Coaching moves that could happen

El Paso Eagle

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

Venables is being courted by UA and UA needs a defense, so probably comes down to Venables or Morris

Really surprised that Venables has been hired away.  He has been a strong assistant at big programs for years.

4 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I don’t think y’all realize how respected Morris is in coaching circles. He is very well known and the players and people who work for him love this guy. I know you hate him Bc he is at SMU, but he will land a big time gig. He has changed a culture at SMU. 

I think some of the bigger programs are going to be nervous about Morris' record at SMU, which has been less than impressive. He really has not shown yet that he can take care of business against his in conference peers. SMU has gone 2-10, 5-7, and now 7-5 under Morris. He is 6-12 in OOC and 8-16 in conference games over the last 3 years. 

He is a good coach, but I wonder if an SEC or Big12 AD  is ready to try and sell him to the boosters.  He is good, but he still comes with some unanswered questions. We'll see.  He appears to be getting some serious looks this year.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I don’t think y’all realize how respected Morris is in coaching circles. He is very well known and the players and people who work for him love this guy. I know you hate him Bc he is at SMU, but he will land a big time gig. He has changed a culture at SMU. 

I hear you and I guess that counts for something...

But his actual performance on the field has been mediocre

I know he's respected in coaching circles but he has a sub .400 winning % as a head coach.

I just don't see a big program accepting that....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I hear you and I guess that counts for something...

But his actual performance on the field has been mediocre

I know he's respected in coaching circles but he has a sub .400 winning % as a head coach.

I just don't see a big program accepting that....

If UA hires Morris or Norvell their snobby fans are going to riot. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, unt_rocket09 said:

Totally understand that. But we all know how political these things can be. He is a SMOOTH talker. You should see the people flock to listen to him speak at clinics. He is a great recruiter as well. 

That is a good point....and got me to thinking about him and Seth Littrell...

During the CUSA Championship game, they put up a graphic of a "blind resume" of coaches and which one would you pick. It was 4 coaches with record before they got to their school, record now, P5 head coaching experience and P5 asst coaching experience

One was: 2-10 pre them, 7-5 now, 0 P5 HC expericence, 4 years P5 asst experience

Another: 1-11 pre them, 9-3 now, 0 P5 HC experience, 11 years P5 asst experience  

Which one looks better?

LIttrell is NOT a smooth talker...which could actually hold him back. Sometimes real substance isn't what moves folks up. (Boy, what a perfect place for someone that advances due to political reasons instead of actual performance....great fit there on the Hilltop)

• Upvote 1

When I have heard SL speak at clinics he comes across as not a bullshit guy.  No nonsense, and just very genuine.  McCarney came across as full of shit guy.  Morris to me comes across as a salesman, but people eat that up!  My personality fits well with someone like SL.  So I guess its your preference, and I believe SL fits our University and I believe Morris fits at SMU exactly like you stated.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The SMU job/culture is not necessarily a SeaDoo.    Kinda like us.

tanker_img_02.jpg

True, but I have seen quite a bit of change in the last two years, much more than I have seen in Morris' 3 years in Dallas.

Edited by UNTLifer