Endzone Structure: What Do You Call It?

UNTLifer

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Dude. I get that UNT sports are awful right now but that doesn't mean you have to be flat out miserable over everything!!

The wing was a design feature by the architects.  The construction costs of the tail feather/wing was small in comparison and provides some uniqueness over a plain vanilla design or an uneccessary full bowl, at least for now.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Dude. I get that UNT sports are awful right now but that doesn't mean you have to be flat out miserable over everything!!

Dude.......just because I dont paint everything rosy doesn't make me miserable.

The north section is a terrible design and a waste of space. 

Coupled with the bad decision to waste the views of the patio of the AC, the poor design of the north section was justified from the position of..."the wing zone is where we will place our walk-up customer base"...when anyone with any sense of reality would know that we don't have a "walk-up customer base" to put there.  But even if we did that position would be basically saying "we don't care about you, go sit in the lousy seats" at a time when there was no reason to ever build a lousy seat in the first place.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, Ibleedgreen said:

HKS Architects designed our stadium. My son is an architect who worked there at the time. I don't think RV had anything to do with the wing zone. The lead architect on the project and the rest of the staff felt that Apogee's "distinctive" look would be a real plus for the university, and I personally like it, too.

Yeah, I agree, it's unique but that's about it.  

And RV, Brian Bethea and many other university employees absolutely had say over the design,  as well as the design changes in regards to the video board being rescheduled to be placed on the south end as opposed to the north end.

When potential donors were being approached during the quiet period and then later given tours during construction their concerns were already being tamped down with pre explanations of.."that's where we'll put the walk-ups at"...or ..."no worries, that section is designed to be easily removed for expansion when it comes".  

If your having to explain a solution before something is completed then it's a problem that should have never been built in the first place.

The architects had a great idea for the uniqueness of the design.....but for a P5..or maybe a Boise or Old Diminion?  Not for a program averaging 12-14 K.

That's where some leadership from those who should have known better should have stepped in and remind architects who they're designing for.  

They didn't and we're now stuck with a dead section in an otherwise great stadium.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The wingzone is great from a uniqueness standpoint, but it was unnecessary at all from a capacity standpoint.

I wouldn't fill it in or even have it at all.

One of RV's mistakes was reacting always to what the fanbase here says. We wanted a 30 or some said 45K stadium. Despite the fact as @FirefightnRick said only averaged 12-14K (which is low). Even so we never had even averaged 20K fans. It was crazy. It should have been built at 25K with room to expand. There are plenty of very cool looking stadiums that don't feel small at that size. Then you would have put a premium on season tickets because of the increased demand. That Houston game itself would have sold more season tickets, because people would have bought them just to guarantee they could get into that game.

He always overreacted to what was said here see Dan McCarney who fit the bill for what the majority here wanted. An experienced coach who had succeeded at a typically difficult place to succeed so it was definitely going to work here. Not so much.

It some of the same stuff people are saying now about the new AD needing to either be from UNT (lunacy) or having had success at a place where it's difficult  or needs to understand the unique culture at UNT. No they don't, They need to be able to turn around a flailing brand with creative and bold ideas.

Anyway, back to the wingzone, we're stuck with it, and it will look cool filled up if we ever get this thing going.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

An empty mistake....as I told RV it would be.

Rick

I see it as a BIG, forever reminder of the incompetence of RV's tenure. We get one shot at getting it right and the AD totally and completely screws it up.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 6/7/2016 at 2:27 PM, foutsrouts said:

Designate the upper rows as Academy of Math and Science seats and call it "The Geek's Peak" (or Beak).

Or you could always make it Greek seating and go with "The Greeks Peak" (or Beak).

Then again you could donate it to the campus "Hippies" and call it the "The Freaks Peak". Give away an all expenses paid bus trip to Colorado in the 4th quarter of every home game.

It was supposed to be called Bleak Peak until RV resigned.

• Upvote 1