A question for the "We should only recruit through the portal" crowd

emmitt01

I've noticed quite a few comments saying something along the lines of "we shouldn't even bother recruiting high school athletes, let's just hit the portal hard."   Here is my question to you:  How much are you willing to contribute to our NIL collectives???

I assume everyone understands that getting the impact transfers, in this new world of moving to the highest bidder, requires our university to be able to bid with the rest of college football.   I mean, surely nobody would come on this board to complain about how we are losing players to schools that have strong NIL collectives while simultaneously refusing to contribute to the solution....because that would just make you look kinda ridiculous.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I've noticed quite a few comments saying something along the lines of "we shouldn't even bother recruiting high school athletes, let's just hit the portal hard."   Here is my question to you:  How much are you willing to contribute to our NIL collectives???

I assume everyone understands that getting the impact transfers, in this new world of moving to the highest bidder, requires our university to be able to bid with the rest of college football.   I mean, surely nobody would come on this board to complain about how we are losing players to schools that have strong NIL collectives while simultaneously refusing to contribute to the solution....because that would just make you look kinda ridiculous.  

Using similar logic, what makes you think we can recruit impact players via HS without outbidding another school's NIL collective?

If you believe we are able to recruit a higher level athlete via HS than the portal for the same amount of NIL money then HS recruiting seems to make some sense, but you are always at an elevated risk of losing the player once they show any sign of ability.

If you go with the assumption we can only afford the same level of talent via the portal than we can via HS recruiting, at least the portal players are less likely to transfer again until graduation due to having to sit a year.

Unfortunately, the reality is the only way to maintain or move up in the pecking order is with money.  Even when you hit on a previously unproven player they will immediately be gone if you can't pay to keep/replace them and will be stuck on the eternal treadmill.

Not sure what the answer is but we need to get creative with NIL.  Going to have to go outside the box because it is pretty clear so far we aren't going to raise the necessary funds organically.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Good question/statement.
I cannot imagine a world of college athletics without a very close and vital connection to high schools. At the same time it appears that big money is permanently vital to big successful college athletic programs. While we are not known for our collective generosity, the solution may well lie in changing that tradition but, can we do it?
I wish I knew the answer.

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Eventually NIL will have limits placed on it thru the courts...imo

My original hope of NIL was it would allow kids to star in commercials, sign sponsorships, etc. But the NCAA was completely unprepared for the moment. The idea of collectives just made it to where a group of donors could get together and pay for kids to come to their school. Not really the spirit of “name, image, likeness” but it is what it is. One day it’ll get more regulated but until then I think schools like us will suffer. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I seriously doubt all players in the portal are just looking for $$.  I bet the vast majority just want more playing time or a higher level program, say FCS to FBS, or just closer to home.   It's not always about the bucks. 

I wish you were right, but for the better players the portal is a way to get paid for playing, and I cant blame them.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Absolutely nothing

Even if I had money to burn, I am not hypocritical enough to contribute to something I think is ruining sports

I understand your point, but this stance is exactly what will be the death of programs like North Texas.  The programs, boosters, fans that truly embrace the idea of NIL will leap frog programs that don't.  For a case in point, look at how SMEWW has gone all in on NIL and leap frogged the competition and even bought their way in to the ACC.  We can complain about the way things are all we want, but it won't change anything. 

If we don't support the new world order then blood will be on our hands when UNT gets left behind, but I am sure we will conveniently forget about that part when the time comes.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I understand your point, but this stance is exactly what will be the death of programs like North Texas.  The programs, boosters, fans that truly embrace the idea of NIL will leap frog programs that don't.  For a case in point, look at how SMEWW has gone all in on NIL and leap frogged the competition and even bought their way in to the ACC.  We can complain about the way things are all we want, but it won't change anything. 

If we don't support the new world order then blood will be on our hands when UNT gets left behind, but I am sure we will conveniently forget about that part when the time comes.

Disappointed GIF by Lil Helper

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Absolutely nothing

Even if I had money to burn, I am not hypocritical enough to contribute to something I think is ruining sports

I don’t have money to burn, but I set up monthly giving to the MGC. This is college athletics now.  This is what we need to try and be competitive. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Absolutely nothing

Bring back the leather helmets! Keep paying the coaches $7m a year and the players nothing. Most schools are fighting the same battle. You either evolve or get left behind!

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

a couple things. 

1) I think going straight portal recruiting would be career suicide for Morris in Texas. Spavital learnt that the hard way at TX ST. I think recruiting should be 50/50 half hs kids and half a combo of portal and juco. 

2) You don't have to have a million dollar NIL to compete. Alot of schools are grabbing talent without having to pay an arm and leg. It all comes down to evaluations. Outside of SMU, USF and Memphis there wasn't a ton of nil money being thrown around in the american confernce. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

a couple things. 

1) I think going straight portal recruiting would be career suicide for Morris in Texas. Spavital learnt that the hard way at TX ST. I think recruiting should be 50/50 half hs kids and half a combo of portal and juco. 

2) You don't have to have a million dollar NIL to compete. Alot of schools are grabbing talent without having to pay an arm and leg. It all comes down to evaluations. Outside of SMU, USF and Memphis there wasn't a ton of nil money being thrown around in the american confernce. 

That brings up some interesting info.  There is no transparency now about how much players are getting or not getting paid.  It sounds like going forward the NCAA wants the schools to become the payors on these future NIL, Pay, Bribe, whatever-you-call-it funds.  Won't that become public info to fans and other potential future recruits/players?

You recruit everything. Limiting yourself to ONE as a reactionary measure will doom the program.

As we've seen, transfers can still graduate and move on. And you'll severely limit your talent pool if you only look for guys with specific eligibility remaining. Should we NOT have had Chandler Rogers this year just because he's transferring out now? Get the best athletes. You just have to be doing it every year, and it's gotten harder.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

It may be the death of some if not most  G5 programs but there is something that can be done about it . Let the 4 power conferences break away.They get the vast majority of the best players anyway.Then the G5 programs set a minimum  NIL amount that its "members" must meet in order to stay at the G5 level. The schools that either can't or won't meet the minimum will be reclassified as 1AA programs. This will cause some conference realignment and probably the creation of a few new 1AA conferences but if conferences like the AAC are not proactive schools like North Texas are hosed.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Thank goodness for Harry and the MGC, but the supposed BMD/business focused Light the Tower initiative seems like cluster so far.  Light the Tower will need to be coordinated in order to be successful, especially for football since it will require the most funds.

This is all moving too quickly to be sustainable for most G5 programs and fans to keep up with.   For the fans, first it was just buy season tickets (simple).  Then it became add a MGSF donation, then a per seat donation, then an Athletic Center renovation donation, then a NIL donation.  Next will be a Mean Green Athletic Trust Fund donation.   It's all fine as long as the goal is known and explained. 

It's donation overload now until the ultimate end-game is finalized and endorsed by all FBS programs.  If there is intention to split FBS, then where is the line and where will specific schools fall?   What is the process for promotions or demotions?   I don't think the NCAA or media or most ADs know what most of that is yet.  Fans are asked to donate to a black hole currently.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Bring back the leather helmets! Keep paying the coaches $7m a year and the players nothing. Most schools are fighting the same battle. You either evolve or get left behind!

Actually, the intent was to give the players a college education and a chance at a better future.  Although, I am sure the requirement to go to class will also be attacked.  

My guess you are going to be very wrong, the number of college football programs at the highest level will shrink and there will be substantially fewer scholarship players. So there will be a lot less players, but the programs left will pay well.  

At least, you didn't cite that players should be getting their share of the money made.  This is a common response even though 80% of the programs don't come close to making a  profit. 

The main issue I have is that most G5 programs and many P5 schools are substantially supported by student fees.  Do you really think the average student needs to be contributing to the education of players that are making more money than most of the fans? 

This won't continue at some point, the student will wise up and the major funding supporting athletics will be gone, and the number of schools left will be about the size of the NFL.  Those conferences left will be in primarily in competition with the pros for fans.  

I don't get your leather helmet reference.  It has nothing to do with coaches' salaries or paying players.  Abuses of athletes and undercover payments were commonplace.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually, the intent was to give the players a college education and a chance at a better future.  Although, I am sure the requirement to go to class will also be attacked.  

My guess you are going to be very wrong, the number of college football programs at the highest level will shrink and there will be substantially fewer scholarship players. So there will be a lot less players, but the programs left will pay well.  

At least, you didn't cite that players should be getting their share of the money made.  This is a common response even though 80% of the programs don't come close to making a  profit. 

The main issue I have is that most G5 programs and many P5 schools are substantially supported by student fees.  Do you really think the average student needs to be contributing to the education of players that are making more money than most of the fans? 

This won't continue at some point, the student will wise up and the major funding supporting athletics will be gone, and the number of schools left will be about the size of the NFL.  Those conferences left will be in primarily in competition with the pros for fans.  

I don't get your leather helmet reference.  It has nothing to do with coaches' salaries or paying players.  Abuses of athletes and undercover payments were commonplace.

Can’t live in the past. Why support professional teams? They all make more money? As a UNT supporter to do nothing is not an option. Just win!

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

a couple things. 

To bring up Tx State is old news the TP is evolving very quickly and the proof is you saying 50/50.  It is about evaluating talent. If a HS player is not on the 2 deep, then pass. If they are on the 2 deep be ready to loose them to the portal eventually. If you bring in a transfer and he is a stud, plan on loosing him as a grad transfer. A lot of moving pieces!

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Notice you did not response to the highlighted portion. 

I also never said anything about supporting the NFL. 

If your philosophy on supporting teams is based on salary then you must not support any professional teams. That was my response to the highlight. You can find a 1,000 reasons not to support UNT, and now the reason is an item they have no control over.