PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

:Deep breathe.  Wouldn't have Judy.

Very true. 

If the douches do leave (smu/tulane/memphis/usf), I would love to get Army and AF. Host the president cup games as conference games and have the Navy vs Army game as The American game of the year hosted by the American conference. Snag app st and James Madison. And I think we'd still be better off than cusa as it was. There is a way to still be better. And given that our dude is Aresco and not Judy is d somewhat reassuring. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Navy has to play in the west division, it was a condition of them joining the AAC. They want to be in the Texas recruiting market. 

Doesn’t matter.  We’re going to be in CUSA again, except we’ll call it the AAC and we’ll have a good commissioner.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I agreed with another alum today for another version of the PAC. He said many of them were even meeting tonight (except UNT was not part of that meeting).🤢

AAC will say goodbye to:

•••SMU (money, money, money & NIL gold•••Tulane (former SEC school)…Rice U (will spend part of their multi-billion endowment if they were in a P5 PAC ??;   UTSA (the big surprise of all because—when they win—San Antonio supports them, SA is a tourist destination city with the Alamo, the River Walk, major college sized stadium that also has a bowl game—sorry, but how many G5 conferences with schools who have 30,000 seat stadiums are part of any discussion for a Power 5 conference?  How about none? Big donors at SMU like Garry Webber saw this & are now taking care of business at G. Ford Stadium.  
🦅  It’s our school so no matter how all this plays out—I’ll still see (some of you) at DATCU Stadium vs the CAL Bears.  •••All we can do in spite of the times we live with all this NCAA non-sense is to keep blooming where planted. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Take em all, big12! 

THEN, the AAC can go get the best four G5s available. No reason to stay pat at 14. Wanna be a part of the club gotta act like you belong in the club. 

Crush Your Enemy Totally
“If one ember is left alight, no matter how dimly it smolders, a fire will eventually break out. More is lost through stopping halfway than through total annihilation: The enemy will recover, and will seek revenge. Crush him, not only in body but in spirit."

- Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

• Upvote 2

we can only control what we can control.  Rice is no loss, Smut dont like them anyway.  UTSA they will have no rivalry games.  If they are gone we should not schedule any of them.  SMUT doesn't bring fans to our field as well as Rice.  We have big crowds at our stadium because we love to hate them.  They have big crowds we play that at Ford because we love to hate them.

I am not sure who we pick up to replace them with.  If SDSU goes  maybe it opens the door for some MWC schools.  Regardless of who they get it wont be the PAC12 of old. You think someone will pay for Rice to replace USC and UTSA replace UCLA, SMU to replace Oregon or Washington.  The equation wont be equal.

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Another thing people are not talking about is will the PAC withhold conference distribution for the 6 teams leaving this year? Last year it was $37m per team, so will they have $222M to bolster their current teams as well as entice new ones? 

But the PAC also has at least a couple current legal suits against them for over $50m+ 

4 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

The only two schools desperate enough and with enough money to be eastern outliers in a MWC 3.0 are SMU and Tulane. 

Even still, I don’t think it happens.

You would think they would both hold off for a possible ACC invite in the next 2 to 3 years

With the added travel costs with the cross-nation conferences, I'm starting to wonder if a good solution would be to let football and maybe basketball stand on their own while having sub-"conferences" that are more regional for all the other sports. I just don't know how this cross-nation model is going to be sustainable in the long run for sports other than football or basketball. Maybe I'm underestimating the $'s the conference affiliations are going to bring into the schools, but with most schools only balancing budgets with the student tax I just don't see how schools will be able to fund the cross-nation model for long.

• Upvote 4

On 8/4/2023 at 11:52 PM, GrayEagle said:

I'd hate to lose Rice, Tulane, and SMU (there I said it) but that's their decisions.

I understand why losing SMU would bother a Mean Green fan.  But I don’t get the affinity for Rice and Tulane?  Why do you hate losing them?  It is unfortunate overall but I think the days of smaller private universities playing above FCS will be over by 2032 or shortly after.  So any FBS private university program not in a P5 conference today will be operating at huge disadvantage.  The private schools named for their city or region have a better shot of making it because they gain regional support easier.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2