Who are our biggest future AAC rivals?

Jonnyeagle

Who are our biggest future AAC rivals?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who are our biggest future AAC rivals?

Sadly I picked nutsak.  I don't see schmoo sticking around long or I would've picked them.  Obviously.

In basketball it would be great to become rivals with Tulsa and Memphis.  That would mean that we're still winning a lot of games and in the hunt for the conference championship more often than not.  

• Upvote 5

I picked Memphis, but Tulsa would be a close second. When we lost 5 games (plus 1 tie) over three years 66-67-68, three of the losses were to Memphis. I know that predates a lot of fans here, but SMU is trying to leave AAC and even UTSA's coach is not optimistic about their long-term success. as they are seriously financially stretched. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, rws69 said:

I picked Memphis, but Tulsa would be a close second. When we lost 5 games (plus 1 tie) over three years 66-67-68, three of the losses were to Memphis. I know that predates a lot of fans here, but SMU is trying to leave AAC and even UTSA's coach is not optimistic about their long-term success. as they are seriously financially stretched. 

Gotdang I love that take!  I picked SMU because I want us to pursue that rivalry as long as we can.  It’s just great for CFB in the metroplex.  That said I can’t argue with your take and I love the deep historic element and I’m so grateful we are back to finally being on stage with some of these old Gulf/MVC/Metro conference foes who we should have been playing with this whole damn time.  It’s a great time to be an Eagle! 

• Upvote 2

On 4/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, MGNation92 said:

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face:

Until we become even remotely competitive with SMU, UTSA is our rival.

It's not about success, it's about HATE.   Smut is #1 on the list...even if they join the WAC. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

At this moment, there's no way to know who our rival will be.  Rivals need shared history, and something from the 1900s doesn't count.  3-4 years of one team screwing up another's season, and we'll have a rivalry.

Besides, the AAC feels like it's headed toward CUSA 4.0, and I strongly doubt the teams will be the same in a decade.  

• Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1