UNT's Swag Game?

Side.Show.Joe

I often speak with kids that take recruiting visits to universities. They generally come back with free swag, which ranges from stickers to t-shirts... to nice pullover shirts and polos. Today I saw a nice TCU pullover shirt with a zip-up collar. I was informed by the kid that he also received a t-shirt, stickers and water bottle on that TCU visit too. I'm just wondering how strong is our recruiting swag game?

For the record, one of these recruits was a football player, one boy runs track, and two were softball players. All four have been on several visits and also taken official visits. I asked these recruits if the quality of swag influenced their opinion of the programs that invited them for visits, and all 4 said "Yes, the quality of the swag was a strong influence on their opinion of how serious that program was about supporting their sports". I polled these kids and asked if there was an item they wish they were given on these trips, and there was a clear winner. All 4 said "pullover hoodies promoting their sport". None of them were given hoodies. One kid told me he'd wear it every day if he got one on a visit. Which makes sense. Most kids in high school wear hoodies on a daily basis. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

I don't know how strong it is now but I'd bet that the recruiters on this staff know how to play the game as does Coach Morris.  It's a selling point, I'm sure because I see pictures of recruits at most of the schools with gear from the school that they visited and I have doubts that they purchased them.

Yes, offering a good education, room, board and stipends is not enough.  No wonder so many athletes have a hard time when they hit the real world, were few care about your past sports exploits. 

NT and every other school have to recruit in this world, but when does it become too much.  Being that NT and most schools athletics are heavily supported by students fees, there has to be limits at some point. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, offering a good education, room, board and stipends is not enough.  No wonder so many athletes have a hard time when they hit the real world, were few care about your past sports exploits. 

NT and every other school have to recruit in this world, but when does it become too much.  Being that NT and most schools athletics are heavily supported by students fees, there has to be limits at some point. 

I’m sure there is room in the budget to pay for a some shirts and a few stickers. Besides having these young and desirable players seen wearing green- even if they don’t end up in Denton, is not a bad thing.

• Upvote 3

Well if it is in the budget, it must be ok.  I was not trying to criticize NT or any other school for their recruiting.   I was just attempting to point out how stupid it has gotten. 

Also, I don't think gifts can be given recruits on school visits per NCAA rules.   My guess is that any "swag, (I hate that word)" is limited to the normal handouts that any potential student would receive.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:31 AM, NTSU52 said:

I’m sure there is room in the budget to pay for a some shirts and a few stickers. Besides having these young and desirable players seen wearing green- even if they don’t end up in Denton, is not a bad thing.

^This. I see a few kids regularly wearing North Texas shirts. In my opinion this is about the best cost-effective marketing strategy for our athletic department. And, the recruits love this stuff.

When our coaches visit with a recruit at his high school, they should be handing him a free Mean Green t-shirt. And when we get those kids on campus meeting with our coaches, and touring of our facilities, they should be handed a hoodie, sunglasses, & stickers for their car and phone.

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:10 AM, GrandGreen said:

Hey let’s role back what coaches make more in line what department heads, deans and professors make.   I think they is a part in us all that realizes how ridiculous it has gotten.  But this all started with the dissolution of CFA allowing college sports programs and conferences to operate like businesses. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Hey let’s role back what coaches make more in line what department heads, deans and professors make.   I think they is a part in us all that realizes how ridiculous it has gotten.  But this all started with the dissolution of CFA allowing college sports programs and conferences to operate like businesses. 

I don't like the business analogy.   Athletics are mostly financed with someone's else's money be it donations or forced student fees.   College athletic teams for the vast majority can continue to be unsuccessful and not only still exist; but are able to spend even more money.  

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't like the business analogy.   Athletics are mostly financed with someone's else's money be it donations or forced student fees.   College athletic teams for the vast majority can continue to be unsuccessful and not only still exist; but are able to spend even more money.  

It isn't an analogy it's the truth, plenty of businesses in the US are subsidized by tax payer money.  A healthy number of NFL and NBA stadiums are financed with local taxes and fees not directly related to stadium or stadium events.  It's no coincidence that the programs that could theorically operate without using student fees are the ones most active in these lastest rounds capatilistist conference realignment.  The fallout of moves by Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, and Texas A&M have caused all the other moves.  If these schools did not have so much independent market power we still have geographically regional conferences.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:10 AM, GrandGreen said:

You'd think. But people clearly think that lining the pockets of 18 year olds with thousands of dollars (millions in some cases) is a good idea. People also think that this has no impact on them. People don't take into consideration the trickle this will start to dictate. Universities will start dictating more money. Conferences will start dictating bigger TV revenue. TV platforms (streaming and otherwise) will start to dictate more money from our pockets. But, whatever. A healthy  correction will take place. 

On 2/16/2023 at 6:10 AM, GrandGreen said:

were few care about your past sports exploits. 

The truth is many of these schools, let's use SMU for example, only care about many of these kids because they can play a sport. In most cases, the true meaning of Student-Athlete is long gone. Looks at all transfers that switch three times or more; are they ever getting degrees? If you have to have a minimum number of hours at a school, how are they getting them?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

It isn't an analogy it's the truth, plenty of businesses in the US are subsidized by tax payer money.  A healthy number of NFL and NBA stadiums are financed with local taxes and fees not directly related to stadium or stadium events.  It's no coincidence that the programs that could theorically operate without using student fees are the ones most active in these lastest rounds capatilistist conference realignment.  The fallout of moves by Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, and Texas A&M have caused all the other moves.  If these schools did not have so much independent market power we still have geographically regional conferences.

It matters what your definition of business's is.  Mine, does not include non-profits.

Yes, there have been many times that the USA has bailed out failed businesses such as the auto manufacturers at one time.  However, that was at least sold as being in the public good.  

You can make an easy case that just about everything is funded to some extent with government money or debt.  Medicare, social security, hospitals, schools, etc. 

The few schools, now mostly nestled in the SEC, that have to look at a way to spend money are the outers in college athletics.   These schools are also not much like businesses.  College presidents and boards of power schools are there to facilitate those teams' success more than to limit their excesses.  If a team doesn't win then they will change management, but they put as few obstacles in the way of winning as possible 

Edited by GrandGreen