WANT TO SEE A REAL FOOTBALL BAND?

SilverEagle

12 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Really?   Of all things to take a passive aggressive shot at our school you choose this SMH.  Send an e-mail to the director of the band and make a suggestion for next year.   This is extremely counter productive.

He has. On numerous occasions, I'm sure. 

We have the most comfortable band in the land. Comfortable taking the field pre-game at a leisurely, disorganized pace. Comfortable in shorts and t-shirts. 

Yes, the music is good. The commitment to entertaining an audience of alums, many of whom weren't music majors and don't recognize the "quality" of music, is pedestrian at best. 

I was really hoping the laissez faire approach to this portion of game day would have changed starting yesterday. Disappointing. 

Did I miss anything, Silver?

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 8

Most exciting band in the country? I would imagine Grambling might have something to say about that.

Speaking of suggestions, a few years ago, I sent a letter to the then band Director (don't remember his name) and seriously suggested that the band change from the "traditional" band uni, to a more "contemporary" if you will, uniform consisting of a dark green sports coat, with white shirt, green tie, black pants and topped off with a black fedora, ala the Blues Brothers. Include sun glasses, of course. I'm sure it was not taken seriously, but I think it would be very cool and would be a tribute to our jazz heritage.

Just one man's opinion.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Passive aggressive? There isn't anything that I have said or posted about our very underachieving Marching Band that I haven't sent directly to Dr. Williams, and now his boss Dr. Richmond. 

And at one of our last Tulsa games at Fouts, Tulsa brought a "pep band" that made a bigger sound than the Green Brigade. Several fans sitting around me made a comment about it. As I was walking across the field to leave I decided to give that information directly to Dr. Williams. I was dismissed with a curt "thank you for your input". 

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

He has. On numerous occasions, I'm sure. 

We have the most comfortable band in the land. Comfortable taking the field pre-game at a leisurely, disorganized pace. Comfortable in shorts and t-shirts. 

Yes, the music is good. The commitment to entertaining an audience of alums, many of whom weren't music majors and don't recognize the "quality" of music, is pedestrian at best. 

I was really hoping the laissez faire approach to this portion of game day would have changed starting yesterday. Disappointing. 

Did I miss anything, Silver?

Nope, good description of what "underachieving" is. 

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Why do you insist on making the Green Brigade into something it's not?

Because they had no business making themselves into a self-serving-we'll-amuse-ourselves-while-enduring-having-to-go-to-football-games Band, instead of being a REAL FOOTBALL BAND. Which they used to be once upon a time.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 6

9 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Because they had no business making themselves into a self-serving-we'll-amuse-ourselves-while-enduring-having-to-go-to-football-games Band, instead of being a REAL FOOTBALL BAND. Which they used to be once upon a time.

The Band Director sets the tone for the organization, so you'll have to take your beef up with him. Posting here has little to no effect on how the Green Brigade is run.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

18 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

PBecause they had no business making themselves into a self-serving-we'll-amuse-ourselves-while-enduring-having-to-go-to-football-games Band, instead of being a REAL FOOTBALL BAND. Which they used to be once upon a time.

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The Band Director sets the tone for the organization, so you'll have to take your beef up with him. Posting here has little to no effect on how the Green Brigade is run.

Yes they need to be revamped.  Maybe if we paid to have Bethune Cookman, Grambling, or Praire View bands to come along with their teams hear maybe they would be embarrassed enough to put more energy into the production.  I can see the band being reduce by 1/3 to have smaller more energetic band happier to perform and get the crowd hyped.  That is one of the problems with our FCS scheduling they usually don't bring a good band with them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Around here they do......unfortunately. But do you think that anyone hired as the new Band director at Ohio State, Ohio University, Texas A$M, UT, or OU  bands would be allowed to change ONE THING about those Bands traditions or the energy they bring to the field on game day?

All those bands are all about their school and bringing energy to the game.....and game day.  Not performing a new and interesting concert series based on the music of the Wizard of Oz......well done as it might be. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yes they need to be revamped.  Maybe if we paid to have Bethune Cookman, Grambling, or Praire View bands to come along with their teams hear maybe they would be embarrassed enough to put more energy into the production.  I can see the band being reduce by 1/3 to have smaller more energetic band happier to perform and get the crowd hyped.  That is one of the problems with our FCS scheduling they usually don't bring a good band with them.

I don't care for the style Grambling and Prairie View bands put on for a show. It's similar to what Texas Southern did.

• Upvote 5

I left my band feedback in the post game survey.  One thing that annoys me most is in the 4th quarter when they like to play one of the musical cheers (I don't know what you call them) and stop short.  I'm not talking about stopping because play is resuming, but when they do it over and over again in succession and stop at different parts.  I think the band's purpose during the game is to get the fans and the players fired up.  This doesn't do that.  It's a distraction and just comes across as though the director has gotten bored and decides to try to be cute.  I don't like it.  @SilverEagle, thoughts on this? 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I left my band feedback in the post game survey.  One thing that annoys me most is in the 4th quarter when they like to play one of the musical cheers (I don't know what you call them) and stop short.  I'm not talking about stopping because play is resuming, but when they do it over and over again in succession and stop at different parts.  I think the band's purpose during the game is to get the fans and the players fired up.  This doesn't do that.  It's a distraction and just comes across as though the director has gotten bored and decides to try to be cute.  I don't like it.  @SilverEagle, thoughts on this? 

To me, the quick partial blurbs of the cheer prompts is an attempt to disrupt the concentration of the opposing players....hopefully the QB. I like it. 

What I dislike is that "march of doom" sounding thing they constantly play when the opposition has the ball. I assume it's intended to give the opposing team a musical beat down. But, to me, it has the effect of beating down the fans as well......kind of like chemotherapy.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Around here they do......unfortunately. But do you think that anyone hired as the new Band director at Ohio State, Ohio University, Texas A$M, UT, or OU  bands would be allowed to change ONE THING about those Bands traditions or the energy they bring to the field on game day?

All those bands are all about their school and bringing energy to the game.....and game day.  Not performing a new and interesting concert series based on the music of the Wizard of Oz......well done as it might be. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This times 1,000!

• Upvote 5

Silver

36 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This times 1,000!

Hey DeepGreen!

Silver Eagle knows his college marching bands.  I will not disagree with most all he ever says about the subject, either.  

Now if I can just get him from trying to convert me to the Democratic National Party he'd be just fine! :huh:          (JUST KIDDIN', BILL, JUST KIDDIN')! 

The Green Brigade is a unique band insasmuch as its a concert band with legs.  They do put out some nice concert sounds, but I'd rather listen to that kind of thing at the Murchison Performing Arts Center.    I'm with Silver Eagle with the kind of college marching band I'd like to see at Apogee. 

When we hosted the Houston Cougars in 1975 at Texas Stadium (AND BEAT THEM 28 TO ZIP BY THE WAY)  I was duly impressed with the UH Cougar Marching Band with how they all but ran onto the football field at halftime.  Back then they had a high stepping drum major with his strut and head slanted 45 degrees backwards.  Impressive back then but would probably only draw howls & sarcastic wolf whistles from stadiums today. 

GMG!

PS:  Unless I'm in the midst of a diabetic coma I'm 99% sure I'll  be at Apogee this Saturday.  Been missing what I spent much of my life enjoying & have missed seeing so many of yall----ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE! :)

POWDER BC & COME BACK STRONG!

• Upvote 6

Good post Silver.

Right after a Mean Green March two years ago I politely asked the director why they can't at least march into the stadium and he said "We just don't have time to work on it".  I said.."But.......your already doing it right now.  Why not just march into the stadium to this cool drum beat that your doing RIGHT NOW?"  And he just walked off.

I don't get it and I guess I never will?

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There is plenty of time. I was in the band from 95-97, nick was my drum major one year. We had a 3 hour practice Monday night, then 1 hour or so every t-f...plenty of time to learn drill. Hell, we did 3 different shows a year, plus pregame...he knows there is time...it's all about how you use that time

Class/practice was not spent on music, that was done on our own time...class was for drill

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Always good to hear from Plumm!

Harry!   (Not now but call when you have a moment & mostly to catch me up).

As much as I hate to admit it, I am still a plethora of totally useless information & data (but can come up with a few little known historical gems from time to time but.....that comes with, uh, age?  Plummer clan have been in Texas since 1833 so I might just be getting started?  Sorry, Harry!  LOL! 

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Why do you insist on making the Green Brigade into something it's not?

23's answer to everything North Texas is right here.

UNT is historically a losing football program. Why making it something it isn't? 

Good Lord. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Silver

Hey DeepGreen!

Silver Eagle knows his college marching bands.  I will not disagree with most all he ever says about the subject, either.  

Now if I can just get him from trying to convert me to the Democratic National Party he'd be just fine! :huh:          (JUST KIDDIN', BILL, JUST KIDDIN')! 

The Green Brigade is a unique band insasmuch as its a concert band with legs.  They do put out some nice concert sounds, but I'd rather listen to that kind of thing at the Murchison Performing Arts Center.    I'm with Silver Eagle with the kind of college marching band I'd like to see at Apogee. 

When we hosted the Houston Cougars in 1975 at Texas Stadium (AND BEAT THEM 28 TO ZIP BY THE WAY)  I was duly impressed with the UH Cougar Marching Band with how they all but ran onto the football field at halftime.  Back then they had a high stepping drum major with his strut and head slanted 45 degrees backwards.  Impressive back then but would probably only draw howls & sarcastic wolf whistles from stadiums today. 

GMG!

PS:  Unless I'm in the midst of a diabetic coma I'm 99% sure I'll  be at Apogee this Saturday.  Been missing what I spent much of my life enjoying & have missed seeing so many of yall----ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE! :)

POWDER BC & COME BACK STRONG!

Plummer, I really look forward to visiting with you Saturday. 

• Upvote 1