Graham Harrell on the Ticket

Marty

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is the interview archived online and available for replay?

Typically you can find full shows on theunticket.com

Friday's shows might not get posted until Saturday or possibly later. It looks like they post a week of shows at a time. 

So once Friday's full Shake Joint is up, then you'd have to roll through to 4 hours into the show (making it 9:30 AM on Friday) of where Harrell's interview was around. 

• Upvote 1

FYI...the audio's available online: http://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/ 

I agree with the assessment of others on here.  I felt like there was a touch of awkwardness on the outset of the interview as all three tried to figure out how to talk football with all that's weighing on people (cut from the audio available online) .  After this was sorted through, I thought he was a pretty natural interview.  And he did well to describe the challenge of trying to put together a 2016 recruiting class on the fly.  He mentioned that the staff basically took only one break from recruiting - spring practice.  Both before and after, I got the impression that the staff has been exhausting themselves on the recruiting trail.  Regarding the assembled offensive staff, I was encouraged to hear him talk about how confident he is in his position coaches' ability to teach the system effectively.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Harrell was talking so fast it was kind of hard to follow at first.  Seemed a little nervous, but I am so pumped to see what we roll out there in the Fall.

I know Benford told us at the meeting that his practices are open to anyone that wants to watch.  Does anyone remember if Littrell offered the same for his practices?

Thanks for posting that link.  Good stuff. 

18 hours ago, Marty said:

I heard some youthful enthusiasm from Harrell, he just seems happy to be coaching! Hope this rubs off onto the team. He said when Littrell called to offer him the OC job that SL called NT a "goldmine". Liked what I heard, can't wait for football season!

That's coach speak. Every coach from Dodge forward has said a version of the same thing. He is doing what he is supposed to do to promote the program and hopefully get recruits interested (the others couldn't). 

Take it for what it is.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

On July 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM, TreeFiddy said:

Harrell was talking so fast it was kind of hard to follow at first.  Seemed a little nervous, but I am so pumped to see what we roll out there in the Fall.

I know Benford told us at the meeting that his practices are open to anyone that wants to watch.  Does anyone remember if Littrell offered the same for his practices?

This was a million times slower than the coaches clinic lol he's just a fast talking high energy guy.

• Upvote 3

I enjoyed the interview. The one disconcerting thing I heard him say was that he was shocked at how a recruit said the 2008 Tech vs Texas game was the first college football that kid watched. He said he was thinking "come on. You probably should've been watching college football before that."

I've seen the notion on here that people believe texas high school football recruits grew up watching Harrell. Current high school seniors were 9 years old during Harrell's senior season in 2008. There are not a lot of 9-year olds watching college football on Saturdays, outside of their parents' alma mater's games.

My point is I hope Harrell doesn't think his reputation with recruits, especially quarterbacks, is bigger than it really is. We've gotten 2 high school QB commitments since he's been here and they combined for one other FBS offer, from Wyoming. It's a nice ancillary tool to have when he's recruiting QBs, but it alone is not enough to win recruiting battles. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/9/2016 at 3:18 PM, BillySee58 said:

I enjoyed the interview. The one disconcerting thing I heard him say was that he was shocked at how a recruit said the 2008 Tech vs Texas game was the first college football that kid watched. He said he was thinking "come on. You probably should've been watching college football before that."

I've seen the notion on here that people believe texas high school football recruits grew up watching Harrell. Current high school seniors were 9 years old during Harrell's senior season in 2008. There are not a lot of 9-year olds watching college football on Saturdays, outside of their parents' alma mater's games.

My point is I hope Harrell doesn't think his reputation with recruits, especially quarterbacks, is bigger than it really is. We've gotten 2 high school QB commitments since he's been here and they combined for one other FBS offer, from Wyoming. It's a nice ancillary tool to have when he's recruiting QBs, but it alone is not enough to win recruiting battles. 

I agree.

You have to wonder, though, if these kids are talking about Harrell with their dads.  His TTech days are recent enough that it is probably good talk around the dinner table.

If coach Littrell and his staff can just get some positive momentum out of this first season, I think the next few years are going to bring some exciting football to Denton.    The turning around of this program is not just going to be based on wins and losses this season.    The staff is going to have to instill confidence in the kids and make them believe that good things are coming, which should spill over to the all-important recruiting 2017 recruiting season.

I am just thankful to have a youthful coaching staff who is installing a fun offense for both players and fans.    The TD era was a failure.  But, Dodge put butts in the seats and got people excited until the losses really mounted  and the blatant coaching mistakes starting becoming obvious to even the casual football fans in attendance.

33 minutes ago, akriesman said:

If coach Littrell and his staff can just get some positive momentum out of this first season, I think the next few years are going to bring some exciting football to Denton.    The turning around of this program is not just going to be based on wins and losses this season.    The staff is going to have to instill confidence in the kids and make them believe that good things are coming, which should spill over to the all-important recruiting 2017 recruiting season.

I am just thankful to have a youthful coaching staff who is installing a fun offense for both players and fans.    The TD era was a failure.  But, Dodge put butts in the seats and got people excited until the losses really mounted  and the blatant coaching mistakes starting becoming obvious to even the casual football fans in attendance.

7.5 weeks away until BBQ, Cold Beer and some FOOTBALL!

• Upvote 2