18' RB Deneric Prince (Manvel) - not rated

• 1 month later...

Now rated three stars with offers from the following besides us:

ACU, Alcorn State, Kansas, Louisville, Purdue, SMU, Southern and UCLA.  Man, I hate that we offer these kids with no other FCS schools after them.

Now adds an A&M offer and looks to be leaning towards College Station.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

It’s crazy how recruiting works sometimes and Manvel running back Deneric Prince is a perfect example of how quickly things can change for a prospect. In early April, the three-star prospect was picking up offers from programs like Southern University, Abilene Christian and North Texas.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Article/Deneric-Prince-discusses-his-commitment-to-Texas-AM-53102743

On 5/2/2017 at 0:38 PM, UNTLifer said:

6'2" 200 lbs.

Holds three other offers, ACU, Southern and Alcorn State

http://247sports.com/player/deneric-prince-46041069

Nice highlights.  Surprised he doesn't have more offers.

May 1st 

GMG.com reaction. "Omg why are we offering an unrated rb with no FBS offers." 

22 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Committed to TAMU

June 9th 

200_s.gif

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

May 1st 

GMG.com reaction. "Omg why are we offering an unrated rb with no FBS offers." 

June 9th 

200_s.gif

Except that no one said anything like that, except for Lifer, who said so with tongue-in-cheek.

AGAIN,  the issue is not with jumping on a kid early.  THAT IS A GOOD THING!!!

The problem is at the end of the recruiting cycle when the only kids who sign with us are players with only offers from FCS schools.   While all of the other kids we were on early got more offers, and sign elsewhere.
Or, we get commitments from "project" guys ("project guys" are the ones that "need to put on some weight", "will really benefit from a redshirt year", etc...) with one other FCS offer.

Please understand the vast difference.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Please understand the vast difference.

The post was 110% sarcasm. But I will try my best to understand the vast difference. 

The point here is if Deneric would have committed on may 1st people on the board would have bitched. I am going to trust Seth and company recruiting and evaluation until they prove to me they can't recognize talent. Because alot of D1 programs trust Seth and Co. Evaluations. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

The post was 110% sarcasm. But I will try my best to understand the vast difference. 

The point here is if Deneric would have committed on may 1st people on the board would have bitched. I am going to trust Seth and company recruiting and evaluation until they prove to me they can't recognize talent. Because alot of D1 programs trust Seth and Co. Evaluations. 

I'm genuinely curious as to what you mean by this. Do you mean FCS D1? FBS? Do coaches wait to offer until we do because they're that much better than other staffs identifying talent?(Looking at you Tulsa).

I promise I'm not being sarcastic. I just don't know what you mean

Just now, MGNation92 said:

I'm genuinely curious as to what you mean by this. Do you mean FCS D1? FBS? Do coaches wait to offer until we do because they're that much better than other staffs identifying talent?(Looking at you Tulsa).

I promise I'm not being sarcastic. I just don't know what you mean

I am saying the number of kids who have zero contact with other coaches. Seth and co come in and offer. Or visit with kid. Then within next week kid has heard from Texas State, Boise State, Houston and Tulsa.. it happens alot more than people realize. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am saying the number of kids who have zero contact with other coaches. Seth and co come in and offer. Or visit with kid. Then within next week kid has heard from Texas State, Boise State, Houston and Tulsa.. it happens alot more than people realize. 

Makes me curious as to why these kids don't have any contact? Seems like those with talent, even in the most remote situations, would still get contacted.

I mean there's a kid in Seminole, Texas(middle of nowhere) that got numerous P5 offers and is committed to UT. This day in age it's incredible that anyone would get overlooked

• Downvote 1

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Makes me curious as to why these kids don't have any contact? Seems like those with talent, even in the most remote situations, would still get contacted.

I mean there's a kid in Seminole, Texas(middle of nowhere) that got numerous P5 offers and is committed to UT. This day in age it's incredible that anyone would get overlooked

Davian ford, Terrance Lott so on and so on. They are out there. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

As a coach, after we talk about kids ability with recruiter almost EVERY time first question is does he have any offers.  If the answer is no not yet then they ask why not.  Jaxon Gibbs perfect example.  Illinois loved him, but we're worried because no one offered.  Bowling green same thing their Safety coach came to practice watched him and called the D.C. And wanted to offer right away. It happens, I'm not saying Seth and co are end all be all, but they can identify talent just gotta get em committed and stay committed.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

This is what I wonder sometimes about recruits who go to mid/lower level P5's where they will be a "little fish in a Big Pond" versus coming to a G5 (let's say UNT) where they could be the "Big fish in a smaller pond" and get playing time sooner.

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

True, and I would be upset if he had committed to a CUSA school, but this is A&M and the SEC.

AMEN! Not saying we can't be mad he didn't pick UNT, but playing in the SEC is very hard to turn down.

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is what I wonder sometimes about recruits who go to mid/lower level P5's where they will be a "little fish in a Big Pond" versus coming to a G5 (let's say UNT) where they could be the "Big fish in a smaller pond" and get playing time sooner.

Because Kids think that they have to go to a p5 to be drafted... NFL looks at college game tape, and that is why we have seen the likes of 30-40+ underclassman every year declare for the draft think they will be drafted and go undrafted. I think the Cowboys drafted a kid in the 6th or 7th RD this year from Ohio State that was a RS Soph and 20 years old. 

The more tape you have the better, and UNT and the G5 need to preach this to kids. Look at the likes of Rivers, Big Ben, Culter, Romo, and many more. They didn't play at power programs, but they played for 4 years.