DRC: UNT-UTSA depth chart -- Kadren Johnson moves to top at defensive end

Brett Vito

#99 Cam Robertson has been playing more and more.  If we can keep him here, he will be the best of all of them.  He continues to make plays.

The only game our DL really got pushed around was UNLV.  I was worried because if that is happening, nothing else matters.  But since then, they have played well.  And they are all underclassmen (if that matters anymore).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Boy seems like Trieb has been a bust this season after all the hype.

Not sure what his injury was/is, but he sure seems to lack explosiveness off the ball.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Wow, that's a LOT of Fr/So listed, especially on offense.

If I counted correctly, I see:
  Offense: 21/28
  Defense: 15/25

Hopefully we can keep most of them around for the next 2+ years.

And it is important to get some experience for next year's QB this year, but I don't expect SL to do much of that.

This has been the case for a few years now, for whatever reason we never had a big senior class which makes a big difference on the field. 20 years old vs. 22/23+ is a big difference, both mentally, experience wise, and having two or more offseasons to shape a players body. 

2020: 13 scholarship seniors

2021: 7 scholarship seniors

2022: 6 or scholarship seniors, unsure if our kicker or punter are on scholarship.

And again, only 16 scholarship junior players on the roster. I could be wrong on some of those numbers because of the extra covid year, but the point remains we have been devoid of large senior classes for years now.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

50 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not sure what his injury was/is, but he sure seems to lack explosiveness of the ball.

Yep, his first move is always to stand up from his stance which is a big no-no when you are playing a position where the low man wins.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Yep, his first move is always to stand up from his stance which is a big no-no when you are playing a position where the low man wins.

The main thing I notice is that we have him playing with both hands on the ground.  His highlight video, which I loved, shows him playing in a three point stance.  I know that seems trivial, but when you aren't used to something it can make a big difference.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/15240717/61cbd706c11b3c08802f681c

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Will we ever throw to TE Jake Robert’s again?

He had a catch last week. In general, combined our TEs had 4 catches in each of the last three games. I have constantly complained about not throwing to the TEs for years but this year they have done pretty good job getting the ball to them. Gumms is emerging as a weapon

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

What worries me is other than Gaddie, our secondary is woefully short.

Couple of DB observations.

* Was Whitlock out last week?

* Both West and Williams arrived as pretty highly rated safeties yet they rarely see the field.  Both have good size.

* Is Davis out for the year?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Couple of DB observations.

* Was Whitlock out last week?

* Both West and Williams arrived as pretty highly rated safeties yet they rarely see the field.  Both have good size.

* Is Davis out for the year?

Davis is out for the year, except for possibly a late bowl.. not sure on the other two.

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

He had a catch last week. In general, combined our TEs had 4 catches in each of the last three games. I have constantly complained about not throwing to the TEs for years but this year they have done pretty good job getting the ball to them. Gumms is emerging as a weapon

Agree on the TE’s need more targets.  There was at least one more Roberts target that was off the mark in the LaTech game. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You’ve seen something impressive from Davis that makes you think he’d keep them in check? I haven’t.

I think Davis is a better all-around CB. Texada might have more talent but seems to be out of position a bit. 

• Upvote 1