The new Power 5?

Two observations -

I think what becomes of this is the College Football Playoff eliminates all automatic bids. This will give the Power 2 a chance at having more teams in the playoffs.

If you are correct and the autonomy belongs to the name of the conference, then does that give the WAC the standing they need to reclaim themselves as an FBS conference since they claim that the WAC was awarded an FBS conference standing?

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Two observations -

I think what becomes of this is the College Football Playoff eliminates all automatic bids. This will give the Power 2 a chance at having more teams in the playoffs.

If you are correct and the autonomy belongs to the name of the conference, then does that give the WAC the standing they need to reclaim themselves as an FBS conference since they claim that the WAC was awarded an FBS conference standing?

Agree that the CFP structure will change now to favor the P2, which sucks. My hope is that they keep the top 6 highest ranked conference champions because the AAC, MWC, Sun Belt, and occasionally the MAC all field strong teams that could do well and provide a Cinderella story here or there which everyone loves in college sports. Then, just expand the playoff number to the next 10 highest ranked teams or something to add four more from (most likely) the P2. 

College sports becomes a lot less interesting without the Cinderella stories, IMO. If they favor the P2 too strongly in the playoffs, they’ll lose fans and therefore media dollars. 

I’m unsure about the WAC/FBS status. 

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I 100% agree here. If the Cartel wants to stay in power this is the easiest thing to do. 

Just do away with auto bids and “autonomy”. Have a selection committee and they just pick the 12 teams they want in.  

It would be pretty easy for them to justify putting in a 3 or 4 loss SEC team over an undefeated AAC team. Do away with the auto bids then they can do what they want.  

Who gets in, an 8-3 Ole Miss team with say….losses to Bama, LSU, and Texas? Or a 12-0 UNT with a win over a Wyoming, Tulane and UTSA. I think that’s an easy decision for the committee and the media will back them. 12 spots. 10 of them will be from the new mega conferences and a couple from ACC (unless Notre Dame goes 10-2 or maybe 9-3….then they’re in) 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

22 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I don’t even know why people keep posting anything related to the Power 5 anymore. It’s going to get blown up. There’s no way the SEC/Big 10 in their future states are going to let these other conferences be on equal footing.

Which is precisely why I snicker when I hear all of this “The remaining PAC teams will just raid the AAC and MWC” talk.   So now AAC and MWC teams want to add west coast travel to their non-revenue sports just to be left out in the cold anyway?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Which is precisely why I snicker when I hear all of this “The remaining PAC teams will just raid the AAC and MWC” talk.   So now AAC and MWC teams want to add west coast travel to their non-revenue sports just to be left out in the cold anyway?

Along the same path - The PAC could not get a good contract with the schools that left available "inventory." Chances are the PAC will not get a deal much better than the AAC currently has, and the league owes a lot of money. But hey, in 2023, who says college presidents make sane choices? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I 100% agree here. If the Cartel wants to stay in power this is the easiest thing to do. 

Just do away with auto bids and “autonomy”. Have a selection committee and they just pick the 12 teams they want in.  

It would be pretty easy for them to justify putting in a 3 or 4 loss SEC team over an undefeated AAC team. Do away with the auto bids then they can do what they want.  

Who gets in, an 8-3 Ole Miss team with say….losses to Bama, LSU, and Texas? Or a 12-0 UNT with a win over a Wyoming, Tulane and UTSA. I think that’s an easy decision for the committee and the media will back them. 12 spots. 10 of them will be from the new mega conferences and a couple from ACC (unless Notre Dame goes 10-2 or maybe 9-3….then they’re in) 

Then it's basically a worse version of the NCAA basketball tourney selection committee. Dolts rewarding teams for losing vs their "strong" schedule instead of rewarding winners. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Then it's basically a worse version of the NCAA basketball tourney selection committee. Dolts rewarding teams for losing vs their "strong" schedule instead of rewarding winners. 

Which is basically what they want anyway…

I’m sure none of the of the big programs or Networks really wanted USC playing Tulane in the Cotton Bowl regardless of what the structure currently in place allows. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle

On 8/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Which is basically what they want anyway…

I’m sure none of the of the big programs or Networks really wanted USC playing Tulane in the Cotton Bowl regardless of what the structure currently in place allows. 

Well, they were two private schools.

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I was reading where one of the football podsters said that there was no more P5.  It's A5 according to him.  I believe that the A stood for Approved.  What he implied was that the AAC would be one of the five approved qualifiers for the playoff.  

It seems word is getting 'round that Autonomous 5 is the formal wording now, maybe more people are actually reading the NCAA bylaws.  Perhaps we will see P5/G5 designation disappear like it should have with the BCS.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It seems word is getting 'round that Autonomous 5 is the formal wording now, maybe more people are actually reading the NCAA bylaws.  Perhaps we will see P5/G5 designation disappear like it should have with the BCS.

Look the autonomy means you are eligible fpr an auto bid to the 12 team playoffs if you meet certain criteria (top 25 et ).  Yes it impacts your ability to vote on legislation but no-one cares about that.  They care about the auto bids and frankly the Pac 4 will not keep them.

29 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Look the autonomy means you are eligible fpr an auto bid to the 12 team playoffs if you meet certain criteria (top 25 et ).  Yes it impacts your ability to vote on legislation but no-one cares about that.  They care about the auto bids and frankly the Pac 4 will not keep them.

I think you kinda get the CFP selection process, but "autobid" is misleading IMO and shouldn't be used.

As far as the vote...

On 8/5/2023 at 11:16 AM, Cerebus said:

NCAA did specifically to allow those conference to decide on player compensation rules.  

Tommy, IMO, this vote carries a TON of weight.  Not to be dismissed.

Edited by greenminer

On 8/6/2023 at 12:51 PM, MeanGreenGlory said:

College sports becomes a lot less interesting without the Cinderella stories, IMO. If they favor the P2 too strongly in the playoffs, they’ll lose fans and therefore media dollars.

I can’t wait for all the dead weight in these conferences to get their overdue karma. Indiana, Illinois, Vandy, South Carolina, Maryland, Northwestern and others.  Media distributors are start paying attention to the big money they are paying for games with low ratings.  If I am media next round, I am not paying one extra dollar for the rights to games like Iowa vs Minnesota, or Rutgers vs Maryland.   There are a ton more of those games than Penn State vs Michigan. 

• Upvote 1