Commitments 12/08/2023

GMG_Dallas

I know I'm not the usual to start these commitment threads but it needs to get going so we can have more positive conversations. Looks like 2 committed. And I'm going to add, I trashed the puzzle piece tweets a week or two ago but man were these nice to see.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

Looks like the first one is Gabe Stroud, defensive back from Whitehouse.

For the fans hoping for instant payoff out of the portal, I suggest you adjust the timing of those expectations. Expect a lot of the near activity to be High School guys.

I’m sure we’ll get a group of portal guys as well before the spring semester starts, but probably not as soon as these HS guys we are going after and looking to sign on 12/20.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, BillySee58 said:

For the fans hoping for instant payoff out of the portal, I suggest you adjust the timing of those expectations. Expect a lot of the near activity to be High School guys.

I’m sure we’ll get a group of portal guys as well before the spring semester starts, but probably not as soon as these HS guys we are going after and looking to sign on 12/20.

Was just about to post this commitment. 247 shows him as a New Mexico State commitment so looks like our staff flipped him.

I will add that our staff may be looking at recruiting and roster management differently moviny forward based on the tweet below.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Redshirts are foolish for colleges these days, especially us. We should not redshirt a single player. 
Why should we invest a year of tuition, housing, facilities, nutrition and coaching into a kid who is just going to use that extra year to put himself up for auction at a price we can’t afford?

Exactly and it looks like the staff sees things the same way.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Stole him from New Mexico State it appears.  

Gabe Stroud, Whitehouse, Cornerback (247sports.com)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No clue but Rauschenberg is out of eligibility and Sawyer Evans transferred. Can never have too many kickers/punters. They can be real game changers.

Are you sure Evans transferred? I think is was Jacklin.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Redshirts are foolish for colleges these days, especially us. We should not redshirt a single player. 
Why should we invest a year of tuition, housing, facilities, nutrition and coaching into a kid who is just going to use that extra year to put himself up for auction at a price we can’t afford?

On the last coaching show, Morris mentioned not burning the redshirts just to burn them. I think if we continue to show we do what’s best for kids, the HS coaches will continue to believe in the Mean Green coaching staff.  Yes, if they can play then play. If they’d benefit from 4 games then sit, then that’s what we’ll do.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

They have a huge challenge first getting past Duncanville

Yep. North Crowley is in the semi-finals this week, as is SOC.  Next week are the finals. 
Jacklin, the Aussie, is the one that transferred, or is in the portal. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

On the last coaching show, Morris mentioned not burning the redshirts just to burn them. I think if we continue to show we do what’s best for kids, the HS coaches will continue to believe in the Mean Green coaching staff.  Yes, if they can play then play. If they’d benefit from 4 games then sit, then that’s what we’ll do.  

Nope, the kids who need a year to develop can go to Juco, D2, D3, Louisiana-Monroe (lol). Then we can recruit them when they are ready to play for us.