2023 TBT Games - Bleed Green [Official thread]

Great game, great win.  It's good to be green.

Andre Shaw got a lot of props for coaching this team and being elevated to an assistant at UNT.

Even Lou Ann got camera time and a mention of following North Texas teams wherever they go since 1988.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

2023 TBT FINAL FOUR
DATE: Wednesday August 2, 2023
BROADCAST: ESPN (both games)

GAME 1: (2) Team Heartfire vs (4) Herd That (Marshall), Tipoff 6PM CT
GAME 2: 
(2) Friday Beers vs Bleed Green (North Texas), Tipoff 8PM CT

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Opponent: Friday Beers

They have played on 7/26, 7/28, 7/29, and 7/31.  Our last game prior to last night was 7/23.  We should be more rested but they are a deeper team with twelve players.  We need to get out fast again and play with the lead all game.  Wish we were playing them on Friday.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

2023 TBT FINAL FOUR
DATE: Wednesday August 2, 2023
BROADCAST: ESPN (both games)

GAME 1: (2) Team Heartfire vs (4) Herd That (Marshall), Tipoff 6PM CT
GAME 2: 
(2) Friday Beers vs Bleed Green (North Texas), Tipoff 8PM CT

National prime time ESPN media for the program in early August, before any pro or college football starts!  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Like it or not we are becoming a basketball school….

Wish we'd really go all in on all basketball fronts. Being the best basketball program in Texas in one of the biggest markets in the country will keep us in the mix when the next big round of realignments kicks off. The ACC will have movement sometime in the next 5 years. Clemson and FSU football aside, their biggest brands are in basketball. We'd bring an important market without lowering the quality of basketball. I think our AD realizes that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Wish we'd really go all in on all basketball fronts. Being the best basketball program in Texas in one of the biggest markets in the country will keep us in the mix when the next big round of realignments kicks off. The ACC will have movement sometime in the next 5 years. Clemson and FSU football aside, their biggest brands are in basketball. We'd bring an important market without lowering the quality of basketball. I think our AD realizes that. 

Agree, but I wish we had a baseball program a long time ago. We are missing out on some much talent around the DFW area. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Agree, but I wish had a baseball program a long time ago. We are missing out on some much talent around the DFW area. 

I agree with you from a fan perspective. I don't think it'll happen unless UNT can at least break even on it. UNT hasn't raised tuition since 2016 and prides itself in such. I've been seeing calls for UNT to raise their student employees' hourly wage consistent with increases other indutries have seen. I don't think it would be well received in this economy to start up a baseball program while keeping student employee wages so low as doing so would probably require an increase in the athletic fee.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We are making great strides in Men's Basketball, but it alone won't get us into a P5 conference, ask UConn.   Football (wins), media market, school enrollment, athletic facilities, well-rounded athletic programs (inc. baseball), and more athletic attendance are the boxes we need to check-off if we want to move up further.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

We are making great strides in Men's Basketball, but it alone won't get us into a P5 conference, ask UConn.   Football (wins), media market, school enrollment, athletic facilities, well-rounded athletic programs (inc. baseball), and more athletic attendance are the boxes we need to check-off if we want to move up further.

UCONN has the 30th ranked TV market. We have the 5th. We aren't the same. Even then, they're getting BIG12 attention. There's two of the remaining four big conference (not counting PAC right now) that need a Texas market - the BIG10 and the ACC. I think the BIG10 isn't interested in any of the available Texas programs right now but I can see the ACC sniffing around when they lose FSU and Clemson. Coincidently, the BIG10 and ACC already have a lot of presence in the northeast even if they don't technically have the Hartford market. I think UCONN's issue is they're jumping in this too late. Their geographical area is covered by the two conferences that make the most sense. The SEC isn't interested so that really only leave the BIG12 right now. We have a lot to offer the ACC if we can keep raising our profile in basketball. A top 25 basketball program in the 5th largest TV market in the country will not be left out when the dust settles a bit in the next 10 years.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

UCONN has the 30th ranked TV market. We have the 5th. We aren't the same. Even then, they're getting BIG12 attention. There's two of the remaining four big conference (not counting PAC right now) that need a Texas market - the BIG10 and the ACC. I think the BIG10 isn't interested in any of the available Texas programs right now but I can see the ACC sniffing around when they lose FSU and Clemson. Coincidently, the BIG10 and ACC already have a lot of presence in the northeast even if they don't technically have the Hartford market. I think UCONN's issue is they're jumping in this too late. Their geographical area is covered by the two conferences that make the most sense. The SEC isn't interested so that really only leave the BIG12 right now. We have a lot to offer the ACC if we can keep raising our profile in basketball. A top 25 basketball program in the 5th largest TV market in the country will not be left out when the dust settles a bit in the next 10 years.

UCONN is only getting some Big12 attention because of their 5 National Championships in basketball and their location in the NE.  Gonzaga has also been named.  But UCONN's lousy football keeps being mentioned as the reason they won't get serious consideration as a full member, perhaps basketball-only.   Basketball alone won't get us to the next level.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1