All our guys can hit layups and free throws. Today they just didn't fall while we were playing against a very good team in a loud hostile environment.

Basketball Gods, please grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I’ll drink to that.

This was an outstanding season and I can't believe that North Texas basketball fans are complaining about losing in the second round of the NIT, on the road to a very good Seton Hall team, with a team that lost its coach and most of its starters to graduation and the transfer portal.

We've been spoiled as very, very few teams win as consistently as our does. The teams are doing their part.

Our challenge now is to build up the fan base so that we can afford to retain productive players. That means selling tickets, marketing the program, and promoting the hell out of our branding.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, ADLER said:

This was an outstanding season and I can't believe that North Texas basketball fans are complaining about losing in the second round of the NIT, on the road to a very good Seton Hall team, with a team that lost its coach and most of its starters to graduation and the transfer portal.

We've been spoiled as very, very few teams win as consistently as our does. The teams are doing their part.

Our challenge now is to build up the fan base so that we can afford to retain productive players. That means selling tickets, marketing the program, and promoting the hell out of our branding.

Great takes!  I’m curious to see what happens in the TP with our guys.  I’ve already accepted the fact that some will not come back. Excited for Year 2 under Hodge!

• Puking Eagle 1