Tulane (1/6/2024)

17 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I mean, it’s not like any posts on this forum are saving the rain forest or stopping human trafficking. 

But I watched a lot of college basketball this weekend and other schools have full stands and aren’t making the excuse that school isn’t in session. 

Most of these kids live in DFW anyway. And plenty of them are still in Denton.

I drove over an hour to be there. I give my money and time to support this program and I believe the student support should be a lot better than it was yesterday. 

Your missing my point.  

Do you think complaining about attendance on a messageboard is going to have any positive effect?

Are people going to read the message and immediately plan on going to the next home game?

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Your missing my point.  

Do you think complaining about attendance on a messageboard is going to have any positive effect?

Are people going to read the message and immediately plan on going to the next home game?

No, but this is a college basketball forum post about the Tulane game.
I was commenting on the lack of student attendance at the game as it is relevant to the atmosphere at said game and the atmosphere at all games. 

SOMEONE at the university is responsible for increasing student attendance. They are getting PAID to do that. And whatever they are currently doing isn’t working.

So maybe the athletic department should try some new ideas? Think outside the box?

We are UNDEFEATED at home and have an amazing product right now and have for several years. Now is the time when things can change and there should be more buzz and momentum building. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

No, but this is a college basketball forum post about the Tulane game.
I was commenting on the lack of student attendance at the game as it is relevant to the atmosphere at said game and the atmosphere at all games. 

SOMEONE at the university is responsible for increasing student attendance. They are getting PAID to do that. And whatever they are currently doing isn’t working.

So maybe the athletic department should try some new ideas? Think outside the box?

We are UNDEFEATED at home and have an amazing product right now and have for several years. Now is the time when things can change and there should be more buzz and momentum building. 

How many local Denton area kids are on the team? How many UNT grads are coaches in our district? Middle or high-school? 

That is where you start….

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

How many local Denton area kids are on the team? How many UNT grads are coaches in our district? Middle or high-school? 

That is where you start….

That is a great idea.
I would also hit the Greek community hard. That is the student demographic that supports other college basketball programs very well. And they are non-existent at our games. 
I’ve got a thousand ideas on how to engage the Greek community at UNT. Those kids are on campus, they are doing fun stuff anyways and they should be competing with each other to be the best UNT basketball fans. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

That is a great idea.
I would also hit the Greek community hard. That is the student demographic that supports other college basketball programs very well. And they are non-existent at our games. 
I’ve got a thousand ideas on how to engage the Greek community at UNT. Those kids are on campus, they are doing fun stuff anyways and they should be competing with each other to be the best UNT basketball fans. 

If this continues to be an issue when the students return to campus, then I am with you.  The students are not back in town right now, so the focus over the holidays should be the residents of Denton and the surrounding communities like Ponder, Krum, Argyle, Sanger, etc.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If this continues to be an issue when the students return to campus, then I am with you.  The students are not back in town right now, so the focus over the holidays should be the residents of Denton and the surrounding communities like Ponder, Krum, Argyle, Sanger, etc.

Speaking of the people who live here, is it whoring ourselves out too much to send mailers out to every home in Denton, Wise, Cooke, and Collin Counties with a voucher for four free tickets to a game? We do need to get the people who live here 365 days a year interested and engaged as well, even if they didn't go to UNT.

The classmates of my high school, about 10-15 miles from Waco, seemed to enjoy rooting for Baylor and going to Baylor games, even though only one of them had the brains (and money) to go there.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Speaking of the people who live here, is it whoring ourselves out too much to send mailers out to every home in Denton, Wise, Cooke, and Collin Counties with a voucher for four free tickets to a game? We do need to get the people who live here 365 days a year interested and engaged as well, even if they didn't go to UNT.

The classmates of my high school, about 10-15 miles from Waco, seemed to enjoy rooting for Baylor and going to Baylor games, even though only one of them had the brains (and money) to go there.

I think this isn't a bad idea.  Folks in Gainesville are just up I-35 and could easily attend our games.

• Upvote 2

On 1/7/2024 at 9:28 AM, GMoney said:

Sunday morning follow-up:  There is no mention of our game yesterday on the front page of the sports section.  Not even a sentence or a score listing.  If you weren't looking for us or didn't know we played.  Just like they like it, out of sight out of mind.  But hey, Pop Issacs scored 21 to help TT beat UT (Lubbock and Austin).

....just reviewed entire epaper from DMN.  There is NO summary or mention of our game yesterday. However, TCU, Tx A&M, UH, Baylor, Kansas St and OU have their summaries.

This is upsetting. I'm not in the DFW area, but the DMN has to know that there's so much more of a market for UNT scores and summaries than there are for OU or especially Kansas State. Give me a break. No wonder folks don't follow local news by newspaper anymore. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

This is upsetting. I'm not in the DFW area, but the DMN has to know that there's so much more of a market for UNT scores and summaries than there are for OU or especially Kansas State. Give me a break. No wonder folks don't follow local news by newspaper anymore. 

Agree this is upsetting and I think it has more to do with the people that run the papers and the people in power.

• Pissed 1

9 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

That is a great idea.

To that, I think people and the university like to throw around TOTAL student numbers when they should be focused on engaging the ON CAMPUS students first and foremost. Absolutely agree that the university should and could be doing more to get student orgs involved. 

BUT this game isn’t one that I want to scream about student attendance. Lets see where we’re at once the Spring semester gets going. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Really disappointed in Coach Hunter. The “impressed with how well bottom teams are playing at home right now” comment was sour grapes.

What an a-hole.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Really disappointed in Coach Hunter. The “impressed with how well bottom teams are playing at home right now” comment was sour grapes.

I'm not convinced he was referring to UNT at that point.  He had already heaped praise on UNT, pointing out the NIT 'ship and how well we have played at home.

At that point, the question and convo had shifted to general American talk, and he was name dropping other teams in the league.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...