Rogers eligibility?

BigWillie

I'm not as worried about Rogers as others have said. Some other program would have to give him a helluva NIL deal for it to be worth and our own NIL should funnel all the money we can to Rogers.

Maclin? If I'm not mistaken (which I could be, it's a long season) I thought he was on one of the coach shows at Rudy's and he said he was graduating this semester. Obviously would love to keep him and I think he has a huge risk of not being WR1 at a bigger program if he transfers, but if money is on the table I could see it.

We lose Rogers, who is waiting in the wings and can produce the same? We do have younger receivers (like Sides) that can step up. And if we keep our running back room, not too worried if we lose Maclin.

That said, Sides could be a target this off season too. He's young and his talent is obvious but I think we keep Sides for at least another year, but if he's as or more productive next year, I'd expect him to leave EXCEPT Sides is a Denton Guyer product and he stayed here.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

SMU doesn’t think about us like we do them.   They couldn’t care less about punishing us.  

Ponying up, say, $200K for a player they don't need, from a team they are not playing in the future, is some serious F U money.  They might have that much money, but I don't think they have that much stupidity.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Ponying up, say, $200K for a player they don't need, from a team they are not playing in the future, is some serious F U money.  They might have that much money, but I don't think they have that much stupidity.

I think you kay be underestimating how good Rodgers is.  Stone may not recover from the knee right away and the other kid is young.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

maybe I am.  Ultimately, I think we'd have to be in the room to read what's being talked about.  How do their donors perceive Rodgers' ability? How do they feel about their own QBs? And, possibly, how do they feel about Rodgers being at/from UNT?  Do they see other guys out there that they believe are better than Rodgers?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, Udomann said:

I might be a drama king, but be honest with yourself.  If you had an amazing season and a P5 called you up for $200k, would you even blink before saying yes? 

Either we pay or he walks. That's the (unfortunate) reality now. There is no team loyalty anymore, just what the player can get.

Shorter? Qb doesn't want to sit on the bench. If Rod can have a  the same type of per game stats and we have a half ass D, he would get some pro looks.

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Shorter? Qb doesn't want to sit on the bench. If Rod can have a  the same type of per game stats and we have a half ass D, he would get some pro looks.

I truly, truly do hope he stays for the promise that things could be amazing, but I guess if I were making a point it's that we need to pay to keep him. And we should.

We also need to pay for some very large and angry O/D Line players. 

If we aren't paying, we aren't really playing (I hate myself for even typing that sentence, damned NIL)

13 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I truly, truly do hope he stays for the promise that things could be amazing, but I guess if I were making a point it's that we need to pay to keep him. And we should.

We also need to pay for some very large and angry O/D Line players. 

If we aren't paying, we aren't really playing (I hate myself for even typing that sentence, damned NIL)

Agree, I have always stated NIL should go to QB and DL. Now add 1-2 linebackers.

18 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Without googling, can you tell me the back up QB's name for SMU? I'll give you a hint, he won a state championship here in Texas.

Kevin Jennings, SOC.  We should have offered  him.  Young man has the "Chandler Demeanor".  Very calm in the pocket.  Never understood why we didn't go after him.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Not a knee injury apparently. Latest is it is an ankle.

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Without googling, can you tell me the back up QB's name for SMU? I'll give you a hint, he won a state championship here in Texas.

Kevin Jennings, RS-FR, led South Oak Cliff to a Texas state title.

KJ has played sparingly in 2023, but has promising stats

18-24 w/3 TDs this year.  Also, some rushing 12 for 28 yards and score.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Kevin Jennings, RS-FR, led South Oak Cliff to a Texas state title.

KJ has played sparingly in 2023, but has promising stats

18-24 w/3 TDs this year.  Also, some rushing 12 for 28 yards and score.

Yeah saw that it was a broken bone earlier. Depending on how bad it is that could be a complicated injury to rehab. 

Since Rogers has already transferred (twice I believe?), he would need a waiver from the NCAA to grad transfer if I understand the rules correctly.

That being said, waivers have been pretty easy for big programs to get from the NCAA historically... although the NCAA is supposedly implementing tougher waiver guidelines based on their 2023 Convention.

From the NCAA Transfer Rules Page ...

Q13: What if the student-athlete transferred previously from another four-year school as an
undergraduate student
A13: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school
would not be able to use the one-time exception as a postgraduate transfer. However, a
waiver process exists for postgraduate students with a previous transfer history.

On 11/26/2023 at 8:54 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

I think you kay be underestimating how good Rodgers is.  Stone may not recover from the knee right away and the other kid is young.

On 11/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, greenminer said:

maybe I am.  Ultimately, I think we'd have to be in the room to read what's being talked about.  How do their donors perceive Rodgers' ability? How do they feel about their own QBs? And, possibly, how do they feel about Rodgers being at/from UNT?  Do they see other guys out there that they believe are better than Rodgers?

Chandler Rogers plays for North Texas. Aaron Rodgers is on IR for the New York Jets due to an achilles tear.

• Upvote 1