North Texas vs. Iowa OFFICIAL Game Thread

Harry

10 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

sure. I've been embarrassed, angry, disappointed, bemused and overtly negative about this program over the last 16 years. I've seen a lot of terrible football, and the older folks have seen a lot more.

today shouldn't be one of those days. there is a lot to like...a lot to clean up and a lot to improve on...but again, this team does not suck. 

This. Still have us finishing 8-4. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, 97and03 said:

The punting and the penalties were killers. But it is silly to ignore that the offense put 0 points on the board in the second half. Now looks like "same old North Texas " now

They had the ball less than 10 minutes... when the defense is giving up 10+ play/15+ drives.. 

Yes they were bad on offense but it being so limited to how many plays?

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

They had the ball less than 10 minutes... when the defense is giving up 10+ play/15+ drives.. 

Yes they were bad on offense but it being so limited to how many plays?

They had the ball less than 10 minutes because they did nothing with it.  Do you understand football at all? 

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This L isn't on the offense.. it's on the defense and crappy punting.. 

Preston, Kensworthy hurt us A LOT

BS. If we are going to beat teams with more talent, we need more playmakers back there other than Wilson. It is the O. The D is fatigued. You can't expect them to beat the teams with talent by having no sustained drives and constantly not convert on 3rd downs. That is a lot to ask a D to constantly hold the opposing offense. This so called D who lost the game held Iowa to 10 points in the 1st half when they had their legs. 

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, yyz28 said:

Oh, I agree. While "moral victories" are not something I've ever been a big fan of, there is some good here today. 

Just don't like to see fellow fans at each other's throat, and I don't think anyone being critical of the team or analyzing where we are in this game means they have "QUIT" on the Mean Green. That's my only argument.

but it's just meaningless and constant negativity...anything to find to bitch about...look at Rick's post above..."I'm going to make another hindsight observation from my couch because I was an extra in a terrible movie and know lots about footballs" 

yes...the Iowa line wore us down. yes...penalties are a major issue (though I bet you won't find another game Iowa gets penalized this much...this crew is awful). yes...special teams are terrible. anyone who has every watched a game of football can see that things need to get cleaned up.

but no one expected us to compete for three quarters at a P5 where we usually lay down...the last time we did that was Georgia and everyone has fond memories of that season. "fans" also need perspective and to manage expectations...and today it's to focus so much more on an aggressive, fast defense, an o-line that did a much better job of protecting and some dynamic, young playmakers. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Biagi has to go. And I don't mean at the end of the season.

I give this guy one more game to show me something.  Thus  far, it's an F.

1 hour ago, LongJim said:

Props to the offense,  but really impressed with defensive play overall.

Saw some great things in the first half. Pressure up the middle among others.  We were 0-fer on 3rd down conversions.  thats concerning.

one day I want to be winning these games but, for now, I feel better about bowl potential.

Edited by greenminer

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

They had the ball less than 10 minutes because they did nothing with it.  Do you understand football at all? 

Yea UNT couldn't hold the ball but the defense couldn't get off the field.. committing stupid penalties only gave Iowa more free yardage and allowed for them to be ahead of the chains.. 

Allowing multiple 10+ play drives is pathetic in a single quarter.. 

You can blame the offense for not holding the ball. I can blame the defense for not getting the ball.. it's a damn chicken or egg, which came first.. so whatever helps you sleep at night 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

but no one expected us to compete for three quarters at a P5 where we usually lay down...the last time we did that was Georgia and everyone has fond memories of that season. 

The difference is that we played up to Georgia then. Today Iowa played down to us.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The difference is that we played up to Georgia then. Today Iowa played down to us.

Yep it was all about penalties that made the margin of victory comfortable for Iowa in the end.   I think we are leading by 3 or tied going in to the fourth quarter with solid Special Teams play and less than 5 penalties.   A lead changes the way Iowa calls plays those last 2 drives.  No way they are handing off the ball on 3rd and 7 trailing by 3 in the game.  That said it this is the typical outcome when good G5 team goes on the road to a huge P5 team.  It is the depth that is the difference.  And usually that depth starts showing up in the second half of these games.  Being tied or leading going into the 4th quarter is the only shot you have usually as the G5 underdog.  They squandered that opportunity with bad penalties and horrible special teams play.

• Upvote 2

To me the lack of success on 3rd down is a big problem.  On one of the most critical 3rd downs in the second half we throw short of the marker?  That said, lots of bright spots and a good overall effort today. Game felt closer than the score.