North Texas logo is gone?

35 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Why in the world would you get rid of "North Texas" and stick with UNT?   

I read articles all the time that state: “North Texas man accused of…” or

”Former North Texas man…”

I also see local youth sports team called:  North Texas Fury, or North Texas Renegades, etc  

Instead of trying to explain the nuance of the North Texas part, they seem to want to move on from it. I think it’s a solid move to lean into the Mean Green and the diving eagle. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

To hide the negatve stigma of being a directional school behind an acronym. Pretty simple. 

UCF refuses to be called Central Florida.  It's important to their sports brand and has served them fairly well I'd say.  I've said it before, but I've never liked seeing N Texas, Nor Tex, North Tex or, worst, No Texas on the banners on the bottom of screens as the scores roll by.  For some reason TV people always feel compelled to abbreviate North Texas.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Why in the world would you get rid of "North Texas" and stick with UNT?   

Because it’s another leadership group wanting to put their stamp on the university. They couldn’t care less that it’s abandoning decades of established branding and tradition. What pisses me off about is the total lack of communication from the University and Athletic Department. We’ve been trending towards this change for 4-5 years and there hasn’t been one official announcement. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Terrible idea.  WE ARE "NORTH TEXAS"!   Have been for over 100 years!   

I didn't graduate from UNT, and never use it to say where I went to college. 

Southern Cal, Southern Miss, East Carolina, South Florida, etc all have no issues with direction in their name.

Add Florida Atlantic to that list. They just announced they’re dropping FAU from athletics branding and only using the Owl logo, Florida state outline, and Florida Atlantic. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't fully understand this thought.  Think about the next time you see an acronym on TV that you are unfamiliar with.  it takes 10 seconds for the curious mind to pull up the phone and google it.

I think the acronym is great, I think the script North Texas is great, but I don't feel like we have some obligation to educate the uninformed.  But maybe there is some benefit I'm not thinking of.

You missed his great RV sarcasm.  It took RV 10 years to finally agree to just a SOW logo on our helmets instead of school name.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

5 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I also see local youth sports team called:  North Texas Fury, or North Texas Renegades, etc  

Hedlund has talked about this for years. He says that when he wears “North Texas” prospects and their families tend to ask him what club team he coaches, but people know who UNT is.

As someone who lives in Denton, my experience is that people generally say UNT. Outside of Athletics, I just don’t think most people say North Texas.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't feel like we have some obligation to educate the uninformed.

I would actually argue that this is exactly what Marketing is there to do. I just want them to pick, stick with, and fully market whatever they decide on. We have spent too much time putting out twenty shades of green and trying to decide who we are. At this point I just want consistency and a full court press on brand awareness.

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

33 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

If your talking college athletics and were asked.......'Where did you go to school?'....... reply would be 'North Texas'.

What is another reply??

Apparently they want us to start saying 'UNT'

Why can't we drop the 'U and just be 'NT'?.. like Notre Dame is not usually denoted UND, it is simply 'ND'

Is it Houston or UH?

Memphis or UM?

Texas Tech or TTU?

Baylor or BU?

Penn State or PSU?

Name or initials?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

12 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Hedlund has talked about this for years. He says that when he wears “North Texas” prospects and their families tend to ask him what club team he coaches, but people know who UNT is.

As someone who lives in Denton, my experience is that people generally say UNT. Outside of Athletics, I just don’t think most people say North Texas.

I would actually argue that this is exactly what Marketing is there to do. I just want them to pick, stick with, and fully market whatever they decide on. We have spent too much time putting out twenty shades of green and trying to decide who we are. At this point I just want consistency and a full court press on brand awareness.

I would say the initials UNT are known Regionally but not Nationally.  I suspect Marketing or whoever made this decision promoting UNT is trying to increase the National recognition of it, like UCF.  My question is why?   Is UNT really better than North Texas on a National level?    

• Eye Roll 1

I think of it like this:  if you market “North Texas,” nobody knows what UNT is, but if you market “UNT,”people are getting the visual “UNT” as well as the understood North Texas.

For example, when I see UCF, I think Central Florida, not UCF.  There are obviously example of schools who are known by their initials (UCLA, UNLV, smu) but by and large the initials make you think of the college.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1