3 things before SMU

Cr1028

I saw three things that need repair before SMU.

1. Mason has to get the ball out quicker. He shouldn't have taken a sack last night. He needs to throw it away or tuck it and run. He held the ball to look long.

2. We can't give up the deep ball like that. Nate Brooks looked like he was jogging after the receiver on that one deep ball. Sutton is going to destroy us if we play like that next week.

3. Special teams. Muffed punt, giving up big returns, almost giving up an onside kick, and punting. Also, we very nearly got roasted on punt return several times because our locker nearly got hit with the ball several times. That can be a game changing turnover against the ponies.. I'm not so sure Biagi was an upgrade from Tommy Perry.

The running backs looked good as did the d-line at times, but if we don't correct these things, SMU very well could give us a good thumping.

• Lovely Take 2

There was talk during fall practice that the special teams had their pick of all players.  What happened?  Kickoff return team had some veterans in up field blocking positions but both kick and punt coverage teams were filled with freshman.  The only special teams unit that looked good was the field goal team.  Which makes sense with Biagi being a former kicker....but man we look to be in trouble everywhere else.

• Upvote 2

1.  Mason didn't pick up a 0 blitz they brought more than we had blockers it was man to man coverage with no safety help.  They need to do one of two things there, throw slants or fades.  He has no time to hold the ball in those types of blitzes.   Special teams will get cleaned up this week.  The onside wasn't close, they got it 5 yards before they could even touch it.  Jenkins was returning punts live first time in a long time.  I believe he'll get that fixed.  The sky isn't falling from what I saw, just some technique stuff that needs to be addressed. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Haha...no kidding.

I mean they have a Former QB turned RB now LB, a true freshman gunner that is 5-6, and a PR guy who didn't return punts last year and probably even before that.. 

Give me a break guys, the special teams will work itself out.. they have had a game now.. let's evaluate at least in after a couple of games.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/3/2017 at 8:57 AM, Cr1028 said:

I saw three things that need repair before SMU.

1. Mason has to get the ball out quicker. He shouldn't have taken a sack last night. He needs to throw it away or tuck it and run. He held the ball to look long.

2. We can't give up the deep ball like that. Nate Brooks looked like he was jogging after the receiver on that one deep ball. Sutton is going to destroy us if we play like that next week.

3. Special teams. Muffed punt, giving up big returns, almost giving up an onside kick, and punting. Also, we very nearly got roasted on punt return several times because our locker nearly got hit with the ball several times. That can be a game changing turnover against the ponies.. I'm not so sure Biagi was an upgrade from Tommy Perry.

The running backs looked good as did the d-line at times, but if we don't correct these things, SMU very well could give us a good thumping.

3 things that didn't get repaired after Lamar got us smoked and the things that looked good before just looked ok last night.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1