***Official UNT vs. SMU In-Game Discussion (THE FINALE)***

Coach Andy Mac

10 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Below 0.500 against FBS that entire time.  What are you talking about?  The only improvement was 2020 to 2021.   Seven years in and we are a pitch fork crowd?  No it apparent QB on the roster, best defensive players leaving mediocre defenses?  Are you on this man’s payroll?   How about you extend some of the patience you had for Seth in years 5-7 to Eric’s FIRST SEASON.   🤦🏽‍♂️

2019 4-8 (3-5 CUSA)

2020 4-6 (3-4 CUSA)

2021 6-7 (5-3 CUSA)

2022 7-6 or 7-7 if you want to include the bowl (6-2 CUSA)

Improvement every year after 2019 just like I said. When Harrell and some of our better assistants left for P5 it caused a massive falloff in 2019 but that didn’t continue. Littrell began to build this thing back slowly brick by brick, just wasn’t as fast as we would have liked. Morris is tearing it down in year 1.

I won’t exercise the patience for Morris I had for Littrell in year 5-7 or year 1 because Littrell took a 1-11 team to 5-7 in year 1. In years 5-7 he improved the team’s win/loss total by a single game every year. Morris has taken a 7-6/7-7 team to a 3-7 record. I can’t see us winning both remaining games which means the best Morris’ team could finish is 4-8, the absolutely worst season Seth Littrell had in 7 years. Forget that. This guy was hired to make us better, not worse, and he plain and simple is not getting it done.

Dodge, McCarney, and Littrell all took over complete disasterss. Morris is the first coach in decades that got to take over a respectable North Texas football team and he is blowing it.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Thinking Seth’s team runs game is so dominant they beat anyone on this year’s schedule other than FIU is pure delusion. You have to have a good defense (or at least ranked above 80 in FBS) to make that work.  We weren’t close to UTSA the second game last year.  They beat nobody the caliber of Tulane, Memphis, California, they aren’t getting close with a QB throwing around 50% completions who isn’t scary run threat.  Cannot believe we have people pining for mediocre Seth 🤦🏽‍♂️ irrational and sad. 

Oh yea, the second game, why would we play them twice? Because we were playing for a conference title which is something that Eric Morris will never get to do here.

What is irrational and sad is making excuses for a coach playing almost all of the same teams and having similar or worse results. I don’t know how long you have been around but mediocre Seth was light years more enjoyable than what we had for most if the years prior to his arrival. He is 4th all time in wins, 2nd in conference wins, and 6th all time in win percentage. If you take out the pre-WW2 guys, he is 3rd all time in win percentage behind only Hayden Fry and Odus Mitchell. Pretty good company if you ask me.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

2019 4-8 (3-5 CUSA)

2020 4-6 (3-4 CUSA)

2021 6-7 (5-3 CUSA)

2022 7-6 or 7-7 if you want to include the bowl (6-2 CUSA)

Improvement every year after 2019 just like I said. When Harrell and some of our better assistants left for P5 it caused a massive falloff in 2019 but that didn’t continue. Littrell began to build this thing back slowly brick by brick, just wasn’t as fast as we would have liked. Morris is tearing it down in year 1.

I won’t exercise the patience for Morris I had for Littrell in year 5-7 or year 1 because Littrell took a 1-11 team to 5-7 in year 1. In years 5-7 he improved the team’s win/loss total by a single game every year. Morris has taken a 7-6/7-7 team to a 3-7 record. I can’t see us winning both remaining games which means the best Morris’ team could finish is 4-8, the absolutely worst season Seth Littrell had in 7 years. Forget that. This guy was hired to make us better, not worse, and he plain and simple is not getting it done.

Dodge, McCarney, and Littrell all took over complete disasterss. Morris is the first coach in decades that got to take over a respectable North Texas football team and he is blowing it.

Okay I got CUSA was a bad conference we left and you are citing improvement against that conference as significant.  That is ridiculous to me still.  So 4 years in he start building slowly?  We weren't close to doing ANYTHING in AAC.  Great he beats an old FIU in out if conference schedule that an his extension gets you an empty DATCU.  His teams WEREN'T good after his first good QB left.  So yeah you are irrational:  Lifetime contracts for anyone who comes to UNT and not horrible. 🙄

• Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Oh yea, the second game, why would we play them twice? Because we were playing for a conference title which is something that Eric Morris will never get to do here.

What is irrational and sad is making excuses for a coach playing almost all of the same teams and having similar or worse results. I don’t know how long you have been around but mediocre Seth was light years more enjoyable than what we had for most if the years prior to his arrival. He is 4th all time in wins, 2nd in conference wins, and 6th all time in win percentage. If you take out the pre-WW2 guys, he is 3rd all time in win percentage behind only Hayden Fry and Odus Mitchell. Pretty good company if you ask me.

Everything you cited is an indictment of the UNT program not just Coach Morris. This program is &$?!* garbage and has been for 25 freaking  years but now you’re on your high horse defending Seth as some kind of savior. 🙄  He wasn't close to winning a conference with UTSA as it top team.  Now we have to contend with Memphis, Tulane and several other programs that historically better funded than the best of the  CUSA programs we left behind.

We beat FIU with Seth here and no QB.  No passing game and a defense hopefully better than 100th in FBS. Yes that really sounds like a winner in AAC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

And Dickey sound have gotten financial support and never fired using that same logic.  But a least he had conference titles and a bowl win. 🙄

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

12 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Okay I got CUSA was a bad conference we left and you are citing improvement against that conference as significant.  That is ridiculous to me still.  So 4 years in he start building slowly?  We weren't close to doing ANYTHING in AAC.  Great he beats an old FIU in out if conference schedule that an his extension gets you an empty DATCU.  His teams WEREN'T good after his first good QB left.  So yeah you are irrational:  Lifetime contracts for anyone who comes to UNT and not horrible. 🙄

I’m talking about common opponents here. Morris was NOT brought in to be on par with Littrell. He was brought in to be better. He is not. His record against the same opponents we faced last yearis one game worse than Littrell and that includes SL’s losses to SMU and Memphis last season. If we wanted the same results we could’ve just had Littrell coaching the team this year since we have to pay him for it anyway.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

59 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Everything you cited is an indictment of the UNT program not just Coach Morris. This program is &$?!* garbage and has been for 25 freaking  years but now you’re on your high horse defending Seth as some kind of savior. 🙄  He wasn't close to winning a conference with UTSA as it top team.  Now we have to contend with Memphis, Tulane and several other programs that historically better funded than the best of the  CUSA programs we left behind.

We beat FIU with Seth here and no QB.  No passing game and a defense hopefully better than 100th in FBS. Yes that really sounds like a winner in AAC. 

We played Memphis last year, so what. What has Morris done outside of one good season at UIW? GJ Kinne picked up where Morris left them and made them even better just like he is doing at Texas State. My bone in this deal is that Morris is supposed to make us better than Littrell, not “as good as” Littrell. His job was to improve us and he is failing miserably. The bar wasn’t to be “just as good” the bar was that we have a .500 bowl team that gets to the conference title game every 4 years, we want you to take them and make them better. He simply has not done that.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

This business with the SL longing is literally SO last year.  He had to go cause of too many blowout losses. If we get many more of those, I’ll be on the Fire Morris bandwagon. I knew it would likely be something of a step back at first, but I also figure the end results in all these losses this season other than FIU under SL would have been blowout numbers, so in some way it was probably an improvement. The defense against run has to change in a major way immediately, however that needs to occur, but you know how it will NOT occur? Bringing back SL, so move on.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

We played Memphis last year, so what. What has Morris done outside of one good season at UIW? GJ Kinne picked up where Morris left them and made them even better just like he is doing at Texas State. My bone in this deal is that Morris is supposed to make us better than Littrell, not “as good as” Littrell. He job was to improve us and he is failing miserably. The bar wasn’t to be “just as good” the bar was that we have a .500 bowl team that gets to the conference title game every 4 years, we want you to take them and make them better. He simply has not done that.

Now this… I very much agree with. 

SL was incredibly frustrating and I was more than ready to see him go after how many programs passed us by and we were just stagnant under him… he needed to be let go. And A year or two too late if you ask me.  
EM and his staffing selection and poor recruiting and team building (yes more is on you immediately with the portal) has truly made us worse.  

id love for us to start completely over but we don’t have the money for that. At best, we gotta find a new DC to show some face to the players and fans. He won’t do it though. And we are going to be stuck backsliding to further mediocrity under this arrangement. 

• Upvote 5

We are never going to get enough top talent to compete and win an AAC title in football.  Like someone already alluded to any quality players we do cultivate will only be lured away to the programs offering big bucks. We literally are now nothing more than part of a farm system for the major programs. Even if we did have a magical season it will never be sustainable. Not anymore. 

Having a succession of apathetic and incompetent Administrations for decades has not only contributed but also sealed our fate. 

This football program has been cursed for a very long time. The only hope is to find administrators and personnel who understand how to break the curse.

I do not believe those individuals who possess those skills are currently associated with UNT. 

*based on over 50 years of observation. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I'm honestly shocked how negative it is here.  I thought your team looked VASTLY improved from previous years. You look like you are just deficient in talent in key places, which is to be expected after an overdue coach gets fired and the new one doesn't have to to bring in anyone. Get some transfer and a decent class and you're going to be much improved.

You should be more optimistic today than at any point in the last 3 or 4 years, at least.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Same old shit.

We're a basketball school. Quit burning so much money in football. Shift a good % to basketball and run with it. And I don't give a damn if we're in Texas. That clearly doesn't matter. 

It’s a shame to have built a fairly nice football stadium and IPF only to have no clue how to win and fill the venue. 

Pathetic. What a waste of resources. 

I guess the clowns running the show actually fell for the line, “build it and they will come” 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

On 11/11/2023 at 12:41 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Same old shit.

We're a basketball school. Quit burning so much money in football. Shift a good % to basketball and run with it. And I don't give a damn if we're in Texas. That clearly doesn't matter. 

100% - In basketball we add banners, football we just clean off dust.

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Same old shit.

This is why I have been saying we should drop football.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

We played Memphis last year, so what. What has Morris done outside of one good season at UIW? GJ Kinne picked up where Morris left them and made them even better just like he is doing at Texas State. My bone in this deal is that Morris is supposed to make us better than Littrell, not “as good as” Littrell. His job was to improve us and he is failing miserably. The bar wasn’t to be “just as good” the bar was that we have a .500 bowl team that gets to the conference title game every 4 years, we want you to take them and make them better. He simply has not done that.

I am not saying he is a success.  But it is beyond stupid not to expect some growing pains this year.  Last year's team wasn't good.  And arguing going forward with an offensive head coach who couldn't figure out the QB position in 4 years isn't smart.  So fire Morris before season over who can you afford to replacement him with?  Not only that putting myself in the position of any of the staff you might want to retain, I am leaving and telling everyone this is an all the sudden arrogant but trash program who doesn't have a clue.   This team with all it's flaws this year is 3-4 plays from winning those close games.   So instead of 7 losses we have 4 or 5

It isn't excuses but suggesting firing a head coach before 18 months on the job it just silly when there weren't lofty expectations of this team before the hire was made.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I am not saying he is a success.  But it is beyond stupid not to expect some growing pains this year.  Last year's team wasn't good.  And arguing going forward with an offensive head coach who couldn't figure out the QB position in 4 years isn't smart.  So fire Morris before season over who can you afford to replacement him with?  Not only that putting myself in the position of any of the staff you might want to retain, I am leaving and telling everyone this is an all the sudden arrogant but trash program who doesn't have a clue.   This team with all it's flaws this year is 3-4 plays from winning those close games.   So instead of 7 losses we have 4 or 5

It isn't excuses but suggesting firing a head coach before 18 months on the job it just silly when there weren't lofty expectations of this team before the hire was made.

You do realize that expectations are the reason Eric Morris was hired in the first place. Seth Littrell had to win the conference title in order to keep his job for another season. He fell short. You are now saying we shouldn’t even expect Morris to continue getting us in bowl games?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Right, because it didn't work for UTA without football, it won't work for anyone.  Good thing schools like Gonzaga and Wichita State didn't let that excuse keep them from great basketball and baseball programs.

What point are you attempting to make?  It did work for UTA, they saved a lot of money, they just up to this point have not been able to field a real strong men's bb program.   They were on par with NT, but the drop in league quality has hurt them.

What excuse, where do you see any excuses given?

What have Gonzaga and WSU got to do with anything?  They had football at one time and now are great BB programs.  Being that was 37 years ago for WSU and over 80 years ago for Gonzaga, I think any kind of causality would be difficult to prove. 

Let me attempt to explain my point, just dropping one sport is not going to make the remaining sports better.  Hence, being a basketball first school is not going to magically make  basketball better.   I could argue the opposite, football creates interest in the school that can definitely benefit other sports.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2