'16 CB Eric Jenkins (La Valley JUCO)

GMG24

He just pulled his commitment- not sure thats what to call it (he signed his letter of intent) to Cincinnati sounds like it was mutual, no idea why. 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Eric-Jenkins-83803/RecruitInterests

http://www.downthedrive.com/2015/7/21/9012299/cincinnati-bearcats-commitment-juco-cb-eric-jenkins

The down the drive article is off Cincinatti's SBnation page.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

On June 17, 2016 at 11:38 PM, baberuthbomber8 said:

Soooo real question is... How many guys from signing day won't be here??? 

Or how many from last year's roster will realize "There is a better opportunity at __________" and thank UNT as they head out the door.

Lots and lots of JUCOs 

• Upvote 1

The coaches know what they are doing and the level of talent on the roster has gone way up, especially on defense. We are legit 2 deep at a every position except DT and if English is eligible, we will be two deep there as well! 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

It is easy to said that a big improvement over last year's defense doesn't mean much.   However, I think the defense has the potential from going from the bottom of CUSA to near the top.   The returning defensive backfield was the best unit on the defense and team last year.  The problem was the dl and most lacking the linebackers.  

Defensive end should be strong with Dilonga, Roberts, Combs. Flusche and Johnson all having experience and capable of playing at this level.  Add Holston to this mix, and this could be as good a unit there is in CUSA.  DT is often cited as the biggest weakness on the defense, I don't think so.  Even without English, Young and Tauaalo should be an adequate one and two.  

The biggest issue next year as last year, is at linebacker.   It is difficult with this defense which features a de/lb and db/lb type to even define the linebacker position.   However, I think the success of linebacker and probably the whole defense is going to depend on how effective the transfers are.  Finney and Scott are dependable linebackers at this level and perhaps they can upgrade in their senior years.  But lb and by extension the whole defense is going to rely on the impact of transfers: Johnson, Ejodamen, Peters, Wheeler, and Derricott.  

I guess we should know shorty, who actually made it to training camp and that should begin to clarify the defensive potential.   

I'm interested in the impact the JUCOs who weren't here in spring can make. JUCOs usually need that first year to get settled in anyways, even if they are here for spring.

My expectations are very tempered, especially after seeing Jareid Combs, a very highly recruited JUCO player with great JUCO production, go the whole year without a sack. A lot hinges on how quickly they can comes along.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I'm interested in the impact the JUCOs who weren't here in spring can make. JUCOs usually need that first year to get settled in anyways, even if they are here for spring.

My expectations are very tempered, especially after seeing Jareid Combs, a very highly recruited JUCO player with great JUCO production, go the whole year without a sack. A lot hinges on how quickly they can comes along.

Scheme play into that at all? I too was shocked when he ended with 0 sacks. 

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Scheme play into that at all? I too was shocked when he ended with 0 sacks. 

I wouldn't say I was shocked at lack of production in year 1, but 0 sacks was surprising. Most of the time I watched him he wasn't close. Looked slow off the ball and didn't look like he was packing much of a punch either. Some were marveling at his listed size (6'4" 260 lbs) and he had a good 40 time listed. Sounded too good to be true, and it was. I think he needs to play at a more svelte weight, and I think he is now.

• Upvote 1