Pre Game Eagle Flying

Big Z

The bald eagle, being the National Bird, is protected by a federal law.  You cannot own one but in certain situations you can house one and have one perform at pregame situations.  The only college team that has that permission is Auburn.  They keep the eagle (which they do not own) at the College of Veterinary Science and it was performing at the pregame ceremonies.  I say was because the SEC issued a ban on live animal performances at games.  The law of eagle possession applies to the golden eagle as well as the bald eagle.  Scrappy is a bald eagle and is what we would want to use as a mascot.

In the 1950s North Texas used a sea eagle which was kept in a cage at the games on the track.  It did not leave the cage.  In 1956 I had the responsibility to hook the trailer up and drive to the zoo in Fort Worth and pick up "Scrappy" and drive him to the game.  He stayed in front of the fraternity house at 1406 W. Hickory.  The next day I would return him to Forest Park Zoo.  He looked like a golden eagle but he was actually a sea eagle; thus not protected by the wildlife protection act.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 5

It did happen previously.

It didn’t make much of an impact on the crowd, nice, but wasn’t spectacular. The bird just wasn’t all that visible. Maybe there could be a better coordinated production at this stadium.

(Or maybe Scrappy could take a flying leap out of a helicopter !).  GMG