Morris & Fine

MeanGreenWithEnvy

Morris had zip on the ball the with a quick release at the scrimmage I went to. I am guessing he has not started a game in nearly 5 years it might be some gameday rust. At the moment Fine is the future of this program. so Morris is here to help the transition. 

28 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

I just watched Littrell's post-game presser again, and got the feeling he is torn on his QB situation. I think maybe Fine is out-performing everyone in practice and Seth wants to know if that will translate to game speed, but that "don't play a freshman QB" thing is stuck in the back of his mind. He mentioned the competition aspect, but I just think he's worried about injuring his future QB. Be interesting to watch...

I wonder if he watched any of the Texas game last night...the one where the team led by a true freshman QB beat the #10 team in the country.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I wonder if he watched any of the Texas game last night...the one where the team led by a true freshman QB beat the #10 team in the country.  

Good game. Too bad Texas won. But, yeah, play the player that gives us the best chance to win game to game. I say play them both the remainder of the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

It may be hard for a coach to have time to watch much football during the season. @dd992emo said it best as "torn". The good news is that this staff has demonstrated that they'll play the best guy regardless of background. 

Buechele was Texas' best option, and while I know that he was a highly rated recruit, he and Fine do possess similarities in their style. 

9 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

It may be hard for a coach to have time to watch much football during the season. @dd992emo said it best as "torn". The good news is that this staff has demonstrated that they'll play the best guy regardless of background. 

Buechele was Texas' best option, and while I know that he was a highly rated recruit, he and Fine do possess similarities in their style. 

And Buechele is only 6'1".

Fine came in and was a little field general out there.   Barking commands to the entire offense, and they respected him.   I liked it.

However...   He faced virtually zero blitzes and conservative-almost-prevent secondary that late in the game, so lots of underneath & mid-range stuff was open.  Nevermind that it was mostly SMU's second-string defense in there.  I like the way he plays though, and am intrigued to see more.   Got confused there at the very end taking some bad sacks... but he was keeping his eyes downfield instead of bailing on the play... and I like that.    

Morris was erratic.   Threw the ball with tons of zip when it wasnt necessary.   Threw the ball with touch when they needed more zip (on WR bubble screens, short out routes, etc...).   HOLDING THE BALL WAAAAY TOO LONG.    That needs to get corrected quick if he's going to remain the starter.

• Upvote 1

Personally I was really impressed with Fines first outing, and then really let down by his second drive. I think we should give Morris time until at least the Florida game (while also giving some reps to Fine in either game). With playing an FCS and then a good P5 we should then know exactly what his ceiling and floor are before we go into conference play. If I am particularly afraid for Fines health in any game, it would be the Florida game.

Fine's second drive may not have been impressive, but I doubt any QB could have don better with basically no blocking.  SMU put the pressure on, and NT just could not stop them.

I'm not sure when was the last time, there were not a segment of NT fans calling for a QB change.   Even Thompson's senior year, most of the schedule was over before many decided that he just might be doing a good job.  

Morris's start was rough and Fine's was promising.  I think either QB is better than anything NT has trotted out since Thompson.   Morris will continue to start and should, however if he doesn't improve; there is no reason not to go with the future and Fine.    

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, greenjoe said:

PLUMM MEAN GREEN is back ????

Where have you been ?  Good to hear from you again.  See you at a game ?

GO MEAN GREEN

Judge Joe!  Plan on being there Saturday.  It's wedding season for DJ's, but I have this weekend off.                                                                               My business website:   www.soundworksdeejay.com

:Bang: POWDER BC!  COME BACK STRONG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen