UTA Student Football Referendum Passes

The referendum asked if students support an “expansion to the Department of Athletics,” which would increase the Intercollegiate Athletics fee up to $250, which is $18.50 per credit hour, a semester, to partially fund a football team and expand women’s sports programs. The fee is currently $8.50 per credit hour, with a maximum of $115.

https://www.theshorthorn.com/news/students-alumni-react-as-football-referendum-passes-in-student-government-election/article_1a300f78-d361-11ed-bee5-d3b0c3a1d668.html

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

So we're going to have 13 FBS in TX with a possible 5 more coming if WAC moves up? Crowded field.

UTEP, Tech, UNT, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UT, A&M, UTSA, Tx St, SHSU, Houston, Rice and possibly UTA, SFA, UTRGV, ACU & Tarleton.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, MDH said:

So we're going to have 13 FBS in TX with a possible 5 more coming if WAC moves up? Crowded field.

UTEP, Tech, UNT, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UT, A&M, UTSA, Tx St, SHSU, Houston, Rice and possibly UTA, SFA, UTRGV, ACU & Tarleton.

Not to mention the rapidly rising costs of running an FBS program, with coaching salaries in the millions, ridiculous facilities, and now paying players.  All as people are beginning to decide a college education is not the end-all-be-all we thought it was, at least not for what they are now charging students.  This is all fixing to implode soon.

• Upvote 4

On 4/7/2023 at 10:39 PM, MCMLXXX said:

The referendum asked if students support an “expansion to the Department of Athletics,” which would increase the Intercollegiate Athletics fee up to $250, which is $18.50 per credit hour, a semester, to partially fund a football team and expand women’s sports programs. The fee is currently $8.50 per credit hour, with a maximum of $115.

https://www.theshorthorn.com/news/students-alumni-react-as-football-referendum-passes-in-student-government-election/article_1a300f78-d361-11ed-bee5-d3b0c3a1d668.html

Does anyone know where our is in comparison to the $115 they are asking for?

• Upvote 2

What took them so long?  I figured this 
day would come.  UTA has access to AT&T Stadium, a Major League Baseball stadium nearby & on & on.

Many of us on GMG were at the Grand Opening of their Maverick Stadium in 1980 with the Mean Green winning that game.  

I used to say  something about another “UT” system school  starting up football, but last time I did I had to eat a lot of crow. 

Fasten your seatbelts, Denton & fellow UNT alums…

920121C7-B2AB-4FF7-82B6-09DC4CCD044C.jpeg.61af21fe2497ba6e7550b085ad15d89b.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I know they have that dump Maverick Stadium, but if this were to follow through, I'd guess they'd play at Choctaw Stadium.

1,600 students is a pitiful turnout for a campus of nearly 40,000. I doubt this plane ever gets off the ground.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

I may be in the minority but I oppose this... UTA is a sleeping giant with their student population and I fear they could rival UNT in the future and take away from our potential market...

We played them several times in the 70's and early 80's, and came out 6-2.  We blame many of our difficulties on the fact that we dropped down to 1-AA for a little over a decade.  If that's the case, how much more is it for UTA, who dropped football altogether for about 40 years?  If we're afraid of UTA, we have no business being an FBS team.

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

We played them several times in the 70's and early 80's, and came out 6-2.  We blame many of our difficulties on the fact that we dropped down to 1-AA for a little over a decade.  If that's the case, how much more is it for UTA, who dropped football altogether for about 40 years?  If we're afraid of UTA, we have no business being an FBS team.

I never understood why UT system lets some of their schools play football and not others.  Seems like they could take some of the budget from UTSA and UTEP to allow UTA to field a team.  If I were UTA I would demand it!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I never understood why UT system lets some of their schools play football and not others.  Seems like they could take some of the budget from UTSA and UTEP to allow UTA to field a team.  If I were UTA I would demand it!

I don't think that decision was ever made by the UT system.

• Upvote 3

When UT-RGV starts football this fall I can think of only 3 UT branches that will not be playing football.  I believe that only UTArlington, UTDallas and UTTyler are the only ones left who do not participate.  UTA is the largest campus of all the UT branches so it is proper that they pick up their discontinued program.  I suppose that my biggest regret is that we have had a large amount of recruits from Arlington.  However, with our recruiters and the WAC being a much weaker conference, we should still do quite well.