Expect Low Attendance

rojomojo

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I agree the majority were there to see the Deion Circus in town.  But 26 miles to the stadium in L.A. traffic is a hike from their campus, so I would understand students complaining about that. 

But for us, for students to complain about walking over a bridge across I-35 to tailgate is nothing but a lame excuse not to go.

I agree the Rose Bowl is poorly located for UCLA students. If location is the gripe, UNT students can't claim that excuse. Look around the country and attendance is down in most places. The difference is P5s have a few marquee matchups per year that boost attendance numbers but outside of those matchups, attendance is a nationwide issue. The younger generation currently hitting adulthood is just not as interested in sports as previous generations. If they go to games it's for the social angle, not the game itself.

I just find it funny because almost every program has an excuse. For us, it's across the highway and we don't win enough. For UCLA it's that they're a few miles away from downtown Los Angeles. The reality is, most don't care about college athletics anymore.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:10 PM, untjim1995 said:

This is my take. You cannot make people care about something that the culture that surrounds the place discourages any interest to the sport even if you like the sport. In that regard, the university rally attracts the student that either doesn't care about sports or absolutely loathes its existence here. Not much you can do about it.

I have some thoughts on the genesis of this culture and how it has been purposefully nurtured and sustained generation after generation of UNT students.  However, I'm hesitant to share it because it goes to a core aspect of our university and the potential steps necessary to begin chipping away at it will probably piss off a lot of people.  It's something I encountered/experienced during my time in school (many years ago) and have heard repeated offhandedly by many others that came after me that I have absolutely no relationship with.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

I have some thoughts on the genesis of this culture and how it has been purposefully nurtured and sustained generation after generation of UNT students.  However, I'm hesitant to share it because it goes to a core aspect of our university and the potential steps necessary to begin chipping away at it will probably piss off a lot of people.  It's something I encountered/experienced during my time in school (many years ago) and have heard repeated offhandedly by many others that came after me that I have absolutely no relationship with.  

Well sir, you've peaked my interest and I'd love to hear your thoughts.   🙂

I'm not sure if there is a purposeful undercurrent of non-support for athletics per se (I could be wrong here - I just haven't experienced it myself).  Edit - I do accept that the downgrade to I-AA in the early '80's could be defined as purposeful non-support - or a horrible decision at a minimum.

I see UNT's apathy problem simply as not having a multi-generational support vehicle like "big" programs have enjoyed.  Think of how some high schools around Texas have huge support for a particular program, even when the program is having 1 or more down years.  At my HS, it was marching band that had multi-generational, never-wavering support, and the support came from many, many years of success across generations.  Some "big" programs also have that type of support (and subsequent t-shirt fans) where kids are born into a generational support vehicle for a program.  UNT just hasn't had sustained, high-profile success across generations to create a large following. 

Apathy can be overcome (at least short term) by becoming high-profile ... having consecutive 10-win seasons, having a generational win (see App St. vs Michigan), having a Heisman candidate, or maybe a high-profile coach (see Colorado).  I hope UNT hits on one of these eventually and then starts the process of larger-scale generational support.

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 10/27/2023 at 7:04 PM, rojomojo said:

My fraternity just canceled our tailgate for tomorrow. Rumor is that many frats will be cancelling as well. I saw that the athletic department is giving away free t shirts to the first 500 students, however I am not confident 500 students will show up...

You're not going to get students walk across miles of asphalt and uncovered areas just to watch UNT football... Tomorrow will be a day that greatly displays the negative aspects of NIMBY stadium projects and the impacts they have on collegiate demographics. 

I went to this game knowing I might get rained on. Your frat are a bunch of pussies.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Especially when like 70% of our student population comes from Texas. Like wasn't this a Friday night tradition for most of you already? 

It's cool how casually people on this board throw out the misogyny as soon as there's an opportunity to call a man weak. 

Nobody here cares about your opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• Harry locked this topic