North Texas now plays basketball too!

Gakusei

Maybe if even 1/4 of the people attending the football games would show up for the basketball games, we could get some energy into our current team and make future recruits think twice before passing up a Mean Green jersey.

It's kind of sad that people who followed the football team when they were not doing too well dismiss the basketball team because they are not doing well. I figured that of all people, the hardcore UNT football fans who supported the team through the bad seasons would understand the situation the basketball team is in. I suppose that it also hasn't occured to many that UNT doesn't get invited to a better conference because our other sports may not be at the level the football team is. This university needs people to support more than just the football team.

Hats off to those who support multiple UNT sports even if they aren't setting the world on fire.

It's kind of sad that people who followed the football team when they were not doing too well dismiss the basketball team because they are not doing well. I figured that of all people, the hardcore UNT football fans who supported the team through the bad seasons would understand the situation the basketball team is in. I suppose that it also hasn't occured to many that UNT doesn't get invited to a better conference because our other sports may not be at the level the football team is. This university needs people to support more than just the football team.

Hats off to those who support multiple UNT sports even if they aren't setting the world on fire.

Bone, I hope this wasn't directed at me or about 50 others on this board I personally know and have seen travel hundreds of miles to away basketball games over the many years?

Rick

Bone, I hope this wasn't directed at me or about 50 others on this board I personally know and have seen travel hundreds of miles to away basketball games over the many years?

Rick

It's directed at people who think football is the be all and end all and therefore don't support other sports. I don't know many people on this board personally, so I have no idea about most people here. However, going to games and looking at attedence for games tells a strong tale. Is that the tale we want to tell?

I like college basketball and many of the other varsity sports.  However, all the 1-A conference moves are being made based on strength of a school's football program.

Several CUSA schools were brought in the Big East fold for basketball. If you think Rice, Tulsa, or even SMU got the CUSA invite for football, you're crazy.

We need to have an emergence in basketball in the same way that we have in football. There's absolutely no excuse for why this can't happen...we have an extremely nice basketball arena, a hotbed of talent to recruit from, and membership in a conference that may not be one of the top bball conferences, but it's nowhere near the bottom.

I guarantee that if we had respectable basketball and our football program stays on track, we'd be an easy sell to almost any conference around.

Several CUSA schools were brought in the Big East fold for basketball. If you think Rice, Tulsa, or even SMU got the CUSA invite for football, you're crazy.

We need to have an emergence in basketball in the same way that we have in football. There's absolutely no excuse for why this can't happen...we have an extremely nice basketball arena, a hotbed of talent to recruit from, and membership in a conference that may not be one of the top bball conferences, but it's nowhere near the bottom.

I guarantee that if we had respectable basketball and our football program stays on track, we'd be an easy sell to almost any conference around.

Exactly. It is obvious that one thing that is holding the football program back is poor facilities. Well that excuse can't be made for basketball as we have exceptional facilities. I read an article on ESPN a couple of weeks ago that talked about how Texas was the best state for basketball and how many of those recruits are going out of state. Hopefully Jones will be able to bring in some of those players but it will be a hard sell when a prospect comes in and sees maybe a thousand people for home games.

It's directed at people who think football is the be all and end all and therefore don't support other sports

Guess what, for RIGHT NOW, Football is the "be all" and "end all" and it will remain to be until football season is over. Of course it wouldn't hurt when the day comes that we stop having to come from behind to beat NAIA non-scholarship schools and losing to the likes of the Southerns' and Lamars'. <_<

Rick

Of course it wouldn't hurt when the day comes that we stop having to come from behind to beat NAIA non-scholarship schools and losing to the likes of the Southerns' and Lamars'.

When did NAIA go to non-ship?

Yeah the team has being going through rough times lately, there is no doubt about that. But in having a well rounded university and well rounded athletic department, men's basketball needs to be on the forefront of the action, it is the second most important sport to football for any AD.

I hear stories from my dad about a packed Snake Pit and a packed Super Pit to watch great teams play for the University, and it really sucks that I haven't got to see that. I will someday as an alumni though, well will get it turned around sometime. I just hope that some of you who donate so much time and money to football even when the chips are down would at least throw basketball a bone. I know this is football and this is Texas, but the basketball team is a VERY visible part of our beloved school and needs support just like any other aspect of North Texas.

Edited by IronMan4

Guess what, for RIGHT NOW, Football is the "be all" and "end all" and it will remain to be until football season is over. Of course it wouldn't hurt when the day comes that we stop having to come from behind to beat NAIA non-scholarship schools and losing to the likes of the Southerns' and Lamars'. dry.gif

The last football game isn't even for almost 2 weeks, in which time the basketball team will play several games, both at the SP, and on the road.

The days of us beating NAIA schools, as well as low-ranked Division I schools would sure come about a lot faster if we had average attendance of 4-5k instead of 1-2k at the games.

I know that basketball isn't really a big deal in Texas, but by not showing the same interest in it as the football games, it's doing nothing but shooting ourselves in the foot as far as the conference realignment topic that keeps popping up over and over again. We better get nice and settled in the Sun Belt Conference if we're not going to make the same effort towards basketball as we do football.

Guess what, for RIGHT NOW, Football is the "be all" and "end all" and it will remain to be until football season is over. Of course it wouldn't hurt when the day comes that we stop having to come from behind to beat NAIA non-scholarship schools and losing to the likes of the Southerns' and Lamars'. dry.gif

Rick

You're right, but the football team doing great is not an excuse to ignore the basketball teams. And it wasn't too long ago when the football team was losing to some not very spectacular competition.

I hear stories from my dad about a packed Snake Pit and a packed Super Pit to watch great teams play for the University, and it really sucks that I haven't got to see that.  I will someday as an alumni though, well will get it turned around sometime.  I just hope that some of you who donate so much time and money to football even when the chips are down would at least throw basketball a bone.

I'm sure you'll see a packed Super Pit on December 29th, but it'll be way more Hoosier fans than Mean Green fans. mad.gif

I agree that more people at the games would do more for the program...

But, Basketball seems to be poorly publicized... I actually have to do some searching to find out what game is next. I don't see anything around campus about the games either..

I understand that the success of the football team has over-shadowed the basketball program but it is still hard to find.

But, Basketball seems to be poorly publicized... I actually have to do some searching to find out what game is next.  I don't see anything around campus about the games either..

Same thing happened for football. I could swear that there was a group that's supposed to help with this. ph34r.gif

You know what...I am all for being a huge football fan and all but if you truely are a member of the nation...then support all your sports...so what is NT isn't the greatest at basketball...but i guarantee if they had a little more support that would give them some sort of boost...I believe that there is One game this season that everyone should go to...Indiana....biggest name to flow through here in awhile....Show up in Green Show Up loud and hell if we get ran up and down....At least our team has some support....after the games i attended regularly last season I am dissappointed....my hgih school had more people show up to watch...granted our girls were 4 times state champions....it was HIGH SCHOOL...come on Nation....dont stop at football...we wanna get in a new conference...start supportin OTHER sports....I am not trying to be a lil jerk about this but seriously the guys wouldnt mind seeing some people there...We Need a GROUP on campus to DO SOMETHING to get the word out of when the games are....anyone got any suggestion who is responsible for that???? sorry i will step down off my soapbox...

Go Mean Green basketball

I know a whole bunch of people on this board who used to be as regular of fans at BB games as our FB games, but for some reason over the last 2 decades, North Texas cannot get this BB program jump-started and a whole lot of those fans just got tired of the wait.

Johnny Jones may be the one who brings this BB program out of the dark ages, but so far, the jury is still out. I do not understand why North Texas cannot recruit the super star BB player as we know our campus is a most diversified campus ( in every way) that such a basketball player would feel more than just comfortble on our campus. Now if other programs out there are still buying their players (which we know we aren't) then that's another story.

This board is about opinions and I am one who does NOT try to get anyone to agree with me on anything that I opinionate on, as I would hope others would do the same with the rest of us on this board. Think its also a good idea to post responses on the actual post subjects and not the poster (as I think the rules on most of these message boards sorta' suggest should not happen). Of course, if attacked by a competitor who is smacking NORTH TEXAS, happy hunting and hope you bag you one!

I do know there was a time when I looked forward to buying college BB pre-season magazines and look forward to what UNT BB would do to improve, now all I do is just glance at their covers on the magazine rack at WalMart and then go over to the Low Rider's section (just for the pictures, of course). smile.gif

It defies logic that UNT with one of the finest on-campus BB facilities in America cannot seem to turn the corner with BB, but one might look at many other very strong D1-A football programs who seem to have the same problem with their own BB program. We are not alone in all this is what I am saying.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen