Texas Minor League Roadtrip

Hey there! I am planning on bringing my dad down to Texas during early August when I return for college. Are there any baseball stadiums in Texas that aren't in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by miles of asphalt parking? I am trying to find a cultured environment to take my dad to instead of just some boring atmosphere. Does Texas have any stadiums located within relatively entertaining or human friendly areas? Thanks

• Eye Roll 3

If you're confused of what I mean, the first picture is representative of what 90 percent of MILB stadiums look like across America... Mix used, well integrated within a neighborhood, plentiful of activities, vibrant atmosphere, etc... The second photo is what minor league stadiums in Texas look like... That's the largest city in Texas btw

ScreenShot2023-07-16at9_57_56PM.png.a5a989146986940967ee85e496693124.pngScreenShot2023-07-16at10_02_51PM.png.5d7e138d5724bbdffe4bef4759370800.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 9.56.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 9.58.42 PM.png

Edited by rojomojo
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Hey there! I am planning on bringing my dad down to Texas during early August when I return for college. Are there any baseball stadiums in Texas that aren't in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by miles of asphalt parking? I am trying to find a cultured environment to take my dad to instead of just some boring atmosphere. Does Texas have any stadiums located within relatively entertaining or human friendly areas? Thanks

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but there's tons to do within a 5 min drive of the Frisco Roughriders ballpark. 

• Upvote 2

First, 

14 hours ago, rojomojo said:

If you're confused of what I mean, the first picture is representative of what 90 percent of MILB stadiums look like across America... Mix used, well integrated within a neighborhood, plentiful of activities, vibrant atmosphere, etc... The second photo is what minor league stadiums in Texas look like... That's the largest city in Texas btw

ScreenShot2023-07-16at9_57_56PM.png.a5a989146986940967ee85e496693124.pngScreenShot2023-07-16at10_02_51PM.png.5d7e138d5724bbdffe4bef4759370800.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 9.56.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 9.58.42 PM.png

First, the second picture of Nelson W. Wolff Stadium is not in Texas' largest city, Houston, but in San Antonio.  It was built by the city back in '94.  The third photo is not in Texas, but in Memphis, TN.

As noted above, there is quite a bit to do around Riders' Field in Frisco. 

The area around Momentum Bank Ballpark, Midland Rockhounds', is being developed with hotels, restaurants and more fields for the citizens of Midland.

Southwest University Stadium, El Paso Chihuahua's, is located in downtown El Paso with places to stay, eat and visit.

Hodgetown Stadium, Amarillo Sod Poodles, is located in downtown Amarillo.  It is not far from hotels and restaurants.

Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi is a couple of blocks from the Gulf located on a waterway.  There are bars and eating establishments nearby, a wate park, the Texas State Aquarium, USS Lexington and about a mile from downtown.

You want a real experience, drive to Alpine and visit Kokernot Field, designed after Wrigley Field and located in the heart of Alpine.

Sorry this aren't stuck right in the middle of neighborhoods and do require parking for the vehicles that bring the fans to the stadiums to watch each team, but there are things to do close by.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

back when I was young the El Paso Diablos at the time was a double aa team.  They were in the Texas league with Midland, Tulsa, San Antonio, Little Rock and Alexandria, La. That was hundred years ago and not sure if there are baseball still in some of those towns.

Minor league does pretty good in El Paso.  I think the franchise is still there, but they rebranded and are no longer the "Diablos".

Those late 1980s/early 1990s teams were BANGING.  I'll think of the promotions guy in a second - he went on to AD at NMSU - was a genius.  One of the best atmospheres in all of minor league.

Was this the incredible Dudley Dome? 

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

back when I was young the El Paso Diablos at the time was a double aa team.  They were in the Texas league with Midland, Tulsa, San Antonio, Little Rock and Alexandria, La. That was hundred years ago and not sure if there are baseball still in some of those towns.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Minor league does pretty good in El Paso.  I think the franchise is still there, but they rebranded and are no longer the "Diablos".

Those late 1980s/early 1990s teams were BANGING.  I'll think of the promotions guy in a second - he went on to AD at NMSU - was a genius.  One of the best atmospheres in all of minor league.

Jim Paul ran the show and promotions, and Paul Strelzin was the PA guy.

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Jim Paul ran the show and promotions, and Paul Strelzin was the PA guy.

bingo! thanks.

Strelzin was THE VOICE of choice if you were an El Paso sports fan.  He would also go on to be the PA guy at the Buzzards hockey games.

I digress, Jim Paul was a promotions guru.  It didn't hurt that the Diablos were winning a lot.

I miss those nights of 0.25 hot dogs.  4 hot dogs for a freakin dollar!

• Lovely Take 1

I always remember when a lost child was lost and he make the announcement  If the child is not pick up they will be given at the next game.   He made the games interesting.  that if they hit homer to center field he make a comment about Mona the elephant getting hit at the zoo.

I got tossed from the stands one time on 25 cent beer night.  I started building a pyramid with empty beer cups and people were sending from out the bleacher to ad to the awesome creation was building  When I turn to get more cups a guy throw his beer and knock it down and the fans booed him.  The officer made leave the building.  Had a lot of fun at the Dudley Dome.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

19 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Still is in all of those except Alexandria. The Shreveport Captains moved on at some point and then New Orleans did right before covid. I do not believe there is any minor league baseball being played in Louisiana these days, despite their flagship university winning the collegiate world series. 

• 3 weeks later...

I take back everything I said regarding the Frisco Roughriders. Went to a game recently and the development surrounding the stadium has really helped enlighten activity around the environment. The atmosphere felt very progressive when speaking in terms of sporting environments across the U.S. 

Hoping we see similar lifestyle development continue to pop up around Global Life Field. 

• Eye Roll 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, rojomojo said:

I take back everything I said regarding the Frisco Roughriders. Went to a game recently and the development surrounding the stadium has really helped enlighten activity around the environment. The atmosphere felt very progressive when speaking in terms of sporting environments across the U.S. 

Hoping we see similar lifestyle development continue to pop up around Global Life Field. 

The surrounding apartments keep that thing moderately full.  The Riders frequently give away tickets to the complexes to give their residents. It keeps butts in seats and helps sell a few hot dogs sold in the blistering summer months.

Not sure how sporting venues become "progressive" though.  If you mean "stadiums built in denser urban areas with public tax dollars" then I guess I understand what you're getting at.

Minor league parks can easily become public funding boondoggles.  There's far too many examples of cities funding minor league baseball stadiums and the team shutting down or moving.  Maybe they drive surrounding development and hotel and sales tax revenues, but maybe cows can fly too.  Frisco would have still been Frisco with or without the investment.

That being said, it's one of the best minor league parks you'll ever come across!  Thursday nights are $2 beers in the outfield.