ESPN Bracketology

Its early, and I am not sure how closely they are looking at the AAC.  Its likely Lunardi took a quick look at the AAC and saw 2 ranked teams (FAU & Memphis), and the first place team (UNT), and based his bracket on that.  ...And a 13 seed??  Assuming UNT wins the tournament, they would likely have to go through 2-3 Q1 teams to win it, including Memphis and FAU whom he has seeded at 5 and 6, that should earn more then a 13 seed.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 7:40 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

Three Bid League?

I don't put a ton of value on these kinda things...especially not in January...but an interesting note on this morning's Bracketology update, following Memphis' loss:

5 Seed - Memphis
6 Seed - FAU
13 Seed - North Texas (automatic qualifier)

to me this says we're getting a bit of national recognition for our play in conference so far...maaaaaaybe a little recognition for what we've done in tourney play the last few years...but all coupled with the reality that w/o one or two of those close non-con losses that we probably won't have the resume to make the tournament unless we win the AAC tourney

Interesting...

I tend to think that an AQ emerging from the AAC would have necessarily earned a couple impressive wins in the conference tournament and would end up as at least a 12-seed.  Of course upsets could derail that.  And, I'm assuming that a contender wins it all--not some surprise from the bottom half of the conference. 

22 hours ago, MDH said:

13 seed and AQ? That means we fall apart in conference only to put it back together for conference tourney. Don't really see that happening.

Lunardi always makes his brackets according if the season ended today and brackets were being filled for a tournament starting in a few days.  He's not projecting out the rest of the season, or the league tournament, it's just since we're leading the AAC as of now, we get the autobid.

• Upvote 4

On 1/19/2024 at 10:40 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

I love that some must hate me so much on this board that they down-vote every single post of mine. 

well guess what, buddy...I down-vote you. and your mom.

If the info is good, it deserves an upvote. If it's bad, it deserves a downvote. I appreciate this thread and the perspective you bring.

Regarding the original topic, I agree with you that we clearly don't have the resume to be an at-large as of yet. I believe we need the AQ but if we run the table and make it the conference tournament final, I wonder if that would be enough. Unlikely but crazier things have happened. We'd have at least 5 Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins (total) and maybe more depending on the performance of other conference members.

AQs aren't tied to any seed. They still rank every team independently and a 13 puts us towards the top of the midmajor AQs. If UTSA made a run in the conference tournament as the lowest seed and got the AQ, they'd probably be a 15 seed. Like you said, 13 shows recognition. Now to take care of business today against Charlotte. One game at a time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/20/2024 at 9:19 AM, CMJ said:

Lunardi always makes his brackets according if the season ended today and brackets were being filled for a tournament starting in a few days.  He's not projecting out the rest of the season, or the league tournament, it's just since we're leading the AAC as of now, we get the autobid.

Got it. I just think that the AAC winner is going to get higher than a 13 - that's C-USA, borderline WAC territory for an AQ.

• Upvote 1