AAC commissioner Mike Aresco again wants to abolish the Power 5/Group of 5 divide

Greenrex

3 hours ago, Greenrex said:

In the wake of the more recent conference realignments and the upcoming expansion of the College Football Playoff to a 12-team format, Aresco has been increasingly bothered by the continued separation of P5 and G5 programs within the public discourse.

I totally agree with him.  Especially with realignments in the news so much.  When programs get moveups and become so-called P5s, what changed with them?  Nothing.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

And I think this points to where the buck actually stops with the issues with FBS football.  Our government has abdicated its responsibility to hold these programs representing public institutions accountable. Because either of these endeavors are for-profit and completely private funded and just tacitly associated with the school via sharing trademark/brand, or they are a part of the university.   That’s where the dissolution of CFA the college football alliance was definitively shortsighted and in my opinion, misguided.   Anyone with a sage legal mind should have seen this coming.  

The future existence, a College Football is secured. As long as young people want to play the sport and people want to watch the sport it with evolve and continue.  Money is a consideration for every endeavor we partake in, but it can’t be the primary focus of everything partake in.  The government should immediately put legislation forward limiting the number of universities that can collude together financially to the exclusion of all other universities that play football at the DI level.  We already have antitrust laws in place governing the private sector, so the legal background is already there.  When we lose things like our flagship state universities, representing the systems of A&M, UT- Austin, and Tech playing each other regularly, it is the fault of government as much as it is the leaders at these schools, probably more so probably more so.   

These universities serve the public, not just corporate interest.  Because all these media outlets are not going, broke or shutting down because if there is no college football.  

You can’t treat FBS football like it is just a TV show that was just recently created for national TV and get the best results.  And by a large they are trying to remove the “college” and the communities they serve from football.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the situation, I'd rather have Mike Aresco in our corner than any other.  The old P6 came from when they were the Big East Conference and the basketball teams were in the highest group.  So, it was legitimate in that sense.  I won't see it in my lifetime but Mike will come up with something to either do away with the sub-class or get the American included.  Maybe we'll also become an elite basketball conference.  The other possibility is get the football programs up to what Houston, Cincinnati and UCF were able to do.  I'm hoping that we have found the formula...good facilities, good coaches, good recruiters.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2