Do we have a game this week

southsideguy

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

All has gone quiet on the North Texas front with a game with UAB coming.  Are we that deflated we just want the season to end?  Happy Thanksgiving everyone and travel safe.

I wouldn't say deflated but disappointed that we couldn't at least make a bowl game this season. It's usually nice to have an extra game in December. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’ve seen some promotions on Twitter. Coach O is making a push to have 800 recruits at the game.  I think the Holiday week may be some of what you’re feeling. I don’t believe there’s a coaches show, either.  I agree, though. It doesn’t feel like a typical game week. 

Definitely a great game to get 800 recruits in front of all the empty seats and echoing soundboard. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

I was watching the highlights from the Tulsa game and it could have been the same highlight from ever game it seems.  I am not sure who is out of position or what happens.  The play I am talking about is when the other team running backs goes to the outside and there is no one near him.  This play has been run over and over and it usually gets large amounts of yards if not a td.  

I was watching the Tulsa highlight and I am not sure if the de or lb gets sucked into the inside.  I was taught a 100 years ago that you dont let the running back get outside instead force to the inside where you have more help.    As many times as we have seen it we can never stop it.  It usually happens in the first half of the game.  I dont know what changes in the second half but the play is not as successful in the second half. 

Any experts know what is going on when that happens?  I dont want to hear from the DC because if he could fix it i would not be asking the question.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I was watching the highlights from the Tulsa game and it could have been the same highlight from ever game it seems.  I am not sure who is out of position or what happens.  The play I am talking about is when the other team running backs goes to the outside and there is no one near him.  This play has been run over and over and it usually gets large amounts of yards if not a td.  

I was watching the Tulsa highlight and I am not sure if the de or lb gets sucked into the inside.  I was taught a 100 years ago that you dont let the running back get outside instead force to the inside where you have more help.    As many times as we have seen it we can never stop it.  It usually happens in the first half of the game.  I dont know what changes in the second half but the play is not as successful in the second half. 

Any experts know what is going on when that happens?  I dont want to hear from the DC because if he could fix it i would not be asking the question.

I think this defense forces them outside to be picked up by the safety. But it isn’t working. I agree that very often we see the OLB get trapped by the OT/TE and then there is no one else to make the tackle or it’s one on one with a blown tackle or bad angle. Eleven games in and we see the same mistakes. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Tulsa OC called a moronic game. They needed to run on first downs and just keep running. When they passed on first and it was incomplete, then it setup a situation where the biggest weakness of our team was not exposed. In obvious pass plays, we don't worry about the run and we have a fighting chance. Tulsa could have beaten us badly had they just called the obvious game plan against us. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Tulsa OC called a moronic game. They needed to run on first downs and just keep running. When they passed on first and it was incomplete, then it setup a situation where the biggest weakness of our team was not exposed. In obvious pass plays, we don't worry about the run and we have a fighting chance. Tulsa could have beaten us badly had they just called the obvious game plan against us. 

It was their passing game that was more effective. The only chunk rushing play was the TD run on the stretch zone down their sidelines for 28 yards. We got sealed and the back end missed two tackles that broke him loose.   

image.png.87d5abce0beeac53e42dfcbae1213003.png

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

They averaged 4.3 a carry. They needed to keep carrying the ball with that average and control the clock. Ole Dickey ball. The best defense against us is to keep our offense on the sidelines. 

They ended up having to pass more (and thus be ok and still score 28 points) because they didn't run the ball on first downs. They kept trying to get cute because they thought they had a gunslinger on their hands who was ready to make a statement. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

They averaged 4.3 a carry. They needed to keep carrying the ball with that average and control the clock. Ole Dickey ball. The best defense against us is to keep our offense on the sidelines. 

They ended up having to pass more (and thus be ok and still score 28 points) because they didn't run the ball on first downs. They kept trying to get cute because they thought they had a gunslinger on their hands who was ready to make a statement. 

I’m so glad you brought this up, especially considering that we had TWO backs who went for over 100 yards and averaged 7+ yards a carry.  

But sure, let’s discount the play of our team by pretending it was the refusal to keep leaning on a lesser running attack. 

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

But sure, let’s discount the play of our team by pretending it was the refusal to keep leaning on a lesser running attack. 

Are we here to talk football or just practice your rally cries? 

If I were their fans, I would be upset with the OC and HC.  That's all I said. 

Excited Cheer GIF

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

image.gif.fc8df22bf524b30b0694ab3cb825af6d.gif

• Haha 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Interesting that you mention that.  I nearly posted this pic a while back to ask if someone knew what happened, i.e. a blown coverage, a limitation of the 3-3, or just a good execution by the O.  I assume it's the same play you are referring to.

When I saw this play happen in real time, I was like, they could run this play and get 5 yds every time with a possibility of breaking for longer since it's a 1-on-1 open field tackle (assuming the left side receiver is able to make a decent block).  Sorry, that I didn't get any other info regarding the pre-snap setup, but I don't think any other players were to the left, so likely three receivers to the right (if my counting is accurate).

20231110_210605.jpg

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Interesting that you mention that.  I nearly posted this pic a while back to ask if someone knew what happened, i.e. a blown coverage, a limitation of the 3-3, or just a good execution by the O.  I assume it's the same play you are referring to.

When I saw this play happen in real time, I was like, they could run this play and get 5 yds every time with a possibility of breaking for longer since it's a 1-on-1 open field tackle (assuming the left side receiver is able to make a decent block).  Sorry, that I didn't get any other info regarding the pre-snap setup, but I don't think any other players were to the left, so likely three receivers to the right (if my counting is accurate).

20231110_210605.jpg

This is an example of hat on hat ( 5 blocking 5 in the box) and the theory is the play is to be bounced out but a lot of things went wrong. The end didn't hold the edge pressure, but a bigger issue is the two DE's are on the backside of the NG away for the play somehow. That is a problem. The safety is late running down the hash since he had no receiver to cover. He is at least 3-4 yards too deep and that increased the difficulty. The other cover safety should see run and peel off into run support.   The NG actually split his block to help spill.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Okiefan said:

This is an example of hat on hat ( 5 blocking 5 in the box) and the theory is the play is to be bounced out but a lot of things went wrong. The end didn't hold the edge pressure, but a bigger issue is the two DE's are on the backside of the NG away for the play somehow. That is a problem. The safety is late running down the hash since he had no receiver to cover. He is at least 3-4 yards too deep and that increased the difficulty. The other cover safety should see run and peel off into run support.   The NG actually split his block to help spill.

Thanks for the insight. 

• Upvote 1