UAB (1/31/24)

CMJ

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Edwards makes things more difficult than they have to be at times

I’m not saying I disagree but guys have to get experience to learn.  Tylor and Hamlet both just almost felt immediately  automatic. Sometimes it takes some L’s to get it straight.  He’s a brave player and we need that kind of leadership.  I will say though. Aaron Scott seems to be to be just the most experienced and solid shot maker other than Rubin that we have and I’d love to see him get more opportunities it’s just that Edwards is a ball handler and so quick so it’s just gonna make more sense for it to be him to be the leader that we have gotten used to in the type of guys we’ve had. And I know that he can handle it.  This is just a tough league and we can do better but we have solid guys and need to get healthier and we need to mature a little. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I wan a closeup of the baseline out of bounds with 6.7 seconds...I really thought the UAB kid's toe was on the line and it should have been our ball.

The game is on the ESPN app as a replay already. After watching replay, it does not look like his toe was on the line. Not sure about the foul though.

We have got to figure out the press. Up 4 with 30 seconds to go. Never should have went to OT.

As much as I love Jason, add two more misses to his long list of failed dagger attempts this season. He is desperately trying to hit those daggers and I don't think a single one has dropped all year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt from A700 said:

We have got to figure out the press. Up 4 with 30 seconds to go. Never should have went to OT.

As much as I love Jason, add two more misses to his long list of failed dagger attempts this season. He is desperately trying to hit those daggers and I don't think a single one has dropped all year.

They’ll fall. Kid put up 31 and we are complaining. 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It was obviously too much for them to even show up tonight. 

I guess I gave a little credit that it was a midweek game but I also don’t disagree with you.  Just sayin I’m trying to baby the tentative along if they’re not buying still. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Also - though the officiating getting whistle happy was maddening, hat tip to UAB for knocking down their FT’s. Dragged themselves back in the game taking advantage of it. We missed key FT opportunities and they didn’t.

This has been a theme all season and I don't get it. We get a loose first half - tonight only 11 total fouls between both teams I believe. Second half is a free throw contest. Both teams were in the double bonus by the midway point.

• Upvote 2

Some observations tonight that cause me to shake my head:

1.  The crowd was really small tonight.  I guess because it was a Wednesday night and at 8 pm?  I mean there really were not a whole lot of students either.

2.  Who enjoys refs taking over the games?  8 total fouls called in the first half.  Had to have been over 30 in the second half.  Both teams were in the bonus with 8:32 left in the second half.  That was a brutal whistle fest watching there.

3.  We blew a 17 point lead AT HOME.  So frustrating.  We should have won the last two games.  We lead FAU for 36 minutes of the game and UAB for 37 minutes of the game.

4.  I love watch Edward's shoot the ball, but sometimes he just looses the ball not even being defended.  He did this multiple times tonight.  So agonizing to watch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

This team doesn't know much about how to break a press.  Shocking to me.

We really need our 90% free throw shooter to not miss clutch free throws.  If he hits the last one in regulation he missed we don't go to OT.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I mean after the SMU game the attendance was very poor, so what's there really left to kill? It's also confusing how every game wasn't promoted like the SMU game was.

I really do think it’s just that it’s a week night.  Not a firm answer and I’m riddled with sick children and everyone I know has been sick so that may be why I’m excusing it. But I agree, I was disappointed in the crowd.  Which was kinda why I was disappointed in the Crean takes on the board bc he was still absolutely bringing the energy but I understand the take. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I’m not saying I disagree but guys have to get experience to learn.  Tylor and Hamlet both just almost felt immediately  automatic. Sometimes it takes some L’s to get it straight.  He’s a brave player and we need that kind of leadership.  I will say though. Aaron Scott seems to be to be just the most experienced and solid shot maker other than Rubin that we have and I’d love to see him get more opportunities it’s just that Edwards is a ball handler and so quick so it’s just gonna make more sense for it to be him to be the leader that we have gotten used to in the type of guys we’ve had. And I know that he can handle it.  This is just a tough league and we can do better but we have solid guys and need to get healthier and we need to mature a little. 

Oh I definitely agree with that. Take the lumps now and grow for the tournament. I’d much rather have Edwards on my team than go against him. If Rubin continues to miss games, I could see him get a 40+ burger at some point if his shot is hitting. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

It’s not the kids fault they’re handed a roll of bounty instead of being given proper floor mops

A roll of Bounty would be better than what they are using. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ibleedgreen said:

Is there no basketball band this year?

Basketball band was there tonight.

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Ain't no way that's the final shot attempt you draw up...

I said the same thing.  6.4 seconds left and that is best thing you can draw up after a timeout?

2 hours ago, Marty said:

such a winnable game. We let this one get away from us. 

The last two games have been this way.  Should have won them both.

• Upvote 3

The way this conversation is going makes me really happy bc our expectation every year is making and progressing through the tournament.  That’s still really hard to to and this UAB team has been climbing this climb with us neck and neck the whole way.  It’s ok to lose a game to a good team.  It’s better to win them and we shouldn’t lost to many.  I just don’t want our fanbase to lose hope bc we are a damn good team.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

The way this conversation is going makes me really happy bc our expectation every year is making and progressing through the tournament.  That’s still really hard to to and this UAB team has been climbing this climb with us neck and neck the whole way.  It’s ok to lose a game to a good team.  It’s better to win them and we shouldn’t lost to many.  I just don’t want our fanbase to lose hope bc we are a damn good team.  

We have potential to be really good, but we have some things we have to figure out.  Holding onto leads is one of them and breaking a press consistently is another one.  

• Upvote 1