Jimbo

MeanGreen_MBA

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

NIL dollars are going to be a big factor as it becomes a bigger part of college football. I think the home run hire would be Kiffin. Great name recognition and he has the contacts for the SEC recruiting areas. 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think Phil Knight will have a say in NIL money if/as needed.

Exactly what I was going to say. That Nike money can sustain anything Oregon needs. 

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

He already makes $7M a year. With what they have going up in Oregon I don't know if they have what it takes to lure him. 

they just decided to pay a coach $75 million to NOT coach the team... i would say there is motivation to get a contract with A&M

• Upvote 2

Bjork said the athletic department and the 12th Man Foundation, a Section 501(c)(3) charitable organization that is the university's fundraising arm for athletics, will cover the costs.

"The finances are monumental," Bjork said. "Let me be very clear in this next part: Texas A&M athletics and the 12th Man Foundation will be the sole sources of the necessary funds covering these transition costs."

"We have a lot of new revenue coming our way too, but we also have to manage expenses," Bjork said. "There's a lot of things within even the football budget that we've got flexibility on where we can still be at a high level, but we can also spend a lot less, but we can be a championship-funded program. We're going to adjust all that."

With the transfer portal opening Dec. 4, Bjork said that will be a key date as the program transitions to a new coach.

"It's not ideal," Bjork said. "But also not unique in the modern day of college football, especially given [the] transfer portal world, signing day and all those dynamics that played into it."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38886070/texas-ad-fired-jimbo-fisher-program-stuck-neutral

22 hours ago, NM Green said:

Aggies need to go get Traylor. Dude can scoop up every Texas talented player and they would save some money after the huge payout. Rumor has it Jeff is an Aggie guy. But is the name big enough?

I don't think Traylor is a big enough name.

A&M reaching into the G5 to get Traylor would be a lot like when Florida did the same to get Napier. Napier was 40-12 in four seasons at Louisiana. Traylor is 37-13 in four seasons at UTSA.

There is one important difference -- Traylor has connections all over Texas and Napier didn't have them all over Florida. But I don't think that will get him the job over much bigger names in the P5.

It also doesn't help that the Gators currently stink under Napier.

Edited by rcade

This has to be the greatest Aggie joke of all time. 

No one held a gun to the Aggies and forced them to sign that contract. They did it because they thought Jimbo would win them a National Championship by now. He didn't, but those who think he's "not motivated" haven't been paying attention. He's been doing everything he can to improve, but it hasn't worked yet. 

I find it very funny no matter what they try, the Aggies seem to average 8-5 in the SEC. They averaged 8-5 in the Big XII. They averaged 7-4 in the SWC. Maybe, just adding more money isn't the answer. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I find it very funny no matter what they try, the Aggies seem to average 8-5 in the SEC. They averaged 8-5 in the Big XII. They averaged 7-4 in the SWC. Maybe, just adding more money isn't the answer. 

This will soon become the reality for many high-profile programs when they all get together in the SEC and Big10 Super Conferences.   

When OU, Texas, Washington, Oregon, USC, etc all start playing these tough conference schedules and finish 8-5 or worse, a coaching change will be the first reaction from fans.  Some are wanting it here already.  The P5 $$ schools  can afford to change coaches every other year until they hit on one that gets them to 11-2, lol.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It might be good for them to hire someone like him at a lesser contract to kind of reset the market before they go stupid again trying to get someone big time. Right now any big name coach is going to want over what Jimbo got. They need to change that to where Jimbo is no longer the last coach.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It might be good for them to hire someone like him at a lesser contract to kind of reset the market before they go stupid again trying to get someone big time. Right now any big name coach is going to want over what Jimbo got. They need to change that to where Jimbo is no longer the last coach.

I agree but I'm also not sure they care and I also don't see how they get themselves out of a big contract at this point. They've already shown they'll throw money around. If I'm the next HC, I'm not taking a discount. It just cheapens my accomplishments. Either I'm the guy or I'm not. There's several head coaches around the country with similar experience as Traylor making in the $7-$9 million per year range at big name schools. Sure, he probably won't get Jimbo money at 9.5 per year but if you're A&M and I'm Traylor and I'm the guy you want, you're going to pay me like you would any other A&M HC.

If I'm not mistaken, Kiffin is the betting favorite to get the job. Now that would probably reset the market. He currently makes in the 9 million range if I'm not mistaken.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Next Texas A&M Head Coach Odds LINK: https://bookies.com/college-football/picks/next-texas-am-coach-odds

Coach Current Job Odds Implied Probability
Mike Elko Duke HC +200 33.3%
Jeff Traylor UTSA HC +300 25%
Dan Lanning Oregon HC +500 16.7%
Kalen DeBoer Washington HC +800 11.1%
Lane Kiffin Ole Miss HC +1200 7.7%
Lance Leipold Kansas HC +1500 6.3%
Mike Norvell Florida State HC +1800 5.3%
Chris Klieman Kansas State HC +2000 4.8%
The Field NA +1000

9.09%

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 5:24 PM, NM Green said:

Aggies need to go get Traylor. Dude can scoop up every Texas talented player and they would save some money after the huge payout. Rumor has it Jeff is an Aggie guy. But is the name big enough?

Dude can work the portal. Has extreme connections with local coaches and kids. Could recruit the country selling ice cream to an Eskimo. 

Interesting watch down in College Station. 

GMG

I think Traylor is gone from UTSA, said it when Fisher was fired, and saying it again.  No one else wants the A&M job, not Kiffin, not Lanning.  

Edited by BBA1989