UTSA (2/24/24)

Big Z

22 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not saying he's not our best player, but he hasn't shown the ability to hit the big shot when we need it at the end.  Some guys hit that shot being double or triple teamed.  He hasn't yet, so if he's being the whole teamed teamed like he has been - then pass out of it and let option two hit that shot

I can’t find an option 2 on this team.  I have more faith in Edwards with 5 guys on him.  That speaks more about the offensive ineptitude about the team than actual confidence that he will hit the big shot.  

We actually ran the offense like Allen was the primary weapon at times today.  Again.  The offensive philosophy is incoherent.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

This was the worst loss of the season. There is no excuse. We cannot blame the refs. They came into our house and kicked our butts. This was just bad on so many levels. It was a good crowd and we crapped the bed.

I wish I could upvote this 100000%

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Days like today I wish I was more like my wife and daughter where my whole day isn’t ruined based on the result of a sporting event.

This is my thing too. When we lost other games, it made sense. Injuries, etc. Today, as stated already, 0 excuses to lose to a team AT HOME who has a NET in the 260s. 

Really lost on this team now. Not sure what's going to happen. I felt good about making a run in the NIT, but today even changed that....

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Venson said:

This was the worst loss of the season. There is no excuse. We cannot blame the refs. They came into our house and kicked our butts. This was just bad on so many levels. It was a good crowd and we crapped the bed.

It would be hard to find a worse loss since the Benford days.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Days like today I wish I was more like my wife and daughter where my whole day isn’t ruined based on the result of a sporting event.

I hear you man.

Since I moved to Mineral Wells and my commute to Denton has increased to 85 miles, these three losses in four home games have been deflating...

• Upvote 3

This loss doesn’t bother me as much. We’re not winning the regular season conference.  These are just tune up games for the AAC Tournament. 

Before today, this team had played one half together in conference play. It felt out of sync, but I don’t think it will last.  Hopefully Rubin and Noland continue getting into game shape and play more minutes. I’m begging Scott  to stop committing silly fouls.  He needs to take that next step to playing hard, but keeping it clean.  I still believe!

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Travis said:

When the game is on the line… Edwards doesn’t hit. 

I'm with you and have been saying this all season. Not even exaggerating, he is 0fer on probably a dozen opportunities to hit a dagger, tie the game, or win the game. You could even add to that count a couple of times he split would-be game-sealing free throws.

But I think both sides of this argument can be correct. It is far from fair to lean on Jason to be the entire offense. Especially with this being his first year at the D-I level. Aaron has got to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble. I recall him getting his 2nd foul midway through the 1st but I couldn't believe when I looked up to see he had 4 fouls. It seemed like he was only on the court for five minutes all game.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm with you and have been saying this all season. Not even exaggerating, he is 0fer on probably a dozen opportunities to hit a dagger, tie the game, or win the game. You could even add to that count a couple of times he split would-be game-sealing free throws.

But I think both sides of this argument can be correct. It is far from fair to lean on Jason to be the entire offense. Especially with this being his first year at the D-I level. Aaron has got to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble. I recall him getting his 2nd foul midway through the 1st but I couldn't believe when I looked up to see he had 4 fouls. It seemed like he was only on the court for five minutes all game.

Dozen opportunities (not even exaggerating) = 12

+ couple of times he split would be game-sealing free throws = 2

Edwards has had an opportunity to “win” 14 games for us that we lost. 😞 

Current record: 14-12 

Your Honor, I rest my case!

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Dozen opportunities (not even exaggerating) = 12

+ couple of times he split would be game-sealing free throws = 2

Edwards has had an opportunity to “win” 14 games for us that we lost. 😞 

Current record: 14-12 

Your Honor, I rest my case!

I did not say those 14 instances all resulted in losses.

There were times a make would have essentially ended the game but instead we had to win the game at the free throw line or on defense or on an opponents' final shot (like vs. SMU).

Just go pull his season stats in the last minute of those close games.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, BigWillie said:

This is my thing too. When we lost other games, it made sense. Injuries, etc. Today, as stated already, 0 excuses to lose to a team AT HOME who has a NET in the 260s. 

Really lost on this team now. Not sure what's going to happen. I felt good about making a run in the NIT, but today even changed that....

Losing to UTSA at home in front of 5k is a fireable offense, IMO 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I know some  of you don’t want to hear this but we are not very good  right now.

Is it time to open the discussion about Ross Hodge? I mean there’s been tons of talk on here about how he was the reason for Mac’s success and we’re getting a 1 for 1 replacement if not better. I’m not so sure about that at this point. We play awful situational basketball in crunch time.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Is it time to open the discussion about Ross Hodge? I mean there’s been tons of talk on here about how he was the reason for Mac’s success and we’re getting a 1 for 1 replacement if not better. I’m not so sure about that at this point. We play awful situational basketball in crunch time.

Losing close games will traditionally be attributed to players. The close loses have to start becoming bigger then just large before you look at the coach. CRH is not up for discussion at this time. We would need to not only lose out (currently on the table), but lose by say double digits at home to ECU and FAU followed by a wood shed type beating at Rice. 

There is no change to the Fan Pendulum at this time.

Edited by HoosMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

It’s year one, and he hasn’t Benford the situation yet…so No.

But watching Grant at Tech sure makes me wish he was still here.  That guy is the whole package.  Ross still has some growing to do to get to that level.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

Nah. Talking about things he could do better sure. But if it is a question of if his seat is getting warm… no way. He will keep us successful. We had some big holes to fill from last year. And we still need to fill some of those. I am confident he will get us there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Not at all, we have been in pretty much every game we lost. It has been said on here mutiple times, we are missing a closer. It does really come down to execution for these close games. The coach has put the players in the position to win games IMO. 

And really, when you are that close, in your first year as head coach, I feel pretty good about that situation. We have just gotten used to winning and that is a good thing, but if we look back at Grant's first year he was almost .500 at 20-18. We won the CBI, and look how that turned out.

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Losing to UTSA at home in front of 5k is a fireable offense, IMO 

See above.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

If we’ve learned to never leave a timeout sitting once we pushed and didn’t get the look we wanted, great - that’s growth. If it keeps happening along with a general lack of plays/looks for certain player combos, then yeah, let’s have a measured conversation and probably not invite a few folks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quoner said:

If we’ve learned to never leave a timeout sitting once we pushed and didn’t get the look we wanted, great - that’s growth. If it keeps happening along with a general lack of plays/looks for certain player combos, then yeah, let’s have a measured conversation and probably not invite a few folks. 

Exactly. To be clear for everyone in the thread - I’m not advocating firing the guy or that his seat is hot. Just find it interesting that certain players on here consistently receive criticism (some warranted) but we’re hesitant to scrutinize the person in charge of it all & proclaim that we’re all good at that spot. I’m just not convinced is all. It’s still very early in his tenure, but I had a way different feeling about Mac in Year 1 vs Hodge Year 1.  Grant inherited a disaster of a program and quickly righted the ship. Ross took over a 30+ Win NIT Championship team. It’s not even close to the same situation. This with the caveat that I do acknowledge injury struggles this year. 

There are certain issues: late game offensive sets for last shots, late game management, press break, giving up offensive rebounds in critical situations ect. that have been recurring issues throughout the season regardless of player availability. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1