North Texas Will Struggle To Fly In Loaded Conference USA

Harry

Just now, Ryan Munthe said:

IMO, losing in any capacity to UTSA is unacceptable. If we get blown out like that, then someone should be held accountable.

Yeah it's unacceptable but is it unrealistic? They beat us last year and bent us over in recruiting. 

Might be unacceptable but I could definitely see it happening again

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

IMO, losing in any capacity to UTSA is unacceptable. If we get blown out like that, then someone should be held accountable.

My sentiments exactly. Yes, we lost to them last season. Yes, they appear to have been out recruiting us. But, none of that is an excuse to lose to a program that wasn't even around just a few seasons ago. For a $1,000,000 a season, he better figure out how to beat them. No excuses.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

We pay Littrell more than UTSA grads make in a lifetime.

I think you and @Side Show Joe misunderstand my sentiments.

We should beat them. If we don't(which seems unlikely at this point), Seth Littrell should be fired, and we should find a competent head coach.

Period

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

We should beat them. If we don't(which seems unlikely at this point), Seth Littrell should be fired, and we should find a competent head coach.

Period

So we lose 3 games all season they are one of them, you still firing him? 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Period

We've put ourselves in a position to where we can't afford to fire Littrell.. IF he were to go downhill fast , I'm afraid it would play out just like Benford's contract 

* I'm not predicting 5 straight losing seasons.. just a what if scenario 

Just now, Side Show Joe said:

If we lose to UTSA, then we will be losing more then 3 games this season.

People don't give them enough Credit.  But the question still remains, if we lose 3 games UTSA being one of them do you still fire him?

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

People don't give them enough Credit.  But the question still remains, if we lose 3 games UTSA being one of them do you still fire him?

If we only lose 3 games, I'm good. I don't care who those 3 losses are to at this current point. 9-3 shows improvement and I'll take my one foot that is straddling between the sailboat and bandwagon and get firmly on the bandwagon. GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If we go 9-3 and lose to SMU and UTSA I'll be extremely happy. 

Let's do it first.(I don't see it happening)

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

If we only lose 3 games, I'm good. I don't care who those 3 losses are to at this current point. 9-3 shows improvement and I'll take my one foot that is straddling between the sailboat and bandwagon and get firmly on the bandwagon. GMG 

How about 5 losses? Still good? Curious what the cutoff is.

Just now, GMG24 said:

6-6 is my personal cutoff.

To be fair I don't see that on paper. We are expecting our team to improve more than other teams. Two years in I can't trust that, and I see our schedule being extremely difficult.

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

6-6 is my personal cutoff.

To be fair I don't see that on paper. We are expecting our team to improve more than other teams. Two years in I can't trust that, and I see our schedule being extremely difficult.

Hinge game for me is FAU, how good will they be.  I know I'm probably a bit biased but the kids have bought into what Littrell is selling them.  Got to chat with Guyton at one of our camps, and he told me these workouts match what they had at Notre Dame but felt different.  I asked what he meant and he said it was more of a bond with UNT like the guys really cared about each other. I asked how many TDs he was gunna snag this year he said always wants to beat previous year so he told me 16.  I told him 20 or he owed me and he started laughing.  He said coach you know I got the big body I'm not running away from anyone.  He and I chatted a bit more and he said they needed as many of us to show up to games as possible.  I told him I'd make all games I could.  I knew him from coaching him at workout camps when he was in Allen.  Excited about the season.  He told me the WR group is gunna turn some heads this year and I told him I thought they had a chance to be special. 

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

6-6 shows improvement. I can live with that and we can all get excited about a bowl game to attend. I can't say I'll be happy about 5-7, and anything worse than that will speak volumes of the direction of this program...Especially considering not just the state of our recruiting, but the positive state of recruiting for many of our peers. 

I'm hoping for improvement in the record 6-6 or better... or if that isn't able to happen then we need to show improvement in terms of developing kids for next year and years after.

If the record is less than 6 wins then it really comes down the staff needing to find out what they have on this roster.What I mean by that is that is this staff needs to give playing time to everyone and see what they can do. Instead of only playing only Fine and Quinn, they need to put in guys like Ohara, Izzy, Carson, and RS Pearson and have him sit for a year.. Find out which guys are just practice arms and which guys show something that can be developed.

Pearson for him to learn the offense, Johnson to get bigger, Darden to learn and develop as a WR (similar to what Griffin did), White to put on LBs, the OL kids for them to get a year in the offense and a year in the weight room. Siggers I think is the most ready of the incoming Freshman but hopefully the depth at RB allows him to RS, with us having Wilson, Smith, Tucker, Wyche, and the SFA kid.

On defense, I think its likely we RS the DL kids because of the depth that we have but to also allow them to get a year stronger as well. T.Davis from Denton Ryan, I would like to RS to allow him to get used to and develop into that Rover spot (which he talked about in the UNT DNA video about him practicing with Preston.) The DB Johnson from Houston will likely come in and play some but I hope we can RS and allow him to learn the fundmentals of the spot from guys like Jenks, Brooks, etc. The Juco kid Hall should come in and hopefully play that nickel back role allowing Moore, the freshman last year to develop some more hopefully. 

I know that its not going to to happen, but people say that Murray is a 1st/2nd team C-USA player, and to me I don't see it. I would honestly think he could be a nice DT. He is a big body kid and long as well. We also need to realize that while we lost a lot of experience at some key spots like WR (Goree, Buyers, TT, Robinson, Wilson), LB (Finney and Scott), and DB (Gray and Davis) we do have talent guys to come in and replace them. Guyton should give us a boost, a full year of Rico as well and Smiley turned it on late as well. Garner played well in Scotts absence last year with Ej hopefully being able to play solid as well. Hall and Muhammad should step in and play to replace Gray and Davis, but these are likely the biggest questions spots outside of OL and Punter. 

I do think having the Lamar game for the first game of the year is huge. We saw this team come out last year and make mistakes and probably play to amped up for the SMU game. Lamar should be a game that we can play and get the 1st game hype out of the way and get these kid playing confident going into SMU. Honestly, hoping for a big W vs Lamar to build momentum going into SMU. With that being said, hopefully Brooks/Jenks can shut down or help prevent Sutton from having a big game would go a long way to helping. 

Sorry for the long story/post.. GMG

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Pearson for him to learn the offense, Johnson to get bigger, Darden to learn and develop as a WR (similar to what Griffin did), White to put on LBs, the OL kids for them to get a year in the offense and a year in the weight room. Siggers I think is the most ready of the incoming Freshman but hopefully the depth at RB allows him to RS, with us having Wilson, Smith, Tucker, Wyche, and the SFA kid

I disagree with you on that one. Darden has been playing WR in 7 on 7 camps for the last two years. He can catch, is shifty as hell and can run.

I honestly think Darden and Evan Johnson will get a lot of playing time this year. You can't teach that kind of agility. Here's a good video of Darden from Rivals last year

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I disagree with you on that one. Darden has been playing WR in 7 on 7 camps for the last two years. He can catch, is shifty as hell and can run.

I honestly think Darden and Evan Johnson will get a lot of playing time this year. You can't teach that kind of agility. Here's a good video of Darden from Rivals last year

Darden and Johnson i think are mostly are behind guys that have been in the offense for a year. Johnson isn't he similar to Smith/Wyche in terms of style? and Darden with Griffin? I would say if so, give them a year if they can, but if they are that talented (compared to what we currently have) play them a lot and often

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Again, we have three winnable OOC games:  Lamar, SMU, and Army.  Iowa...no chance.  If we lose to both SMU and Army, it is a huge problem.

If we struggle with reformulated UAB and new-QB'd Southern Miss to round out September, the die will have been cast on another losing season.

Hearing people bitch about losing to uTSA reminds me of people here that refused to believe we were not going to get beat by Belt teams in the years after the SBC title run ended in 2004. We miraculously beat them once--because their 5th string QB had to play in the second half of our game here in 2015. Right now, they are just better than us. I give us a fighting chance of winning against them this season only because we are playing them in Denton.

I still think we get 6 wins against this schedule. If we win 5, that's ok. But anything less than 4 probably means we are in for a long tenure of having SL here because of that contract extension.

Edited by untjim1995

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Again, we have three winnable OOC games:  Lamar, SMU, and Army.  Iowa...no chance.  If we lose to both SMU and Army, it is a huge problem.

If we struggle with reformulated UAB and new-QB'd Southern Miss to round out September, the die will have been cast on another losing season.

If we lose to UAB, I'm putting both feet on the sailboat and waving good-bye. A loss to them would dictate a very bad year and an almost guranteed disastrous 2018 recruiting class.They are coming into the season with virtually an entire roster of 0 FBS experience. 

And, if we get the kind of improvement that Seth Littrell's offense usually sees in year 2, I wouldn't quite write us off vs Iowa. They are a team that doesn't like playing from behind, and if an offensive explosion happens, we COULD compete. Call me crazy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

You dumb f*cks really need to get off your high horse with UTSA.  They made a bowl game, they are in a MAJOR Texas city.  That area is exploding, and Im sorry they have a great recruiter.  Kids dont give a shit if we have been playing football 100 more years than them.  This is 2017, kids are not the same as when you grew up....that crap doesnt matter anymore.  UTSA aint going anywhere, so just realize they are a rival from here on out.

I would love to have them on the schedule during the T-Giving game every season.  That would give me reason to go to SA every other year.  It is a great city that time of the year....

UTSA for Rival.....Fly the banner!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2017 at 8:37 PM, @UNTSportsFan said:

We've put ourselves in a position to where we can't afford to fire Littrell.. IF he were to go downhill fast , I'm afraid it would play out just like Benford's contract 

* I'm not predicting 5 straight losing seasons.. just a what if scenario 

We've certainly put ourselves in the proverbial pickle haven't we, if he can't get this thing off the ground any better than 5-7 and APRing into a bowl.

11 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

You dumb f*cks really need to get off your high horse with UTSA.  They made a bowl game, they are in a MAJOR Texas city.  That area is exploding, and Im sorry they have a great recruiter.  Kids dont give a shit if we have been playing football 100 more years than them.  This is 2017, kids are not the same as when you grew up....that crap doesnt matter anymore.  UTSA aint going anywhere, so just realize they are a rival from here on out.

Plus, UTSA doesn't have the "years/decades of losing" baggage to carry around as they sally forth.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1