ACU Attendance Outdraws CAL Attendance...

rojomojo

While only being a margin under 1k, the ACU game managed to draw more fans than the Cal game (according to ESPN.) While it's great to see attendance didn't suffer after the Cal disaster, does this bring more concern than optimism? I mean who could've guessed before the season that our FCS matchup would gain more fans than against a power 5 squad?

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

8 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

While only being a margin under 1k, the ACU game managed to draw more fans than the Cal game (according to ESPN.) While it's great to see attendance didn't suffer after the Cal disaster, does this bring more concern than optimism? I mean who could've guessed before the season that our FCS matchup would gain more fans than against a power 5 squad?

The helicopter parents had to come check on their kiddos this past weekend. 

3PM kickoff vs Cal scared off the average fan.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

It be concerning to the ACC that California football (or sports) doesn't move the needle for opposing fans.

Cal doesn't even move the needle for their home fans.  I saw articles before the ACC invite advocating shutting down their football. 

Here is their home game last week vs Ariz St, just before kickoff (announced crowd as 34K)...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Cal doesn't even move the needle for their home fans.  I saw articles before the ACC invite advocating shutting down their football. 

Here is their home game last week vs Ariz St, just before kickoff (announced crowd as 34K)...

Jeez.  Compare that to the Virginia Tech game on Saturday.  And they were 1-3 going into that game.  Cal -- and SMU, for that matter -- have a lot of work to do.

VT Pitt Game.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

The helicopter parents had to come check on their kiddos this past weekend.

It really is amazing how this changed.  In the early 80's, I packed my car and drove a couple of hours to Denton.  My mom probably gave me a few leftovers for a couple of meals, but that's about it.  I probably called to let them know that I got there and likely the next weekend to let them know how classes were going.  A generation earlier, my uncle hitch-hiked to Austin numerous times when he'd come home over break, etc. 

Nowadays, I think parents (mostly mothers) would have a panic attack if they didn't hear from their kid daily.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I wouldn’t put too much thought into these “attendance” numbers anyway. It’s not butts in seats they’re reporting.

So True, I don't thing many understand that. 

If there were not so many other entertainment options in the DFW area, our attendance would be much better.

If we had a new stadium, our attendance would be much better.

If we were in a better conference, our attendance would be much better.

If we could get teams people have heard of (P5) to play us at home, our attendance would be much better.

If the temperature could stay between 75-80 degrees with no rain and calm winds, our attendance would be much better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yeah I’d imagine if the game was like 6:00, the crowd would be around 23-24K with way more student/tshirt fans in the house 

It wasn't 100 degrees.  I attended and, trust me, it wasn't close to being the hottest game ever played at Fouts/Apogee/DATCU

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

It wasn't 100 degrees.  I attended and, trust me, it wasn't close to being the hottest game ever played at Fouts/Apogee/DATCU

Oh I mean it wasn’t that bad and there was cloud, I was on the sideline and was getting hot but nothing compared to like Ball State in 2013 or SMU in 2014.

But for others, it could be and some don’t want to be in the heat🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s the mentality, If we won the CUsA championship and a bowl game, it would’ve looked a lot different…

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Oh I mean it wasn’t that bad and there was cloud, I was on the sideline and was getting hot but nothing compared to like Ball State in 2013 or SMU in 2014.

But for others, it could be and some don’t want to be in the heat🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s the mentality, If we won the CUsA championship and a bowl game, it would’ve looked a lot different…

I think Labor Day weekend and the predicted 106 degrees in the shade was part of it and to your point, we were a pretty bad team last year when it counted. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, meaniegreenie said:

It really is amazing how this changed.  In the early 80's, I packed my car and drove a couple of hours to Denton.  My mom probably gave me a few leftovers for a couple of meals, but that's about it.  I probably called to let them know that I got there and likely the next weekend to let them know how classes were going.  A generation earlier, my uncle hitch-hiked to Austin numerous times when he'd come home over break, etc. 

Nowadays, I think parents (mostly mothers) would have a panic attack if they didn't hear from their kid daily.

I blame cell phones. Everybody is so accessible to their family and friends that they panic when they don't immediately get a response. It's even worst with smart phones now because there's applications where you can share your phone location with family/friends and can essentially track them in real time. You go back even just 15-20 years and if you didn't hear from somebody for a few weeks,  you just assumed they were fine.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1