MGB: UNT releases football schedule, thoughts

Brett Vito

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Army has never played at Apogee.  They were here in 2009 when we were under Dodge, and everyone knew we weren't going anywhere.   Again, we'll see.

Or we could schedule comparable to our conference mates and actually have a real shot at a sellout.

53 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

The quickest way(and maybe the only) to sell out Apogee is by bringing in an in-state P5 Texas school. RV was scared to do that as per the Kuehne Report. Let's see if Wren is ready to get the big boys in town. We may have a 50-50 crowd in those games(apparently that's what RV was afraid of) but so what.

RV was lazy and counted on whoring his players to make budget. Anything else he said was spin.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Or we could schedule comparable to our conference mates and actually have a real shot at a sellout.

We won't have an opportunity to do this until 2021 (I think)... unless WB is able to wiggle out of some contracts, but I'm not holding my breath.     Thanks RV.

Now, if the same body-bag/FCS continues past then, then I'll be worried.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We won't have an opportunity to do this until 2021 (I think)... unless WB is able to wiggle out of some contracts, but I'm not holding my breath.     Thanks RV.

Now, if the same body-bag/FCS continues past then, then I'll be worried.

Contracts can be broken. It's a strong indication we made the wrong hire if Baker can't get out of some of these awful contracts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Contracts can be broken. It's a strong indication we made the wrong hire if Baker can't get out of some of these awful contracts.

Sure!   But we don't know what kinds of penalties were written-in.  Right now, he's still having to drum-up financial support outside of the McCarney & Peterson buy-outs.  I bet if those were not strapping the AD budget, it would be easier to get out of those deals & pay the penalties.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sure!   But we don't know what kinds of penalties were written-in.  Right now, he's still having to drum-up financial support outside of the McCarney & Peterson buy-outs.  I bet if those were not strapping the AD budget, it would be easier to get out of those deals & pay the penalties.

If we didn't hire someone with the ability to figure a way out of the mess that RV was allowed to create, we made the wrong hire, plain and simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

23 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If we didn't hire someone with the ability to figure a way out of the mess that RV was allowed to create, we made the wrong hire, plain and simple.

Well yeah, that's a factual, but a very general statement. If he can't turn this ship around, then obviously it's the wrong hire, but he's been here 6 months.

Baker couldn't get us out of a 2017 schedule (that I assume you mean Lamar) in 6 months. Hasn't turned around financials in 6 months (that we know of any new big donations). 

To use you against you, we don't know what we have yet, we can't predict his success since he has just got here. I want to see who he hires for MBB, that's a more tangible (and quick) measure of his abilities since that is just around the corner. 

There is evidence (on Twitter) of him looking at replacement options. One of those tweets included scheduling Syracuse for either 2017 or 2018, and I recall it was talked about on this board (while people knocked Syracuse, of course).

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Well yeah, that's a factual, but a very general statement. If he can't turn this ship around, then obviously it's the wrong hire, but he's been here 6 months.

Baker couldn't get us out of a 2017 schedule (that I assume you mean Lamar) in 6 months. Hasn't turned around financials in 6 months (that we know of any new big donations). 

To use you against you, we don't know what we have yet, we can't predict his success since he has just got here. I want to see who he hires for MBB, that's a more tangible (and quick) measure of his abilities since that is just around the corner. 

There is evidence (on Twitter) of him looking at replacement options. One of those tweets included scheduling Syracuse for either 2017 or 2018, and I recall it was talked about on this board (while people knocked Syracuse, of course).

I'm not judging him for this year, but I do not like the narrative of Army made out to be some P5-esqe school that will fill Apogee. They won't.

i will judge him harshly if he can't fix the schedule before 2022.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

What is awful about our schedule? We are playing a game we should win[Lamar], one we could win[SMU], and one we need the stars to align in order to win,[Iowa]. We have, and always will play at least one body bag game a year until alumni are no longer all mouth and no money.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I'm not judging him for this year, but I do not like the narrative of Army made out to be some P5-esqe school that will fill Apogee. They won't.

Gotcha. 

While I enjoy watching us play them, we've definitely hamstrung ourselves scheduling a long series between SMU and Army, so I am eager to see what we can schedule at home in the future.

17 minutes ago, wardly said:

What is awful about our schedule? We are playing a game we should win[Lamar], one we could win[SMU], and one we need the stars to align in order to win,[Iowa]. We have, and always will play at least one body bag game a year until alumni are no longer all mouth and no money.

Trust me, the alumni who are no money don't give a crap who we play or don't play. And that's about 98% of the alumni. Too bad UNT spent the last 15 years whoring and not trying to get them involved.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Trust me, the alumni who are no money don't give a crap who we play or don't play. And that's about 98% of the alumni. Too bad UNT spent the last 15 years whoring and not trying to get them involved.

Ten years out, but it's a start:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012717aab.html

8 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

It's a very good start. 

Remember how the typical RV shills who are still shilling on the basketball board for Benford said this couldn't be done? That teams like Tech had no reason to come to Denton? 

Wake up, UNT fans. These are the things that are possible if you just freaking try.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

The hardest thing to get out of is the need for the bodybag game by these G5s, especially us. They just make so much money for the school that every institution who can get them will continue to depend on them for the payout. The hard reality here is that with a P5 road game has to come the reality of either a FCS home game to balance it out or accept a 5 game home schedule. Again, if that is your choice, then the best case scenario, to me, is to take advantage of having a long series with SMU (assuming they won't buy it out) and play a bigger name OOC opponent on the road in the years we play in Dallas, which gives us only 5 home games, 6 true road games, and a game in Dallas where we are half the stadium. The payoff comes the next year, when you get SMU and the OOC big name at Apogee, while playing at Army and P5 bodybag.

I still feel that the FCS game, for us in our current situation, is just not helpful. It takes away funds that we apparently desperately need because of the bodybag games, it makes us play a team that nobody gives one flip about in the general fanbase and media, and you are playing a team that either is just incredibly bad (Nicholls State) or you play a team that can beat you and create a horrible black eye (or in the case of Portland State, a complete bludgeoning and colossal embarrassment). I don't see the upside for our program with teams like this, and I ESPECIALLY don't see the value it gives to the UNT fan, who has to give up $$$ and time for us to play someone that doesn't help the school at all. Just my opinion, obviously, but I will never attend a UNT game against a FCS school--and I'd feel the same if I was a fan of any FBS school that plays them. For 99% of the time, its just a scrimmage for the FBS team. We are just not at a place where we can afford to play teams that don't move the needle with fans or media, not to mention the cost for bringing them in.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The hardest thing to get out of is the need for the bodybag game by these G5s, especially us. They just make so much money for the school that every institution who can get them will continue to depend on them for the payout. The hard reality here is that with a P5 road game has to come the reality of either a FCS home game to balance it out or accept a 5 game home schedule. Again, if that is your choice, then the best case scenario, to me, is to take advantage of having a long series with SMU (assuming they won't buy it out) and play a bigger name OOC opponent on the road in the years we play in Dallas, which gives us only 5 home games, 6 true road games, and a game in Dallas where we are half the stadium. The payoff comes the next year, when you get SMU and the OOC big name at Apogee, while playing at Army and P5 bodybag.

I still feel that the FCS game, for us in our current situation, is just not helpful. It takes away funds that we apparently desperately need because of the bodybag games, it makes us play a team that nobody gives one flip about in the general fanbase and media, and you are playing a team that either is just incredibly bad (Nicholls State) or you play a team that can beat you and create a horrible black eye (or in the case of Portland State, a complete bludgeoning and colossal embarrassment). I don't see the upside for our program with teams like this, and I ESPECIALLY don't see the value it gives to the UNT fan, who has to give up $$$ and time for us to play someone that doesn't help the school at all. Just my opinion, obviously, but I will never attend a UNT game against a FCS school--and I'd feel the same if I was a fan of any FBS school that plays them. For 99% of the time, its just a scrimmage for the FBS team. We are just not at a place where we can afford to play teams that don't move the needle with fans or media, not to mention the cost for bringing them in.

The upside is easy:
(1) It gets you closer to six wins (five if your kids have taken care of business in the classroom), which buys you
(2) extra practice time - like a second set of spring practices, according to our own, current coaching staff.
(3) Allows you a game, early in the season, preferably first, where you can have a margin of error with new starters and scheme tweaks that doesn't cause a loss.
(4) Allows to coaches to know early what parts of the scheme need the most work/tweaking before getting too far into the season to correct.

If it weren't worth doing, schools wouldn't do it.  But, as demonstrated last year, over 100 of the FBS schools do it...so, it's not unusual.  Here, we simply joined the normal flow of scheduling. 

This a great scheduling, on par with what nearly every other school - P5 and G5 - does.  Great foresight.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 1/27/2017 at 0:07 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The upside is easy:
(1) It gets you closer to six wins (five if your kids have taken care of business in the classroom), which buys you
(2) extra practice time - like a second set of spring practices, according to our own, current coaching staff.
(3) Allows you a game, early in the season, preferably first, where you can have a margin of error with new starters and scheme tweaks that doesn't cause a loss.
(4) Allows to coaches to know early what parts of the scheme need the most work/tweaking before getting too far into the season to correct.

If it weren't worth doing, schools wouldn't do it.  But, as demonstrated last year, over 100 of the FBS schools do it...so, it's not unusual.  Here, we simply joined the normal flow of scheduling. 

This a great scheduling, on par with what nearly every other school - P5 and G5 - does.  Great foresight.

Still defending the defenseless position of supporting a hustler, I see.,

Again, what are the schools other home games? You NEVER, EVER bring that up because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

Its like your an attorney or something...

On 1/27/2017 at 10:01 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

I love the Tech series but this year's schedule is perfect for a breakout year. Be careful what you wish for.

If you are scared to play that game, just drop down like TFLF wants to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You can be such a beating sometimes, and sometimes you make so much sense.  I can't figure you out.  Good lord, give the dude SOME time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You can be such a beating sometimes, and sometimes you make so much sense.  I can't figure you out.  Good lord, give the dude SOME time. 

I think it's pretty clear I am. I'm just pointing out what needs to be addressed. 

People are on here saying they are afraid to play Tech. In 10 years. At Apogee. 

I mean, if that's your standard, why the F even follow this program? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2