Takeaways

Matt from A700

• Another game, another plethora of missed tackles. Wrapping up is a fundamental. This is what the defense needs to drill drill drill on this week!
  • We cannot keep putting ourselves into 17-0, 21-0, or 24-0 holes. It's like the game doesn't start for us until the second quarter, or until the other team scores. I'm tired of having to play comeback all the time.
  • This is not Canadian football, the defense needs to step up on third down as well! I don't think I'm ever going to live down that 3rd and 45 conversion...
  • Morris, while definitely can be better, is by far an improvement at the QB position. I wasn't a student yet for Derek Thompson so y'all can make that comparison on who's better but it'll be nice to finally have a QB who finishes with over 200+ passing yards every game, although wins are obviously the most important stat.
  • Attendance was even more than I predicted, but now it'll be interesting to see how much of that is maintained after a Week 1 loss. Especially when most students haven't even heard of the next opponent. Sitting in the student section, it was apparent we were coming off a 1-11 season. My fellow classmates seemed a little sluggish and were quick to quiet down after the 17-0 start.
  • WE NEED TO PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.
  • Is this the third straight year we've played Davis? UNT should know that this guy can run... we've got to be more prepared than that.
Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I was really disappointed in Morris.  Missed toops many open receivers.  Both interceptions were bad passes.  Couldn'tmove the team in the second half.  Fine showed his skills in the second half.

Liked Fine's performance, but after his first completion most of his passes were 5-7 yard gains which wasn't good for time purposes. Did anyone pay attention on whether he was against SMU's second team defense though?

1 minute ago, Matt from A700 said:

Liked Fine's performance, but after his first completion most of his passes were 5-7 yard gains which wasn't good for time purposes. Did anyone pay attention on whether he was against SMU's second team defense though?

Someone said their best pass rusher (Lawler?) was still in, so there is that.  I just think overall his performance looked sharper, and his mobility helps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt from A700 said:

Yes! Very frustrated with Morris's discomfort out of the pocket.

Morris was getting lit up like a Christmas tree every other snap, we couldn't run the ball so their DL got to tee off (plus added blitzes) 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Morris did as expected. 1st game team chemistry isn't there yet. Fine played well in garbaget ime in his 1st series.... not so much in his second. When the pocket collapsed he had trouble seeing over the o-line. Morris will be just fine. 1 game in, let's give it some time. 

Like it was said early....receivers have to move TOWARDS the ball. They shouldn't be beaten to the by the corners.

26 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Morris was getting lit up like a Christmas tree every other snap, we couldn't run the ball so their DL got to tee off (plus added blitzes) 

Thanks for getting it.   I saw Morris make throws that I haven't seen in a long time here.    There were a lot of tight windows where he put the ball on the money and it required arm strength to get there..     He did miss a couple of wide open receivers who could have had big plays.  But, he was also under some heavy pressure.

I am really shocked at all the negativity regarding Morris.   After the last 2 years of really horrid QB play here, I would have thought people would be a little more patient.   The guy was still 24/39 for 237.   The 3 picks really hurt his passer rating.   Morris is going to have some big games IMO.  And, of course Fine gives us some hope for the future

I had low expectations coming into this year.   Frankly, I actually feel a little better about this team than I did going into the game.      Big plays really hurt us.    Giving up a 3rd and 45 TD and a 92 yard TD (on 3rd and 11) will kill anybody's momentum.     Those are freak plays that should not happen.      Tweak a few things and we should at least be a very competitive team this year.  That is building momentum, which is exactly what I want to see this year.  

Courtland Sutton has NFL caliber WR potential.   He abused us tonight on just 4 catches.

• Upvote 6

I thought this was better and more fun to watch than last season after the first half... But then our continued inability to score was really discouraging. My expectation was if we gave up 30 we might be able to score 40 or more. Doesn't look like that is the case. In this offense, you have to score a lot. Offense was better than last season, but that's not saying much. Defense is unimproved at best. Call me disappointed but could just be post-game blues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:
  • Another game, another plethora of missed tackles. Wrapping up is a fundamental. This is what the defense needs to drill drill drill on this week!
  • We cannot keep putting ourselves into 17-0, 21-0, or 24-0 holes. It's like the game doesn't start for us until the second quarter, or until the other team scores. I'm tired of having to play comeback all the time.
  • This is not Canadian football, the defense needs to step up on third down as well! I don't think I'm ever going to live down that 3rd and 45 conversion...
  • Morris, while definitely can be better, is by far an improvement at the QB position. I wasn't a student yet for Derek Thompson so y'all can make that comparison on who's better but it'll be nice to finally have a QB who finishes with over 200+ passing yards every game, although wins are obviously the most important stat.
  • Attendance was even more than I predicted, but now it'll be interesting to see how much of that is maintained after a Week 1 loss. Especially when most students haven't even heard of the next opponent. Sitting in the student section, it was apparent we were coming off a 1-11 season. My fellow classmates seemed a little sluggish and were quick to quiet down after the 17-0 start.
  • WE NEED TO PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.
  • Is this the third straight year we've played Davis? UNT should know that this guy can run... we've got to be more prepared than that.

Qb play far above what we have seen the last few years ! An out pattern from the opposite hash?? I don't think I have ever seen that. On 2 picks rec needed to be more aggressive to the ball. Third , Alec got hit. Very dissatisfied we did not game plan to contain the Qb.. This was the number 1 goal for me. Second 1/2 was better, but he killed us first half. Most the game I thought they were playing their safeties deep so did that take away the deep ball? 3rd and 1 an Allie oop pass? 3rd and 45 play DB deep , keep it in front of you! I think we saw some rookie coached make mistakes! People were still there in the 4th because this offense is exciting! GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And he hasn't been hit in 4 plus years. His arm strength is underwhelming.

If you think his arm strength is the issue you are sadly mistaken.  Throwing form was definitely an issue throwing off back foot, off balance etc yes but general arm strength is not a problem for him. 

12 hours ago, mgfan said:

Morris did as expected. 1st game team chemistry isn't there yet. Fine played well in garbaget ime in his 1st series.... not so much in his second. When the pocket collapsed he had trouble seeing over the o-line. Morris will be just fine. 1 game in, let's give it some time. 

Like it was said early....receivers have to move TOWARDS the ball. They shouldn't be beaten to the by the corners.

How does a WR move to the ball when they are behind the secondary and running down field full speed?  If the ball is underthrown just a tick that WR won't be able to make a play on the ball.  Just not possible.  As for the other INT I would say they are a combination of QB throwing mechanics that took velocity off ball and OL not giving him ample time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

If you think his arm strength is the issue you are sadly mistaken.  Throwing form was definitely an issue throwing off back foot, off balance etc yes but general arm strength is not a problem for him. 

How does a WR move to the ball when they are behind the secondary and running down field full speed?  If the ball is underthrown just a tick that WR won't be able to make a play on the ball.  Just not possible.  As for the other INT I would say they are a combination of QB throwing mechanics that took velocity off ball and OL not giving him ample time. 

You move towards a ball by...... moving towards the ball.... Take a hitch or curl route. If you turn an the ball isn't in your hand you continue in the direction that. NOT stand and wait for the ball and that is what happened to us.

Screenshot_2016-09-04-12-54-56.png