Sports Journalism - Why is tampering a taboo subject?

El Paso Eagle

I understand that the world of the portal is here to stay, and that's fine. Once you're in the portal, all is fair, but why are no sports journalists doing stories on tampering with college players, not in the portal? It seems everyone is worried that if they discuss it, they will be blacklisted. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I understand that the world of the portal is here to stay, and that's fine. Once you're in the portal, all is fair, but why are no sports journalists doing stories on tampering with college players, not in the portal? It seems everyone is worried that if they discuss it, they will be blacklisted. 

Last sentence says it all.

It has turned into the most wild west version if free agency possible. The only restriction is the 85 limit (which some still find a way around) and that you can’t switch teams midseason. That is it. I think the only way they could fix it now that the genie is out of the bottle is to require some sort of compensation from the new team to the former team.

For the last ten or so years we have had the weakest/worst president of the NCAA.  Mark Emmert had no backbone to run a clean operation.  The Big 10 and the SEC (especially the Big 10) commissioners called the shots.  In my opinion they have made a violation of the anti-trust laws.  If you don't have the money to run with the big dogs you are out in the cold.  There should be a limit on the NIL amount and there should be a penalty for tampering.  I don't notice this happening in basketball.  Basketball makes money but not to the extent that football does.  The only Olympic sport that does does tampering that I recall is women's softball.  The Big Money teams feel free to rob the lesser teams of their best talent.  I have serious doubts that the new president, the ex-Governor of Massachusetts, will do any better and things will continue to get out of hand.  

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just thinking about Beat Writers, you don't want to burn bridges with your coach.

It's not just P5s doing this.

Sadly it's true. You hear people, ESPN talking heads, for example, who seem not to agree with some issues and are scared to speak up since they are obviously worried about being cut off or canceled.