The real test for this team is week 3!

GMoney

I've seen all the overreactions about this team and the new coach and congrats - you said it first.  You don't know what you have or what you really need to work on until you play a game.  Scrimmaging against yourself is fine but it's not the same.  The big lights aren't there, the 1st team vs 1st team at the highest level isn't there.  The knowing of a guy or system you played against for 3 weeks (longer including Spring) isn't there.

Week 2 you make you adjustments.  Week 3 is LaTech on the road (a team that always plays us good).  That is the week I'm looking at to tell what this team is about.

Week 1, not good, week 2 better see improvement (especially tackling), week 3 is the remainder of the season!

• Upvote 6

Skip Holtz isn't there anymore.  La Tech is bad, almost as bad as FIU.  If we lose to them, I will be worried.  The test begins on the 4-game stretch from Navy to Memphis.  We should be able to come out of that stretch 2-2.  Anything better will be a good sign; anything worse will be a cause for concern.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

It's a test every week. EVERYBODY is overlooking FIU. So far we have a 10 game series with FIU and we're at .500. Yea they aren't very good but from what I saw Sat we may not be either. I'm sure they would like to take the series...

For me this will be a major test of the MG to move forward.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We beat FIU last year 52-14, and we beat LATech last year 47-27.   No excuse to lose either one.  None.

💯 The staff did not inherit a garbage roster. We have talent. It needs to be put in a position to succeed. Get the running game going. Take pressure off the new QB a bit. Impose physicality. Take advantage of situational matchup advantages with the WR’s. 

Defensively - I’d like to see the base alignment changed but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Hopefully they can simplify things this week with an emphasis on wrapping up and getting the ball carrier to the ground. No more shoulder shots and arm tackles.