DRC: UNT headed to New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Let's face it.  That kind of fan isn't going to Shreveport either.  That is out many problem, our alumni base is dominated by those types of fan.  

That may be true, but If we got to llay fsu I think we would have a good turnout. As good as HOD probably not. Better then NO this year most likely. 

Nothing we can do now. Yall drive safe and have fun in NO. I'll  be working the salvation red kettle at my local kroger. 

Of all the CUSA bowls that have been announced, I see the Indy bowl as the only bowl match up that I have the slightest bit of envy for, and for me personally, I am still kind of torn.

For me, my family loves New Orleans and we usually go every year or so.  We are using this as an opportunity to go for a long weekend and take in the bowl game.  Also looking at taking in a Saints game on Sunday.

If we would have played in the Indy Bowl, I likely would have gone by myself and it would have been an out and back thing, probably to watch us get skull drug by another team from Florida, but still hey, P5.

I get the disappointment over the Indy Bowl.  I think USM did get a very fortunate draw compared to what their likely expectations were going in, but I am certainly not as upset as some.

Hey, at least nutsak did not get in, which should help take away a slight amount of the pain, plus SMU and LaTech have to play in the Frisco bowl, which should be an embarrassment to both, especially if they don't sell it out.

Hopefully, the weather will be crappy for the Indy bowl like it normally is and we will be able to throw our heads back and laugh at how terrible the attendance is in Shreveport while drinking mugs of Troy tears.

Next year, when we make a bowl, I am sure we return to playing close to home.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Let's face it.  That kind of fan isn't going to Shreveport either.  That is out many problem, our alumni base is dominated by those types of fan.  

A lot more fans would have gone to Shreveport vs FSU than NO bowl.. it’s crazy to think fans would not.. Got many friends that are disappointed because of USM 

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

Are you telling me no other C-USA bowl wanted us?

What other CUSA bowl would you take over the NO Bowl?  

Saturday Dec 16
12:00 pm ESPN: New Orleans - UNT vs Troy 
1:30 pm CBS College Sports: Cure - WKU vs Georgia St
3:30 pm ESPN: New Mexico - Marshall vs Colorado St
7:00 pm ESPN: Camellia - Middle Tennessee vs Arkansas St

Tuesday Dec 19
6:00 pm ESPN: Boca Raton - FAU vs Akron

Wednesday Dec 20
7:00 pm ESPN: Frisco - La Tech vs SMU

Thursday Dec 21
7:00 pm ESPN: Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla - FIU vs Temple

Friday Dec 22
11:30 am ESPN: Bahamas - UAB vs Ohio

I tell you what.  If you can ever present to me compelling proof that we had an invite to the Indy to play FSU then I'l bring the feathers, you bring the rail, and @Side Show Joe can bring the tar.THe

I would be very angry about that. v

Everything I have heard said we wanted a P5 game, sold as hard as we could, and didn't get the invite. 

If I remember correctly the independence reps are at Homecoming, maybe they needed to come by our tailgate to get the extra sell. Some balls, john's cuban sandwiches and Tequila could have fixed that train.

2 minutes ago, mgfan said:

That may be true, but If we got to llay fsu I think we would have a good turnout.

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

A lot more fans would have gone to Shreveport vs FSU than NO bowl.. 

Well we didn't get an invite to play FSU in the Indy bowl.   So we can argue about which bowl would get more people to go to it, or exactly how many angels fit on the end of a pin, both accomplish about the same.  

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

A lot more fans would have gone to Shreveport vs FSU than NO bowl.. it’s crazy to think fans would not.. Got many friends that are disappointed because of USM 

I had 5 people willing to go with me the Shreveport. New Orleans is too soon and too much travel cost. For my crew, time is easier to get during the Holidays than money. 

Just now, KingDL1 said:

If I remember correctly the independence reps are at Homecoming, maybe they needed to come by our tailgate to get the extra sell. Some balls, john's cuban sandwiches and Tequila could have fixed that train.

I saw them.  They got the red carpet treatment.  We wanted to go there, badly.

If there is anyone who our ire should be directed at it is the Indy bowl reps.  They made their own decision.  Pres and AD wanted to go badly.  Nothing we can do about it now except GO TO THE NO BOWL IF YOU CAN AND START CHANGING THAT PERCEPTION OTHERS HAVE OF US.

Just now, Cerebus said:

Well we didn't get an invite to play FSU in the Indy bowl.   So we can argue about which bowl would get more people to go to it, or exactly how many angels fit on the end of a pin, both accomplish about the same.  

You have no idea if they got an invite.. UNT did not consider The Indy bowl and settled for the NO, been told this by multiple people in the ticket office.. Multiple bowls reached out to UNT and they only focused on a select few.. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

Haha its not school. A lot of people will be back at work Wednesday if they aren't using vacation time.

When was school brought up? My statement was about if someone is required to work the day after xmas then they likely will be working the weekends leading up to xmas.. 

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

What error in judgement?  I am sure the AD would have LOVED to play FSU in the Indy. They didn't invite us.  

This level of invective would only seem appropriate to me if we had TURNED DOWN a Indy bowl invite.  In fact, if it ever comes to light that we did that, I will man the barricades next to you.  

It has been clear for several days that a segment of our fan base would be disgruntle if we went to the NO Bowl and had to play a Sun Belt school. There had to be other offers extended to North Texas. We are the second place team in C-USA, and undefeated in our division. The fact that USM is enjoying a nice match up in a better bowl rubs me the wrong way. Yes, they may have not been interested in us. but, it is our leaderships job to make them interested in us. We are closer to the I Bowl. We have a much larger university and alumni population. We have a better record, And, we beat them this season. If this angry response from some of us comes as a surprise to our administration, then they are tone deaf.

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You have no idea if they got an invite.. UNT did not consider The Indy bowl and settled for the NO, been told this by multiple people in the ticket office.. Multiple bowls reached out to UNT and they only focused on a select few.. 

Well I've been told the exact opposite by people at higher levels of the university than "the ticket office".  Unless any of our sources is willing to go public then it doesn't really make a lot of sense to keep arguing.  

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Do you know which bowls? 

3 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I had 5 people willing to go with me the Shreveport. New Orleans is too soon and too much travel cost. For my crew, time is easier to get during the Holidays than money. 

My group is passing because it’s been there and done that before and not being impressed, and that was even before the USM bowl announcement..

Just now, Side Show Joe said:

It has been clear for several days that a segment of our fan base would be disgruntle if we went to the NO Bowl and had to play a Sun Belt school. There had to be other offers extended to North Texas. 

Again, which of the other CUSA bowls would you have taken over NO?

I saw them.  They got the red carpet treatment.  We wanted to go there, badly.

If there is anyone who our ire should be directed at it is the Indy bowl reps.  They made their own decision.  Pres and AD wanted to go badly.  Nothing we can do about it now except GO TO THE NO BOWL IF YOU CAN AND START CHANGING THAT PERCEPTION OTHERS HAVE OF US.

Worst of it is, a low payout bowl against a team we are expected to beat that I think will beat us. I hope not and I hope we slobber knock Troy. If we could run up the score to a hundred to zero against them I would be happiest. 

Well I've been told the exact opposite by people at higher levels of the university than "the ticket office".  Unless any of our sources is willing to go public then it doesn't really make a lot of sense to keep arguing.  

Lmao the go to line on GMG is for people to reveal sources... Domt you think If they wanted it made public who they are, they would just come out and say it on their own? 

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

What other CUSA bowl would you take over the NO Bowl?  

Saturday Dec 16
12:00 pm ESPN: New Orleans - UNT vs Troy 
1:30 pm CBS College Sports: Cure - WKU vs Georgia St
3:30 pm ESPN: New Mexico - Marshall vs Colorado St
7:00 pm ESPN: Camellia - Middle Tennessee vs Arkansas St

Tuesday Dec 19
6:00 pm ESPN: Boca Raton - FAU vs Akron

Wednesday Dec 20
7:00 pm ESPN: Frisco - La Tech vs SMU

Thursday Dec 21
7:00 pm ESPN: Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla - FIU vs Temple

Friday Dec 22
11:30 am ESPN: Bahamas - UAB vs Ohio

I'd take any one of those over the NO Bowl.

Imagine how FAU feels right now. They were the best team in conference by a mile and got snubbed from playing an in-state P5. If anything they got snubbed, not us. This was almost certainly a FSU and Indy Bowl decision. If they were going to lose to a G5, they wanted it to be one that is respectable in their eyes as a program. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Imagine how FAU feels right now. They were the best team in conference by a mile and got snubbed from playing an in-state P5. If anything they got snubbed, not us. This was almost certainly a FSU and Indy Bowl decision. If they were going to lose to a G5, they wanted it to be one that is respectable in their eyes as a program. 

We brought more fans to their stadium than they had, how does it look if you can't travel to your home stadium for a conference championship.

4 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I'd take any one of those over the NO Bowl.

I don't see how these picks strengthen your argument.  You say the NO bowl choice would lower our attendance  but instead you would choose:

• Bahamas: Very expensive trip and need a passport.  I would go but I would expect to be joined by 1500 Mean Green fans at the most. 
  • New Mexico: I actually like ABQ but this is on the exact same day as the NO and I don't think the city is anywhere near the draw NO will be.
  • Gasparilla: Playing on a baseball diamond would be kinda neat to see, but his is more expensive than the NO bowl, and I don't think the city is a big a draw as NO.
  • Frisco: We would probably take a good crowd here.  It is a tiny stadium, we'll prob have about the same attendance as the SMU game did this year, and oh yeah we have already played SMU.  Add to this Smatresk didn't want to go to it.  

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Lmao the go to line on GMG is for people to reveal sources... Domt you think If they wanted it made public who they are, they would just come out and say it on their own? 

You act like you have to be right because you have sources.  Other people can have sources.   I trust my sources.  

ETA: I also saw us roll out the red carpet for the Indy bowl reps.  Why would the president smother them with attention if we didn't want the bowl invite?

I don't see how these picks strengthen your argument.  You say the NO bowl choice would lower our attendance  but instead you would choose:

• Bahamas: Very expensive trip and need a passport.  I would go but I would expect to be joined by 1500 Mean Green fans at the most. 
  • New Mexico: I actually like ABQ but this is on the exact same day as the NO and I don't think the city is anywhere near the draw NO will be.
  • Gasparilla: Playing on a baseball diamond would be kinda neat to see, but his is more expensive than the NO bowl, and I don't think the city is a big a draw as NO.
  • Frisco: We would probably take a good crowd here.  It is a tiny stadium, we'll prob have about the same attendance as the SMU game did this year, and oh yeah we have already played SMU.  Add to this Smatresk didn't want to go to it.  

Have you check airline tickets to new orleans. $$$$$ 

IDK if more money then others places but on short notice I'm not seeing a lot.