ENGLISH INJURY

djohnnie

55 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

There was a surgery? 

Yes English had surgery on the foot the following day after he broke it.

1 hour ago, djohnnie said:

I already knew he was injured. i just wanted to know how the healing process was going, as Vito hadn't mentioned the

progress of the injury since the surgery. I was just checking, as it has been two-three weeks now. GMG

Was told the idea is for him to be back for UAB (2nd home game) and If that isn't possible it should be SM or UTSA at the latest. 

He had it checked out and said he would be walking soon, if he isn't already. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Don't think they are really supposed to say, but I think Vito let it slip in his post over the weekend saying "  UNT is adjusting with nose tackle Bryce English out for the first half of the season with a broken foot.  "

I think that is Brett just talking about the injury in a generalization. 

15 hours ago, Marty said:

would like to see him get a few snaps in the UAB game, a little more at USM, and then come back full strength for UTsa.

I was told he should miss 6 weeks, and he broke it on 8/9 with him having surgery on the 10th.. 

I think he could make it back for Iowa (if he needed too) but I would agree let get a pass on Iowa, no need to test it and get hurt even worse vs. a Big10 OL...

I'd love for him to be unleashed on UTSA, could be a big turning point for us if we dominate that game. 

• Upvote 1

Let me preface this by saying, I know nothing about the nature of his injury (which bone - or bones, did he roll it or was he stepped on, ligament/tendon/nerve/muscle damage, etc.), but... 

I broke my ankle six weeks ago.  Left distal fibula fracture.  Non-weight-bearing bone.  No surgery required.  Got out of the boot after 4 weeks.  Started PT right after getting out of the boot.  I'm sure I don't heal as fast as a younger man, but if his soft tissue damage was anything like mine, I don't think there is any way he'd be in playing shape after 6 weeks.  That's basically how long it will take for the bone to heal and even then it's not fully healed.  One PT exercise is to raise up on your toes and then let yourself back down again.  I still can't support my full body weight on my injured foot (I'm a little over half his body weight) and when I try the pain is significant.  I can't imagine him getting much of a push off that foot, especially with a 300+ pound lineman bearing down on him.  This is the first time I've been in a boot or a cast and the muscles atrophy surprisingly fast.  Building the strength up again will take some time.  I wish him a speedy (and full) recovery.  If it's anything like mine, it is a painful process.  Now if it's hockey we're talking about, you simply lace that skate up and get back out on the ice! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

Let me preface this by saying, I know nothing about the nature of his injury (which bone - or bones, did he roll it or was he stepped on, ligament/tendon/nerve/muscle damage, etc.), but... 

I broke my ankle six weeks ago.  Left distal fibula fracture.  Non-weight-bearing bone.  No surgery required.  Got out of the boot after 4 weeks.  Started PT right after getting out of the boot.  I'm sure I don't heal as fast as a younger man, but if his soft tissue damage was anything like mine, I don't think there is any way he'd be in playing shape after 6 weeks.  That's basically how long it will take for the bone to heal and even then it's not fully healed.  One PT exercise is to raise up on your toes and then let yourself back down again.  I still can't support my full body weight on my injured foot (I'm a little over half his body weight) and when I try the pain is significant.  I can't imagine him getting much of a push off that foot, especially with a 300+ pound lineman bearing down on him.  This is the first time I've been in a boot or a cast and the muscles atrophy surprisingly fast.  Building the strength up again will take some time.  I wish him a speedy (and full) recovery.  If it's anything like mine, it is a painful process.  Now if it's hockey we're talking about, you simply lace that skate up and get back out on the ice! 

His injury from the photos of the post-surgery was not in the ankle area, it was on the side/top of the arc of your foot. 

Either he was tough enough or it wasn't hurting him because he was walking on it the evening he broke it.. The 6weeks is just what I was told but that wasn't directly from English. 

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

His injury from the photos of the post-surgery was not in the ankle area, it was on the side/top of the arc of your foot. 

Either he was tough enough or it wasn't hurting him because he was walking on it the evening he broke it.. The 6weeks is just what I was told but that wasn't directly from English. 

As long as it's non-weight-bearing, you can do that.  My break was to the non-weight-bearing bone of the leg.  I was walking on it as soon as I got the boot (less than 36 hours after I broke it).  All speculation at this point.  The only person that really knows is Bryce.  I was kind of keying off the "all this pain" phrase in his tweet which I took to mean physical pain, but it could just a well mean emotional pain of not being on the field with his teammates.  

I'm not sure if surgery tends to lengthen the healing process or shorten it.  However, when I first started PT one of the first things they asked was if my injury required surgery, when I said no they responded with, "that's good."   Based on that I suspect that it lengthens it.

12 hours ago, Aldo said:

Foot injuries can become chronic if you aren't careful. When he's ready, he's ready.

This is true. You have to careful with every injury, but foot ones are hard ones to shake off. My dad had a buddy who broke his foot in the 80's, tried to rush back to a manual labor job. Guy has been in pain ever since and has had many surgeries.