Wichita State (1/4/24)

Matt from A700

27 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

This was a big road win with our two beat players out of the game.

Who are our best two players that were out? If you are saying Jones and Buggs, Jones I agree with, but not Buggs. I am not saying Buggs is trash, I just don't see him as being in the top two.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Just realized Cortes for Wichita State is Stone's HS teammate Bijan Cortes. Transfered to Wichita State from OU.

They have a lot of talent. Wondering where UTSA transfer Jacob Germany is...

Cortes looked like an idiot. 

46 minutes ago, Marty said:

Light the tower!

Vince Vaughn Party GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Great win on the road in a tough venue to start conference play. 

Excellent win.  I was waiting for the road collapse, but maybe we learned from previous games to just keep the pace.

Beat them by more than Perry and K-State did in Wichita!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

In the building! Already jealous of the crowd and energy.

Wasnt that amazing? Great game experience for fans.  The arena feels smaller but the fans brought the energy, making more noise when they got a 3 to bring it to 11 (losing) than we do when we make a three to bring it to 11 (winning).

Good fans too. Said we were worthy of the NIT champ and the league, knew about our shared MVC past, etc.

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Wasnt that amazing? Great game experience for fans.  The arena feels smaller but the fans brought the energy, making more noise when they got a 3 to bring it to 11 (losing) than we do when we make a three to bring it to 11 (winning).

Good fans too. Said we were worthy of the NIT champ and the league, knew about our shared MVC past, etc.

GMG

Every time they should have gotten quiet, they stayed in the game. Wish we could copy + paste into Denton.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

😅

wichshock65

WuShock Head Coach

6 hours ago

My last Root Canal was more enjoyable to sit through than that game was. Thank god for the Grannies so we could see some enjoyable basketball. 

I wish I was exaggerating but I’m really not. Yuck.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Noland needs to look for his shot more often. He is built to drive and draw contact. 
I missed where Rubin went out. Did something happen or did he just pull up with a bad hammy. 

You are right on about Noland driving to the basket!!! Would like to see them spred the floor then let him drive to the hoop with his size.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

I love the historically good basketball programs having to come to grips with the fact that UNT is a basketball school now. The Wichita fans are big mad after that one.

Funny thing is we’ve read versions of that same game thread from similar fanbases many times over the past 6-7 years. It’s almost like our style of play and hard nosed defensive execution has something to do with it? 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I love the historically good basketball programs having to come to grips with the fact that UNT is a basketball school now. The Wichita fans are big mad after that one.

Funny thing is we’ve read versions of that same game thread from similar fanbases many times over the past 6-7 years. It’s almost like our style of play and hard nosed defensive execution has something to do with it? 

one of those schools being...Wichita State...where we held them scoreless for like 12 minutes to start the second half and erase a 13 point half-time deficit 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You are right on about Noland driving to the basket!!! Would like to see them spred the floor then let him drive to the hoop with his size.

My favorite play in the game was when CJ drove, missed the floater and then grabbed his own board and put it back in off the glass.  The dude is starting to show he can lead this squad.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2024 at 4:51 PM, NT80 said:

NT game thread on the Shocker fan forums...

"Under new NCAA rules, Tylor Perry transfers back to UNT for one game and torches us for 27 points, before returning to KState second semester."

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita-state-athletics/wichita-state-men-s-basketball/1418693-north-texas-7-5-at-wichita-state-8-5-pregame-discussion#post1418885

I went to their fan forum and the way they were talking trash about our university is crazy and I am not talking just athletics. Based on what a lot of them were saying, they think we are a trash university and not just athletics. We have almost three times their student population, five years older than them, have five more colleges than them, offer more than twice the number of undergrad degrees, offer more than 40 more masters than them , three times more doctoral degrees, and our budget is more than $350,000,000 more than theirs, but they think they are better. 

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Yes, many of the better programs we beat complain about their own poor shooting, turnovers, coaching, etc...rarely acknowledge it is the opponent causing all of it, lol!

Wichita fans before the game thread were whining about the loss of Houston and Cincy and that the AAC was no longer a quality basketball league with the new invites.  Few knew we won the NIT last year.  Many of them want to join Creighton in the Big East instead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1