12/8 official visit thread

TheReal_jayD

So I am guessing one of the following:

1.  Stealth recruiting.

2.  The weekend that was deemed really important didn't pan out.

3. The players we had on campus don't use twitter.

4.  All the big ballers went elsewhere.

5.  Our recruiting coordinator didn't coordinate and our HS relations person is focusing on the class of 2022 by reading nusery rhymes at the local elementary school.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, outoftown said:

When Jay D is down on how this staff does this, that is really worrisome.

Really increases the feeling that Littrell needs to put some of his coaching resources in recruiting, even if it is at the expense of a on the field coaching guy.

Would be great to hear SL/WB make a deal that boosters need to up the coaching budget, and hopefully the students up the fee to make up to cost else where 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would be great to hear SL/WB make a deal that boosters need to up the coaching budget, and hopefully the students up the fee to make up to cost else where 

See I don't think it is a money question. The resources I mean have little to do with money and more with him actually being willing for some guys on his staff to spend time an focus on recruiting skills at times rather than on the field chops. That is obviously particularly true for people like the recruiting coordinator. But a significant part of the smooth talking and attention has to come from the actual assistants and coordinators, because those are the folks recruits actually want to hear from on a very regular basis. Doing that is a skill, just like on the field coaching.

Edited by outoftown

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My question is.. what changed for us to sour on the recruiting people or is it now they are the weak link which stands out more because of the other areas have improved?

I wouldn't say its a change. Rather its a lack of a change, that ought to happen when your program has wins to sell in addition to improved facilities and a nice stadium.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This staff will continue to struggle as long as your Recruiting coordinator is more worried about pretending to be a coach and has zero recruiting and personal skills.

And your high school relations is just worried about coordinating book readings at the local middle school... 

Just my opinion. But I'm a homer 

If you're able to evaluate the issues, I hope Littrell can too.

48 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The recent USA Today article linked in another thread shows that money isn't the issue.  It sounds like Steinklift (sp?) isn't taking caremof his responsibilities.  We have more to sell now than at anytime in our past, stadium, administrative commitment, continued growth and improvement each year under this staff, renovated facilities, IPF on the way, outside of Rice best school in the west, etc...  As was noted above, if @TheReal_jayD is upset, then something ain't kosher.  If SL isn't happy  then I would expect him to make changes.  Make Trice your recruiting coordinator.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Scott Conley is pretty useless.

I was exciting when we hired Stenklyft because it finally felt like we were putting more into recruiting. Fact is, in three recruiting cycles, it hasn't improved, and my support for him is waning. 

We can only out system other teams for so long. Sooner or later teams with bigger, faster, stronger players will begin to dominate us regardless of scheme. If we want to be consistently elite, recruiting has to be at the forefront.

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So how long does it take before we realize this person is not doing his job?  Whatever a director of HS relations does???

I'm personally not in a position to say whether or not he's doing his job.  Community involvement has obviously become a bigger thing for UNT football players in recent years, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Been here 7 years.

I think it's been a little longer than that.

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The recent USA Today article linked in another thread shows that money isn't the issue.  It sounds like Steinklift (sp?) isn't taking caremof his responsibilities.  We have more to sell now than at anytime in our past, stadium, administrative commitment, continued growth and improvement each year under this staff, renovated facilities, IPF on the way, outside of Rice best school in the west, etc...  As was noted above, if @TheReal_jayD is upset, then something ain't kosher.  If SL isn't happy  then I would expect him to make changes.  Make Trice your recruiting coordinator.

You have to think the money is being spent on the field and not on recruiting, but we have no idea such we haven’t seen his salary. 

I do believe this is when we need to go get a splash/are recruiting coach and coordinator. Having a solid year and still struggling to recruit is worrisome to this fan.

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah Scott Conley is pretty useless.

I was exciting when we hired Stenklyft because it finally felt like we were putting more into recruiting. Fact is, in three recruiting cycles, it hasn't improved, and my support for him is waning. 

We can only out system other teams for so long. Sooner or later teams with bigger, faster, stronger players will begin to dominate us regardless of scheme. If we want to be consistently elite, recruiting has to be at the forefront.

Agreed!!

• Upvote 1