Where do we go from here?

Just looking at the roster, it appears that without Jason we are a pretty ho-hum squad in terms of a very competitive AAC.  Robert Allen is graduated and Aaron while still a good player seems to have regressed as the season went on.  Don't get me wrong, I still think we have a fighters chance in the tourney but we will be lucky to get a 5 or 6 seeding as our losses have stacked up.  God forbid if Jason gets hurt.  Seems like replacing Allen who has improved has to be a key in the offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 4

15 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

Usually but in today’s NIL/transfer landscape, does it matter?

I get where you are coming from, but you still have to have a plan.  The long-term plan may not always work, but I wouldn't ruin his redshirt, at this point in the season, for a very short-term goal.  This is especially true if Nolan and Ruben get back for the tournament.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He has already played. In basketball I don’t think you can redshirt unless you’re seriously injured. When did he get hurt….?

Demystifying the Redshirt in College Basketball - 33rd Square

The NCAA has strict guidelines about redshirting that schools must follow:

• Athletes get one redshirt season during their 5-year eligibility window.

• Redshirt players can‘t compete in any outside competition, including scrimmages or exhibition games.

• Athletes must be listed on the active roster and attend all team practices to maintain redshirt status.

• Players can participate in up to 30% of games in modern conferences before losing their redshirt.

• Coaches must request redshirt approval prior to the start of the season.

4 hours ago, GMoney said:

I get where you are coming from, but you still have to have a plan.  The long-term plan may not always work, but I wouldn't ruin his redshirt, at this point in the season, for a very short-term goal.  This is especially true if Nolan and Ruben get back for the tournament.

I agree with the overall sentiment here, but if it was always the plan from the beginning to redshirt Cotton I hate the plan...especially when you take into consideration that Walker's eligibility was up in the air for as long as it was. 

• Upvote 1

if Rubin is back, the core is:

- Rubin Jones (Sr.)
- Aaron Scott (Sr.)
- CJ Noland (Sr.)
- John Buggs III (Sr.)
- Rondel Walker (Sr.)
- Moulaye Sissoko (Sr.)
- Matt Stone (Sr.)
- Jason Edwards (Jr.)

that's plenty to compete (obv. with an Allen replacement). with all the experience returning, I'm really not that worried about Edwards bolting after one year here...he has two years eligibility after this season, so depending on what the reload looks like for '25-26 maybe then he takes a chance elsewhere for his senior season. 

Wildcards:

- Christian Moore (Jr.)
- Alex Cotton (Fr.-RS...I guess??)
- Tyran Mason (Fr. incoming)
- Layne Taylor (Fr. incoming)

two big guards, two little guards. gotta feel like if this is all the chance Moore is being given...desperation 4-5 minutes a night mid-injury-crisis, and with the reins white-knuckled in Hodges hands while he's on the floor, that he's probably going to be asked to go find another home and Taylor is a straight in replacement. 

Oops:

- Chris Morgan (Jr. 4th year)
- Terrance Dixon (Soph.??)

so the math puts this at 14 scholarships...so imma still go back to the idea that Dixon is a walk-on (he was never announced as a signing via Twitter/website like the other signees) or the staff 100% knows that Jones won't be granted a 5th year. if Dixon is on scholarship and the plan all along was to redshirt Cotton, we ostensibly negated a quarter of the roster considering clearly Hodge was never going to play Morgan. that's some suss management. 

either way, growth next year is firstly dependent on clearing out some players. Morgan has gotta go. this is already 3 years of dead money. I also think Moore is gone and Taylor is a straight swap. it feels less likely, but if it improves the roster, I won't lose sleep over Sissoko or Stone leaving either. 

to that core group, we desperately need a replacement for Allen...I think it almost has to be another P5 transfer big man, preferably one who will unquestionably move into the starting line-up day one. 

I'd also love a true point guard with some D1 experience...and since this is my wishlist, make him 6'3"-6'5"-ish. this should move Edwards entirely off-ball...Rubin and CJ can be primarily off-ball wings, while spelling '24-25 Ryan Woolridge on the ball for stretches...and Layne Taylor can develop slowly.

beyond that, it all depends on who is leaving.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

We take a deep breath and relax. We've played one single game with everybody healthy since conference play started and we didn't even finish that game healthy. Every team is built differently and will have some mismatches. UAB has been tough for us for years. This team, if healthy, will contend for the conference tournament championship.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Demystifying the Redshirt in College Basketball - 33rd Square

The NCAA has strict guidelines about redshirting that schools must follow:

• Athletes get one redshirt season during their 5-year eligibility window.

• Redshirt players can‘t compete in any outside competition, including scrimmages or exhibition games.

• Athletes must be listed on the active roster and attend all team practices to maintain redshirt status.

• Players can participate in up to 30% of games in modern conferences before losing their redshirt.

• Coaches must request redshirt approval prior to the start of the season.

Is this rule new? In football it was 4 games out of 12 (I guess 30%) but basketball has always been once you touch the floor it’s burned. 😕 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We take a deep breath and relax. We've played one single game with everybody healthy since conference play started and we didn't even finish that game healthy. Every team is built differently and will have some mismatches. UAB has been tough for us for years. This team, if healthy, will contend for the conference tournament championship.

Wow dude, I haven't checked, but I trust this is accurate. If so, it's kinda crazy to think what this team really can do at full strength when they have played enough together.

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

Wow dude, I haven't checked, but I trust this is accurate. If so, it's kinda crazy to think what this team really can do at full strength when they have played enough together.

Pretty crazy but here's the schedule with who missed the game:

Wichita State - Buggs

Tulane, Temple, and ECU - Rubin and Buggs out 3 straight games

SMU - Rubin and Buggs return but Rubin goes down again

FAU - Rubin is out

UAB - Rubin out then Noland goes down

USF, Tulsa, SMU #2, Memphis, UAB #2 - Rubin and Noland out for each.

First SMU game is all we got with a full team and we didn't make it out healthy. We've led big in almost every single game we've played, except Charlotte and UAB #2. This team, if healthy, would be a top 3 seed. Guarantee nobody wants to play this squad in March if healthy.

• Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

First SMU game is all we got with a full team and we didn't make it out healthy. We've led big in almost every single game we've played, except Charlotte and UAB #2. This team, if healthy, would be a top 3 seed. Guarantee nobody wants to play this squad in March if healthy.

Agree with this, but we also didn't develop the rest of the bench to help.  We can't be a 6 player team going into the Tourney and expect to win much.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Pretty crazy but here's the schedule with who missed the game:

Wichita State - Buggs

Tulane, Temple, and ECU - Rubin and Buggs out 3 straight games

SMU - Rubin and Buggs return but Rubin goes down again

FAU - Rubin is out

UAB - Rubin out then Noland goes down

USF, Tulsa, SMU #2, Memphis, UAB #2 - Rubin and Noland out for each.

this is such great perspective on the season on a whole. figure in too that we were figuring out how to work in Edwards early and didn't have Walker until the UTA game...we've basically had 3-ish games with our best 8 players available...and we're 3-0 in those games. 

again...the core of this roster is legit and we've built a winning program and philosophy that isn't going to fall apart bc one season doesn't progress linear to the last few. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Agree with this, but we also didn't develop the rest of the bench to help.  We can't be a 6 player team going into the Tourney and expect to win much.  

When Noland and Rubin come back, we have a solid 8-9 man rotation depending on how much Stone plays and what he can get you. If Moore plays 4-5 minutes like he has lately, that's 10 guys in your rotation. Don't know what else you'd want.

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

this is such great perspective on the season on a whole. figure in too that we were figuring out how to work in Edwards early and didn't have Walker until the UTA game...we've basically had 3-ish games with our best 8 players available...and we're 3-0 in those games. 

again...the core of this roster is legit and we've built a winning program and philosophy that isn't going to fall apart bc one season doesn't progress linear to the last few. 

Yeah the start of the season is yet again another set of obstacles this team faced. When I look at the adversity this team had faced, I'm reminded that many championship teams across all sports can point to a series of road bumps they had to get over and that made them better along the way. This team will be fine. We just need to be patient.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, wardly said:

We probably need to win our last two games and have a deep run in the AAC tournament to be considered for an NIT bid.

Outside of maybe a pissed off ECU and FAU, our schedule is easy. If we could pull off the win against FAU at home, we could go into the tournament on a 5 game winning streak.

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

When Noland and Rubin come back, we have a solid 8-9 man rotation depending on how much Stone plays and what he can get you. If Moore plays 4-5 minutes like he has lately, that's 10 guys in your rotation. Don't know what else you'd want.

Rubin tried a comeback once and it didn't last long.  Sometimes these type injuries continue to flair up for a while.   They are trying to let it fully heal as long as possible, but need him back asap.  I wouldn't count on him as a savior until after we see that the injury is truly over.

Ross doesn't roll with a 10-man rotation unless forced to by injury during a game.  But a Tourney is ironman basketball.  If we are forced to play 4 games again in 4 days we will be in trouble.

15 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if Rubin is back, the core is:

- Rubin Jones (Sr.)
- Aaron Scott (Sr.)
- CJ Noland (Sr.)
- John Buggs III (Sr.)
- Rondel Walker (Sr.)
- Moulaye Sissoko (Sr.)
- Matt Stone (Sr.)
- Jason Edwards (Jr.)

that's plenty to compete (obv. with an Allen replacement). with all the experience returning, I'm really not that worried about Edwards bolting after one year here...he has two years eligibility after this season, so depending on what the reload looks like for '25-26 maybe then he takes a chance elsewhere for his senior season. 

Wildcards:

- Christian Moore (Jr.)
- Alex Cotton (Fr.-RS...I guess??)
- Tyran Mason (Fr. incoming)
- Layne Taylor (Fr. incoming)

two big guards, two little guards. gotta feel like if this is all the chance Moore is being given...desperation 4-5 minutes a night mid-injury-crisis, and with the reins white-knuckled in Hodges hands while he's on the floor, that he's probably going to be asked to go find another home and Taylor is a straight in replacement. 

Oops:

- Chris Morgan (Jr. 4th year)
- Terrance Dixon (Soph.??)

so the math puts this at 14 scholarships...so imma still go back to the idea that Dixon is a walk-on (he was never announced as a signing via Twitter/website like the other signees) or the staff 100% knows that Jones won't be granted a 5th year. if Dixon is on scholarship and the plan all along was to redshirt Cotton, we ostensibly negated a quarter of the roster considering clearly Hodge was never going to play Morgan. that's some suss management. 

either way, growth next year is firstly dependent on clearing out some players. Morgan has gotta go. this is already 3 years of dead money. I also think Moore is gone and Taylor is a straight swap. it feels less likely, but if it improves the roster, I won't lose sleep over Sissoko or Stone leaving either. 

to that core group, we desperately need a replacement for Allen...I think it almost has to be another P5 transfer big man, preferably one who will unquestionably move into the starting line-up day one. 

I'd also love a true point guard with some D1 experience...and since this is my wishlist, make him 6'3"-6'5"-ish. this should move Edwards entirely off-ball...Rubin and CJ can be primarily off-ball wings, while spelling '24-25 Ryan Woolridge on the ball for stretches...and Layne Taylor can develop slowly.

beyond that, it all depends on who is leaving.

Here to provide "insight" as requested by you and I will ignore what I disagree with and move on with my life.

You can place a strikethrough a name or two on your "core".  I know Robert Allen.  I know Aaron Scott.  I know John Buggs.  I know Matthew Stone.  I know Jason Edwards.  Insight - I live in the same apartment complex.  I see these guys daily.  I have had real live student to student conversations with them.  Now I won't say that we are sitting down reviewing game film or I accompany them to practices, but I have sat down at Zaxbys and shared a meal.

Armed with that "insight", you must know that I've asked how they are enjoying their UNT experience.  I have no more knowledge as anyone as to Hoo is likely to return.  However, I do know Hoo is 100% not returning.

Insight - Message Boards are the poor man's social media.  If I found my way onto this message board, what makes you think Christian Moore (just chose a random name) hasn't found it as well.  It's not up to me to decide if enough disparaging remarks have been made about a player to equate to the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.  Personally, I wouldn't want to work for any company that openly didn't appreciate my efforts. 

This season is coming to a close and all will be back to the way many want it in a few months.    

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Insight - CRH knew Edwards was a dominant player the first time they suited up.  Find an insider and inquire about the closed door scrimmage.  All teams have them - very few know the opponent and results.

"We were figuring out how to work in Edwards early" is a stretch in my opinion.  CRH stated that his first order of business upon being named HC was to re-recruit his own players.  Well, you try to keep as many campaign promises as possible.  My guess would be that "figuring out how to work in Edwards early" was just that - fulfilling a campaign promise made to someone other than Edwards.  You have fair & you have wrong.  I could care less about fair - life ain't fair.  But the "figuring out... blah blah blah" was wrong.  CRH knew.  The staff team knew.  The team knew.  I can't sign off on wrong.

The current core of this roster has the potential to be legit.  Sans all the "if we were healthy" excuses, at what point during this season has this core proven itself to be legit.  A lot of close defeats.  A lot of defeats.  Defeats.  Players or coaching - what is the root cause?

100% healthy prior to the start of conference play.  Record: 7-5

60% healthy since start of conference play.  Record 7-6   

Insight - This looks like a case of shuffling deck chairs.  But in reality it is not.  CRH just needs to make the difficult easy decision.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

The current core of this roster has the potential to be legit.  Sans all the "if we were healthy" excuses, at what point during this season has this core proven itself to be legit.  A lot of close defeats.  A lot of defeats.  Defeats.  Players or coaching - what is the root cause?

100% healthy prior to the start of conference play.  Record: 7-5

60% healthy since start of conference play.  Record 7-6   

Insight - This looks like a case of shuffling deck chairs.  But in reality it is not.  CRH just needs to make the difficult easy decision.   

Rank the Top 7 players on the team.  Now see how often they played together in a single game.  Was there even 1 game?  Certainly wasn't the 12 or 13 games you mentioned for the records. The point being perhaps our best basketball is yet to come with a healthy roster for the Tournament?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Outside of maybe a pissed off ECU and FAU, our schedule is easy. If we could pull off the win against FAU at home, we could go into the tournament on a 5 game winning streak.

Are you referring to our regular season season schedule because I see nothing easy about it.USF,Charlotte,FAU,SMU,UAB, and Memphis are as good as if not better than us.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

Are you referring to our regular season season schedule because I see nothing easy about it.USF,Charlotte,FAU,SMU,UAB, and Memphis are as good as if not better than us.

Sorry, I see how that read, I meant to say our remaining schedule.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Rank the Top 7 players on the team.  Now see how often they played together in a single game.  Was there even 1 game?  Certainly wasn't the 12 or 13 games you mentioned for the records. The point being perhaps our best basketball is yet to come with a healthy roster for the Tournament?

Rank or name?  Multiple ways to "rank" players.  The Top 7 players on this roster as of 2/20/24 would be Allen, Scott, Walker, Jones, Buggs, Edwards, and Noland if you asked me.  Please tell me that Dello isn't the missing piece to an undefeated season.  Impossible to argue what he does defensively, but his 4.2 per game vs Stone's 2.0 per game still has you down 1 at the buzzer. I alluded to shuffling deck chairs earlier. Dello played vs UTA & LSU-S.  Those were wins with players 8-12. 

These next few weeks will decide everything regarding our best basketball being played, this "core" returning and running it back (ala FAU), or the roster seeing the norm with additions & departures via the portal. My money is on the latter.  More than enough evidence to support that thought.        

• Eye Roll 1