Slow your roll

Cr1028

I think people underestimate how starved this fanbase is for success.  So yes we do get excited with performances like we saw on the road at USM.  It is a good thing in my mind.  It gives us much needed hope for the future.  

2 hours ago, Sig381 said:

Til we can keep opponents under 20 ppg this is dodge 2.0

There are only 25 teams in FBS that are keeping opponents under 20 ppg against FBS competition so far this year.

15 of those 25 teams are ranked in the top 25.

9 of those 25 are scoring more ppg than UNT is against FBS Competition 

5 of those 9 are ranked in the 10.

Only 1 team in CUSA is keeping opponents under 20 ppg against FBS competition

Only 1 team in CUSA is scoring more ppg against FBS competition than UNT

UNT is 6th (CUSA) in ppg scoring margin against FBS competition. -5.2 PPG difference. (Off 33.8 ppg Def 39 ppg)

Under Dodge

2010-2011 -5.8 PPG difference against FBS competition (-10.9 before he got fired, +1.4 after he got fired) 

2009-2010 -9 

2008 - 2009 -27.5 PPG difference

2007 - 2008 -20.0 PPG difference

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

This offense is better than any Dodge offense ever was. This defense is more talented, and better coached than any of the Dodge ones except for maybe the last one his last season. Dodge was an _okay_ offensive coordinator. Given more time and better resources he may have been a decent HC I don't know. But he was a bad HC when he was here and there is very little to dispute that.

I wish we would have hired a good head coach and then got TD as OC. Kind of like what Littrell did with Harrell.

-----------

But I don't want to spend a lot of time looking back ten years at the worst teams of the century.

• Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

In total games coached:

6-37 (.140) vs. 7-10 (.412)

In 39.5% of games played one is 195% better than the other in percentage terms and 17% better in absolute numbers in the only column that matters. 

In first seventeen games coached:

2-15 (.118) vs 7-10 (.412)

In equal number of games played, one is 249% better than the other in percentage terms and 250% better in absolute numbers in the only column that matters. 

To equalize the two in terms of percentage, we need to go on a thirty-three game losing streak. 

Seth's record is 8-10, n'est-ce pa?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Sig381 said:

Til we can keep opponents under 20 ppg this is dodge 2.0

Everybody that wanted us to hire Leach or run the Air Raid, this is typically the type of defense you get with those systems. Not sure why. So, taking that in to consideration, I would be happy with a D that could hold our opponents to 20 ish per game. 

• Lovely Take 1

I was impressed with the way our D played after getting down 14 early in the game.  Only gave up 7 points in the second half and a held USM to a goose egg in the fourth.  Basically the D put a strangle hold on the USM offense and eliminated any comeback attempt by the Golden Eagles.  Well done Defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Ole Green Guts said:

I'm all for getting fired up but lets cool it just a tad........ It is vital that the STUDENTS and FANS show up next Saturday.  The SMiss win was big but the UTSA win would be a program builder.

Agreed.  Hate to give that much credit to a win over UTSA, but the timing sets it up to be a pivotal game on our rebuilding path.

Edited by keith
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Ole Green Guts said:

I'm all for getting fired up but lets cool it just a tad........ It is vital that the STUDENTS and FANS show up next Saturday.  The SMiss win was big but the UTSA win would be a program builder.

So that means people need to be fired up. There should be no cooling it. We want fans and students to know that this is an exciting football team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, keith said:

I was impressed with the way our D played after getting down 14 early in the game.  Only gave up 7 points in the second half and a held USM to a goose egg in the fourth.  Basically the D put a strangle hold on the USM offense and eliminated any comeback attempt by the Golden Eagles.  Well done Defense.

Agreed.

Let's whip their a$$ and steal their recruits!

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Just gotta hope that same defense shows up against UTSA, and not the brain-farting one that kept trying to give UAB the game 2 weeks ago.

• Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Ole Green Guts said:

Everyone is running around like we just won the conference because we beat SMISS.  This is what we should be doing.  Pair it with a UTSA win and lets get the party rolling...........

I don’t think people are acting that way. People are excited bc UNT put themselves in a position to contend for the west crown. They went on the road and defeated a team that analysts thought could challenge UTSA & La Tech. The excitement is justified for fans. 

Yes the team has issues and it’s fair to criticize, but don’t hate on the fans for being excited. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I don’t think people are acting that way. People are excited bc UNT put themselves in a position to contend for the west crown. They went on the road and defeated a team that analysts thought could challenge UTSA & La Tech. The excitement is justified for fans. 

Yes the team has issues and it’s fair to criticize, but don’t hate on the fans for being excited. 

Not to mention a SMISS team that was favored by 9. Like, my own personal excitement is that NT won a game in which they were underdogs in showing they can pull out the kind of win that is needed to win titles. They might not do it this season, but these are program-building wins. I know @Mean_Green09 had criticized Seth previously for winning only the games he was supposed to win (Army notwithstanding). 

NT is a good offense and a defense that is solid enough to win games against QBs that can't complete intermediate routes with regularity (Griggs). The great news is that the division has a couple of QBs that can't complete intermediate routes with regularity (Griggs, UTEPs, Rice). The program is in a good place and moving in a good direction.

• Lovely Take 1