Jump to content

A Year Ago


TheReal_jayD

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Exactly a year ago today. 
 

North Texas didn’t have a head coach

North Texas had no Recruiting Class

No Chandler Rogers or Ethan Miner on North Texas roster

Ayo had never rushed for 1000 yards in a season

Maclin had never had over 400 yards receiving in a season

Landon Sides was enrolled in HS

Moral of story is there is a lot of time between now and August 2024.
 

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS 

 

What do you think Mean Green fans would say in December of 2023 if you were to ask them about their predictions about where UNT football would be in December of 24?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Exactly a year ago today. 
 

North Texas didn’t have a head coach

North Texas had no Recruiting Class

No Chandler Rogers or Ethan Miner on North Texas roster

Ayo had never rushed for 1000 yards in a season

Maclin had never had over 400 yards receiving in a season

Landon Sides was enrolled in HS

Moral of story is there is a lot of time between now and August 2024.
 

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS 

 

Considering we were late to the portal game last year and I don't follow other programs much, when can we expect commitments to start rolling in? I realize nothing is done until they're actually on campus but I'd feel a bit better about our fate if I saw some commitments.

If our coaches are savvy, they could use this portal cycle to show potential recruits UNT is where you can come to raise your profile and then get paid elsewhere. There is still hope for year to year success.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If our coaches are savvy, they could use this portal cycle to show potential recruits UNT is where you can come to raise your profile and then get paid elsewhere. There is still hope for year to year success.

Very interesting outlook. Accepting what comes…lemons into lemonade. Hats off to you!

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need to leverage this new day: 

1. Play close to home - unleash your skills in front of friends and family

2. Play in the hottest sports business region in the country - eyeballs and proximity are here

3. Play in a fun system 

4. Utilize these final years to elevate all your skills - athletic, business acumen, network, connectivity 

5. Execute in great company. North Texas is AAC ACC Big 12 SEC country

GMG

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Exactly a year ago today. 
 

North Texas didn’t have a head coach

North Texas had no Recruiting Class

No Chandler Rogers or Ethan Miner on North Texas roster

Ayo had never rushed for 1000 yards in a season

Maclin had never had over 400 yards receiving in a season

Landon Sides was enrolled in HS

Moral of story is there is a lot of time between now and August 2024.
 

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS 

 

I really hate this take, honestly. 
 

What is wrong with us fans wanting to build?   Convincing someone to join a 3k-1k-1k is a heckuva lot easier than assembling another 3-1-1.  
 

Remind me again of when this program has seen sustained success?  As the roster continues to exit stage left, it gets increasingly more difficult to achieve that level that everyone wants.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

so 2024 is the same except Sides, hopefully will be a Sophmore and we have a HC

And about 15-20 kids more already committed and about a dozen of kids coming on campus this week. 

 

9 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

I really hate this take, honestly. 
 

What is wrong with us fans wanting to build?   Convincing someone to join a 3k-1k-1k is a heckuva lot easier than assembling another 3-1-1.  
 

Remind me again of when this program has seen sustained success?  As the roster continues to exit stage left, it gets increasingly more difficult to achieve that level that everyone wants.  

Literally everyone in the country is having to deal with the portal right now. There is already 3000 kids in the portal. And we havent played the first bowl game. There will be almost 6000 kids in when all is said and done. There are only a little over 11,000 availlible fbs schollys. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

And about 15-20 kids more already committed and about a dozen of kids coming on campus this week. 

 

Literally everyone in the country is having to deal with the portal right now. There is already 3000 kids in the portal. And we havent played the first bowl game. There will be almost 6000 kids in when all is said and done. There are only a little over 11,000 availlible fbs schollys. 

Bookmarked for a year from now. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

But we had just finished making a bowl game.....just sayin.

We lost in a Bowl that claimed 12,000 in attendance.  There might be more people on campus during the fall semester on an away game Saturday.   🙄.  If you were one of the few UNT Football fans who watched or went to the game I applaud your loyal support.  But I don’t know what you are saying.  They lost to a Boise State program in such good shape their head coach Andy Avalos  got fired just a month ago.   Bowl games are worthless now more than ever because any of your players that put on an impressive show might use that to jump into the portal.
 

sidebar: I would love to add Andy Avalos to the defensive coaching staff as a replacement in waiting for Caponi. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

We lost in a Bowl that claimed 12,000 in attendance.  There might be more people on campus during the fall semester on an away game Saturday.   🙄.  If you were one of the few UNT Football fans who watched or went to the game I applaud your loyal support.  But I don’t know what you are saying.  They lost to a Boise State program in such good shape their head coach Andy Avalos  got fired just a month ago.   Bowl games are worthless now more than ever because any of your players that put on an impressive show might use that to jump into the portal.
 

sidebar: I would love to add Andy Avalos to the defensive coaching staff as a replacement in waiting for Caponi. 

I am by no means a SL supporter. I think they did the right thing in getting rid of him, but if we are talking about being better than what he left, that's my point. Regardless of what type of bowl it was, it was better than sitting at home. Hell, we were even in the championship game. All those points that were made in the original post mean nothing if it didn't get the job done.

THAT'S what I was saying.

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

We lost in a Bowl that claimed 12,000 in attendance.  There might be more people on campus during the fall semester on an away game Saturday.   🙄.  If you were one of the few UNT Football fans who watched or went to the game I applaud your loyal support.  But I don’t know what you are saying.  They lost to a Boise State program in such good shape their head coach Andy Avalos  got fired just a month ago.   Bowl games are worthless now more than ever because any of your players that put on an impressive show might use that to jump into the portal.
 

sidebar: I would love to add Andy Avalos to the defensive coaching staff as a replacement in waiting for Caponi. 

Seth Littrell coached them to that bowl game but not in that bowl game. Bennett coached that bowl game. Bowl attendees did have the chance to see the new coach (Morris) during the pregame stuff though. I don’t know how you specifically pin that particular low attendance on Littrell, if he was the big issue wouldn’t more folks have come out to show their support for the AD in firing him and also for the newly hired coach?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Exactly which is why now I'm wondering what this cycle should look like. When do players really start committing?

you have to remember Transfer Portal Players do not sign NLI's like High School or JUCO kids, so they may commit, but until on campus they are free game

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Considering we were late to the portal game last year and I don't follow other programs much, when can we expect commitments to start rolling in? I realize nothing is done until they're actually on campus but I'd feel a bit better about our fate if I saw some commitments.

6 minutes ago, untbowler said:

you have to remember Transfer Portal Players do not sign NLI's like High School or JUCO kids, so they may commit, but until on campus they are free game

 

'Twas in my original question but that was never answered. 

Should we expect players to start committing after bowl games when more guys enter the portal? Is it normal for things to be so quiet or in typical G5 fashion are we just waiting for the P5s to fill up so we can pick from what's left?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

'Twas in my original question but that was never answered. 

Should we expect players to start committing after bowl games when more guys enter the portal? Is it normal for things to be so quiet or in typical G5 fashion are we just waiting for the P5s to fill up so we can pick from what's left?

I wonder how many other schools already have transfers committed since the portal opened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Seth Littrell coached them to that bowl game but not in that bowl game. Bennett coached that bowl game. Bowl attendees did have the chance to see the new coach (Morris) during the pregame stuff though. I don’t know how you specifically pin that particular low attendance on Littrell, if he was the big issue wouldn’t more folks have come out to show their support for the AD in firing him and also for the newly hired coach?

Not pinning the attendance on Seth.  But we have to get out of the mindset that just getting to a bowl game is some significant accomplishment when more than half of all FBS.  The quality gap between teams G5 with 6-4 wins is minimal.  Fans know that and that  is why interest was minimal in that bowl game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

 

 

Literally everyone in the country is having to deal with the portal right now. There is already 3000 kids in the portal. And we havent played the first bowl game. There will be almost 6000 kids in when all is said and done. There are only a little over 11,000 availlible fbs schollys. 

Yes, But not many have to deal with as many that has entered the portal as we have. 

I appreciate your optimism. I truly do and I want nothing more than my grumpy, negative ned self to be proven wrong with my pesimism.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 19

      Season Ticket Renewals

    2. 3

      NCAA Football 25

    3. 3

      NCAA Football 25

    4. 19

      Season Ticket Renewals

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,346
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    Chasetr97
    Joined
  • GEOVbwaWAAEbd3Q.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.