FIRE BOWEN NOW

UNTLifer

Leach and his disciples win games like tonight. Just outscore the opponent. 

Defense will never be a priority here under this regime. It will just never get the attention or respect that offense gets. It’s basically the complete opposite of the Dan McCarney focus. One side couldn’t run an offense to save their lives, the other can’t run defense to save their lives.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Bowen was hired here with the expectation of running a 4-3 defense as he has most of his career.  Once he got here he realized there was no way that was possible due to our roster construction.  Add in opt outs, injuries, etc and my stance is that I think it's fair to give him next season to see how the defense looks running the defense he is comfortable with and not something he was forced into.

• Upvote 2

I hear what you are saying but I saw no improvement in out defense as the year went on.  You would hope to see some progress being made but up until the last play of the season we had no real improvement to speak of.  As my HS coach always said Champions adjust.   We did not adjust to anything and we could not stop the run when we all knew the teams would run on us.

• Thanks 1

He was a decent coach the last time he rolled through here, the roster is not in shape to run the 4-3, but no real improvement over the course of the year.  Covid, roster, not the right fit for this group of players/coaches, or does he just suck . . . not sure. He and most coaches across the country will get a pass this year.  I just hope that they (the staff) can better manage the roster to turn this into a version of something we can be proud of.

• Upvote 2

I look at what Bloesch did with the OL (much improved), and look at what Bowen did with the defense (somehow managed to step backwards), and I’m less inclined to give Bowen a pass/benefit of the doubt.

The ONLY reason I consider keeping him around is because with a new DC, we’d be asking these players to learn 3 defensive schemes in 3 years, and that’s tough to do, let alone the toll it would take on their confidence.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Leach and his disciples win games like tonight. Just outscore the opponent. 

Defense will never be a priority here under this regime. It will just never get the attention or respect that offense gets. It’s basically the complete opposite of the Dan McCarney focus. One side couldn’t run an offense to save their lives, the other can’t run defense to save their lives.

Maybe we can get co-head coaches???  Gotta think outside the box 😬🤣

Edited by NT93

My guess is that we will see multiple fronts (we already do as evidenced by 4-5 guys on the line against UTEP) but that we will see a traditional 4-man front a majority of the time. I sure hope all the DL recruits sign this class because we might need all of them to run it. At one point Friday we were down to one DT when LeBlanc went out.