Logo Hierarchy?

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Is North Texas = Southern Cal? 

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Does SoCal struggle with recognition and branding? 

No Way GIF

It is not one and the same. 

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that isn’t your argument. They are recognized because they win and have that history. We just need to win and people will remember our name whether it is UNT, NT, or North Texas. Just get rid of the North Texas State throw back sweatshirt that SL always wore. I liked it but it creates confusion to the casual fan. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Exactly. The local heads that only leave the North Texas region (if ever) to go to Destin in the summer or skiing in NM in the winter (if that) have no idea of how bad the branding outside of this bubble actually is. 

I've truly had people ask me "where" when I've said North Texas in the past. As in, where in North Texas. Since, and for running years, I only ever say UNT. That basic 'U' in front of the NT creates legitimacy. 

Hey shout out Destin, I'm from around those parts. Its hard to find anyone out here who knows of UNT even when tourist come.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We need to drop the North Texas charade. Every respectable directional school or elongated name uses acronyms. UCF, SMU, FAU, ECU, UTEP, USC, etc. 

MAC directional schools and FCS say the entire name for recognition. Eastern Wash, Northern Arizona, all of the MACs, North Dak St, etc. 

We are UNT. North Texas is the region in which UNT sits. Don't worry, we can still do our North - Texas chant at games. 

But then you would have to change your username to GMG!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Uniforms anyone?

Just pick something and stick with it. Directional schools are not just identified by their initials. USC also goes by Southern Cal without issue. I haven’t lived in the DFW area for almost twenty years and when people ask me where I attended I always answer North Texas. Nobody has ever questioned that. I never refer to us as UNT and it has never been an issue. It isn’t that I don’t care for UNT, but North Texas just rolls off the tongue.

The biggest mistake, IMHO, we ever made was going away from the Fry era eagle and the apple/dark green combo. It was unique, still is, and the color scheme stood out as something different. Besides being a great coach, Fry was a marketing genius. We have lacked that since he left. It is like we are afraid to think outside the box and that is what is needed. Be bold, embrace it and stick with it. 

As someone else pointed out and I find it funny, but someone with UNT in their name stating that we should use North Texas while someone with North Texas in their name stating we should roll with UNT. It's as if we don't know what we want as much as the university. Hence the major problem with branding status quo. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The first line of OUR fight song is...

Let's give a cheer for U of NT!

https://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2016/06/26/fight-north-texas/

The lyrics to the new song, called “Fight, North Texas,” were:

Let’s give a Cheer for North Texas State,

Cheer for the Green and White.

Victory’s in store but what e’er the score.

Our men will ever FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT.

Shoulder to shoulder, they march along,

Playing the game for the honor and fame

Of North Texas State and you.

FIGHT,

Men with a purpose true

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keith said:

New coach, new era...time for a rebranding of our football program.  Using UCF as a model, I'd like to see us go with and use UNT over North Texas.  I know this is somewhat controversial, but I'm tired of seeing multiple representations (North Texas, N. Texas, North Tex., Nor. Texas or the worst No Texas in all the sports tickers) of our school. Talk about destroying your brand.  Yes, there are examples of universities that have been able to overcome their directional name, but to the great unwashed we are no different than Southern New Hampshire.  UCF has avoided it completely.  The younger generation usually refers to UNT as the school they go/went to.  We should embrace that.

While we are at it, we need to get rid of the awful eagle feathers helmet logo or any logo that utilizes an outline/map of the state.  Put a little Texas outline on the back or something, but not as part of the primary logo.  It reeks of desperation.

I believe this is just overthinking it.   We just need to same helmet logo except for a ONCE A YEAR throw back uniform event.   Let current students and season ticket holders vote on it.   Whatever we do logo and primary colors needs to be consistent.  And while I really like the black helmets they need to be retired.  In general black used as anything but an accent color needs to go away for a 10-20 years minimum.  I stress, that  I like how black looks but for brand recognition it is terrible.  When we have that brand recognition and association with winning football we can play with black again. Also I believe they should tinker try green on helmet face masks and green/black chin straps (I think there maybe rules on chin straps preventing that, there isn’t an excuse for not trying green face masks)

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Glory to the Green and White

Singing glory to the green,
Singing glory to the white,
For we know our university
Is striving for the right.
Down the corridor of years
We’ll forget the joys and tears,
But North Texas, North Texas, we love!

That's as clear as it gets.   No abbreviated UNT in there!

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

How did you take that from my comment?

Not to answer for @NorthTexasWeLove, but I took his reply as kind of self deprecating humor.  I thought it was funny.

I tend to be a North Texas guy, but I don’t mind UNT.  I just prefer we wear green and white.

As far as merchandise goes, I just made a pretty good haul at Rally House Frisco and online.  I didn’t realize there was a Rally House inside Stonebriar.  Based on the “Pick up in store” option online, they would seem to have a good selection of North Texas/UNT gear.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

As someone else pointed out and I find it funny, but someone with UNT in their name stating that we should use North Texas while someone with North Texas in their name stating we should roll with UNT. It's as if we don't know what we want as much as the university. Hence the major problem with branding status quo. 

At least I have only stuck to one username. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

IMO, UNT should have dropped the regional designation of "North" and re-named the university to Texas State University.  Well, we sat around with our thumbs up our as$#$ and Southwest Texas State University did the right thing.  UNT is truly its own worst enemy.

Texas State exist only in movies and commercials for virtually everyone who doesn’t live near it or have a connection to it. Our university’s location in our states largest media market is unique.  “Texas State” doesn’t reference that at all.  Moreover if we had held on to state a dropped North,  it (north) would have lingered anyway as we would geographically be the north campus of a “State University”  system even though we would be the flagship campus.   And our “A&M” system is already the equivalent to the  "State" system in most states.   Then you have other institutions in our state and Tennessee using the "TSU" Acronym

TSU - Texas Southern U (played them this year and  tsu.edu is them not the pretenders of Southwest)

TSU - Tennessee State University in Nashville.

So changing our name to Texas State wasn't the slam dunk positive marketing move you dream that it could have been.  Unless it was done right before the movie Necessary Roughness was released.  But that would have looked pathetic in my book.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

IMO, UNT should have dropped the regional designation of "North" and re-named the university to Texas State University.  Well, we sat around with our thumbs up our as$#$ and Southwest Texas State University did the right thing.  UNT is truly its own worst enemy.

We tried that prior to adapting UNT. The state legislature blocked it. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

So changing our name to Texas State wasn't the slam dunk positive marketing move you dream that it could have been.  Unless it was done right before the movie Unnecessary Roughness was released.  But that would have looked pathetic in my book.  

Make that Necessary Roughness...

There was another movie comedy back in the 1930s about a fictional TSU football team:

IMDB: Pigskin Parade

Yale invites the University of Texas to compete in a charity football game--but a secretary fumbles the communication and extends the invitation to tiny Texas State University instead. 

Joe-Bob says "Check it out".

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ADLER said:

We HAVE a correct green, Pantone 356. It's Kelly Green, also known as Irish Green, the exact same shade of Green that Nike uses for all Marshall and Oregon uniforms and staffing gear. (Our staff likes to pretend that Nike doesn't make it)

Neon Green is also approved for "alternate" uniform colors per documentation approved by our Board of Regents, brown, gray, lavender, and black are not.

Yea I’m aware of that. We’ve also had forest green for some reason in the early 2000s and sometimes it’s still used. What I’m saying is put some money into making a green color that is trademarked and only used for the University. So many different shades of green out there. It’s maddening. 

8 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I think we can all agree that our branding is a mess. Even on this board, people will refer to us as the Mean Green Eagles, albeit rarely.

I suspect with the new regime, we will go through another rebranding, compounding the problem. 

I don't see an issue other than color picking. 

University : North Texas

Mascot : Eagle

Spirit : Mean Green

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:56 AM, keith said:

New coach, new era...time for a rebranding of our football program.  Using UCF as a model, I'd like to see us go with and use UNT over North Texas.  I know this is somewhat controversial, but I'm tired of seeing multiple representations (North Texas, N. Texas, North Tex., Nor. Texas or the worst No Texas in all the sports tickers) of our school. Talk about destroying your brand.  Yes, there are examples of universities that have been able to overcome their directional name, but to the great unwashed we are no different than Southern New Hampshire.  UCF has avoided it completely.  The younger generation usually refers to UNT as the school they go/went to.  We should embrace that.

While we are at it, we need to get rid of the awful eagle feathers helmet logo or any logo that utilizes an outline/map of the state.  Put a little Texas outline on the back or something, but not as part of the primary logo.  It reeks of desperation.

When I comes to our athletic teams, people know us as North Texas or the Mean Green. This was an intentional choice to create a unique, recognizable brand. It worked. No need to change. Nationally, people who have ever heard of UNT know about us mostly from athletics and say “North Texas” when mentioning the university and “Mean Green” when talking about our teams. Focusing in on Mean Green was possibly the smartest move Rick Villarreal ever made as AD. 

• Upvote 2